Mike Gendron & GLC get a dose of counter evangelism (and don't like it)

[FONT=Arial][size=3]Hostility Towards the Gospel

by Mike Gendron

[/size][/FONT]

On the second Sunday of January, nine zealous Roman Catholics came to Grace Life Church of Dallas from all over Texas. They asked to be “evangelized” and to hear what non-Catholics had to say about “their” Bible. The meeting was initiated by members of a group called St. Paul Street Evangelization after they heard that members of Grace Life Church were evangelizing at a Catholic church on Christmas Eve. The reports they heard were true. In fact, my wife Jane and I, along with seven other members of our church, went out to wish Catholics a Merry Christmas and ask them to describe the greatest gift they had ever received. Not one of the 300 Catholics we engaged said their greatest gift was eternal life. So we offered them our Greatest Gift Gospel (which contains only Scripture) and many of them thanked us.

I was amazed that Catholics would come from as far away as Houston, Austin and Tyler to hear the biblical Gospel at an evangelical church. Shortly after the meeting started with the St. Paul Street Evangelization group, we found out their motives were not really to be evangelized. I opened with a 25-minute Gospel presentation stressing the sufficiency of Jesus Christ and the supreme authority of His Word, then welcomed questions from the audience. Along with the nine Catholics, there were about 25 members of Grace Life Church present to answer their objections and defend the biblical Gospel. **The Catholics became agitated and hostile because “non-Catholics” were trying to evangelize members of the “One True Church.” The meeting lasted for 3 1/2 hours as small groups formed to continue the discussion. While we were successful in delivering the message of the Gospel with clarity and compassion, it was apparent that the seed of God’s imperishable Word was not falling on fertile soil.

I was reminded of two biblical truths that were evident during our meeting. First, we were powerless to convince Catholics to believe the Gospel because “the natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned” (1 Cor. 2:14). Second, “the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ” (2 Cor. 4:4). We know that God is the only one who can open the prideful eyes of those who are blinded by religious indoctrination. The blessing of seeing God’s glory revealed in Christ is granted only to those who are recipients of God’s sovereign grace. Knowing this biblical truth, I am forever indebted to God’s grace and for His delivering me out of spiritual darkness into the glorious light of His Son. To Him be all glory and praise!

(emphasis mine)

Does anyone know if SPSE has an account of this anywhere because I seriously doubt that Gendron is telling it as it really happened. I applaud the St. Paul Street Evangelists for their courage and commitment in taking on these people and making an effort to reach them reasonably with the truth. It would be great if there was some video taken by them. :thumbsup:
(Cont’d)

I suspect that our brothers and sisters were reacting to the “agitated and hostile” attitude that they faced from the GLC people. After all…look who they follow. Mike Gendron…and we’ve seen many times the attitude he cops with us Catholics.

[LIST]
*]Response to Hard Questions to Ask Good Catholics (By Mike Gendron)
*]Refuting anti-Catholic tract: “Rome vs The Bible” by Mike Gendron
*]Refuting: “Is a Catholic Christian an Oxymoron?”
*] Refuting Mike Gendron’s attacks on Eucharistic Adoration
*]Refuting Mike Gendron’s tract “Are You Being Deceived?”
*] Mike Gendron doesn’t like me. (Glory be to God!!!)
*]Refuting Mike Gendron’s “Do Pope Francis’s Remarks Have Prophetic Implications?”
*]Mike Gendron’s lies and he wanted to see Pope Benedict XVI
*]Refuting Mike Gendron’s ‘Another Jesus?”
*] Mike Gendron “witnesses” to Priest in confession.
[/LIST]
The last part (just like very biased title) is just Gendron’s self-serving, feel better, rhetoric as he seeks to justify the fact that faithful Catholics politely (unlike he and his wife and followers have done on so many occasions) arranged for a meeting and his propaganda proved ineffective at shaking the faith of those who actually know the Word of God and what church actually teaches.

I doubt that he realizes that we could have said the exact same thing about him and his people.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Wow…I would really like to get “their” side of the story on this one.

I searched online…and this is what I found on their website:

streetevangelization.com/

St. Paul Street Evangelization is a grassroots, non-profit Catholic evangelization organization, dedicated to responding to the mandate of Jesus to preach the Gospel to all nations by taking our Catholic Faith to the streets. We do this in a non-confrontational way, allowing the Holy Spirit to move in the hearts of those who witness our public Catholic presence. As an on-the-street Catholic evangelization organization, St. Paul Street Evangelization provides an avenue for you to share the Person of Jesus Christ and the truth and beauty of the Catholic Faith with a hungry culture. With 100 different chapters throughout the world

I am sure there is more to the story that MG is not telling us…:thumbsup::shrug:

Is there a way one of the high-profile folks on here could ask 'em? I, too, would like the Catholic side of this story.

I have motion sickness from the “spin”.

Here’s one of several articles from Deeper Truth blog related to the Christmas Eve incident:

deepertruthblog.com/blogsite/the-catholic-defender-mike-gendron-on-the-warpath/

I was there. Gendron spoke alright. When it was our turn to speak we were
Interrupted and ignored. Gendron told us all the usual blather, that we needed
To renounce our meaningless Baptisms, start believing in the Bible Alone,
On and on.
You will soon see further responses from others in our group.
Take everything Gendron says with huge grains of salt.

Paul Mathers

I was there as well. No hostility or anything close to it. In fact we traded email and other contact info with many of the CLC members and had a few interested in the Catholic faith. They have an EXTREMELY high turnover. They meet in a day care facility which is an upgrade I guess from the puppet theater they were meeting in. We pointed out the errors in their fallible interpretations of Scripture but were not given time to really respond. We were extremely effective when we broke into small groups and Gendron was not in control any more. He adamantly opposed the small group idea before the meeting but we did it anyway. :slight_smile: he also demanded that the talk would be over if any of us brought up Sacred Tradition of the Fathers. Which was ok, because the Church can back everything up with the Bible she gave the world. PAX!! Jeff Hutchins

Thanks for the reminder Jeff.

Just to repeat, 2 Criteria that Mr Gendron set prior to agreeing to meet with us,
were that we had to stick to Sola Scriptura, and could NOT bring up anything
about Tradition or the Early Church Fathers.
Why do you suppose that is? Could it be because he knows that those 2 things
blow him out of the water?

Paul Mathers

I was there as well.
First, I have from first hand information that when this group of 9, including Mike Gendron and his wife, went to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Keller on Christmas Eve, they were outside of the Church BUT they also eventually walked INTO the Church itself to talk to Catholics before they could leave the building. They asked them various questions, including, as Gendron states, asking about whether they had the greatest gift - eternal life. They were handing out tracts. They spoke with clergy as well. They were asked to leave by the clergy and were told to leave their premises since they did not have permission to be there. Once they left they went across the street, and from first hand information, I was told that they then started to use a loud speaker to proclaim their beliefs.

A group of us in North Texas heard about this because they were announcing the “successful event” on one of their facebook pages. We then confirmed from the priest of the parish that this had happened. We all decided to then see if these 9 people would be interested in actually sitting down and talking with well-informed Catholics about our differences in beliefs. We soon discovered, after contacting them, that Mike Gendron was a part of this group.

A group of 9 of us, who knew each other through our work together with St. Paul Street Evangelization in Texas, made arrangements to meet with Mike Gendron and his group of 9 evangelists. We had asked to possibly divide up into smaller groups since 18 people would make for a difficult conversation setting. Gendron refused. We then arranged a date.

We arrive at their facility and were actually surprised to see not only 9 people but a room FULL of people there - easily 30. We sit down and Gendron starts preaching his interpretation of Scripture for 20 minutes without stopping. We begin to ask him questions and make comments of our own but it was challenging in that setting.
Through the grace of God, I believe, at one point, small conversations started to begin throughout the room. 2-3 of us began talking to the 3-4+ members of his community sitting around us. We spoke for 1-2 hours this way. As Jeff mentioned above, it was definitely NOT what Gendron had wanted! But it was very good and I do feel that it was fruitful.
As Jeff mentioned, we exchanged emails with various members and will be in touch with them to continue our conversations.

It was interesting though because in my own group for example, there were 4 members of their community and at one point it became evident that they even disagreed with each other! The two men believed in double predestination, irresistible grace and that not all men were redeemed. While one of the ladies sitting there listening seemed to be shocked because she completely disagreed with these members of her own community!

When Gendron stated that we were “agitated” and “hostile” I really do not know what he is referring to. The entire time we were there, discussions with disagreements occurred but I never once heard any yelling or loud voices! We were all passionate no doubt but we all left shaking hands with each other.

I truly believe this was fruitful and I can say for certain that myself and the other 8 Catholics with me who participated in these discussions did so with kindness and were motivated solely with love for Christ and for all those we were talking with!
Allison

Hello everyone this is Gene and I was there as well. One thing that surprised us was how many of the leaders in Gendron’s group are 5 point Calvinists. In our conversations with the other members we could tell that they were not aware of this fact. We talked about how God desires all men to be saved and gives sufficient grace to all men to be saved. The Calvinist leaders rejected this truth and said Christ did not die for all men or give grace to all men. The ordinary folks at Grace Life agreed with us so they have no idea that Gendron is a 5 point Calvinist, a point he was forced to make when he was later interviewed on Catholic radio in Dallas.
As was stated earlier Gendron would not allow us to bring up the Church Fathers and he said he would not allow us to break up into small groups as we had requested. That ended up happening as Gendron lost control of the meeting. Everyone was nice and we had good conversations. I don’t know where Mike Gendron is getting the idea we were hostile and agitated.

That ended up happening as Gendron lost control of the meeting. Everyone was nice and we had good conversations.[sign][FONT=Garamond][size=5]***Glory Be To God!***[/sign] I’m really glad all you guys showed up to help set the record straight. I had no doubt that Gendron was spinning the story to suit his own agenda.

I applaud your courage and zeal for the faith that led you guys to do this.[/size][/FONT]

[24] The LORD bless you and keep you:
[25] The LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you:
[26] The LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.
(Numbers 6:24-26)

I don’t know where Mike Gendron is getting the idea we were hostile and agitated.

Because that’s the way he wants to portray us. In this he is about as bad as Jack Chick’s propaganda tracts about us. If you go back and read the links to my articles above you’ll see there’s a pattern of this kind of misrepresentation. It’s not something one expects to see in a professing Christian and most definitely not a clergyman.

Oh WOW! Praise God for the SPSE group! I did not know there was a group in Texas. I’m close to the Houston area (1-hr east of Houston) and would LOVE to visit with any near-by members. :smiley:

Wow, you guys are great! God bless your efforts to educate people to the truth and beauty of Christ’s Church. :slight_smile:

I checked the blog…just type in gendron in the search box, and more writings about the event at the parish and the visit by catholics to MG’s church…deepertruthblog.com/blogsite/the-catholic-defender-mike-gendron-at-it-again/

Apparently, MG was also interviewed on Catholic radio there…hope some one can post a podcast of the interview.

Hi All,

I was also one of the members of St. Paul Street Evangelization in attendance. To clear an earlier point, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is in Plano, TX. It is the nearest parish to the daycare center where Grace Life of Dallas meets.

Everything my brothers and sisters in Christ stated above is accurate.
I was involved in a discussion with Mr. Gendron’s wife, Jan.

She was very cordial and we shared stories about my kids and her grandchild. She told me she was once Catholic and had to leave the Church once she saw how unbiblical the teachings were. My friendly reply was that oddly enough, it was the Bible that brought me into the Church just two years ago.

She asked me how I could believe Catholicism was biblical based on what I had just heard from her husband about what the Church teaches about having to earn grace. I told her that I did hear what Mr. Gendron said, however, it is not what the Church teaches. I guided her to paragraph 1996 of the Catechism where it states:
[LIST]“Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to his call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life.”
[/LIST]

Her reply was “It may say that there, but I know it says you have to earn your grace somewhere else in there.”
My obvious question was “Can you show me where?”
Her response: “Where you not listening to Mike telling you that it’s in there?”
I had to tell her that I could not take Mike’s word for what the Catholic Church teaches if he can not show me where.

Jan then began to ask me how I could be so blind and follow a religion or a Pope who is just a man instead of Jesus.
I told her I was in fact following Jesus as Jesus intended, through His Church, and that I could not blindly follow a man like Mr. Gendron.

This was the end of our conversation.

Here is the radio broadcast from 910AM Guadalupe Radio - Dallas
s3.amazonaws.com/SharedPublic/Mike+Gerndon+vs+St+Paul+Street+Interview+GRN+Interview.mp3
If you are interested in getting involved with SPSE, please visit our website www.streetevangelization.com/get-involved/

God bless,
Oscar Cavazos
SPSE-Collin County, TX

Oh my, could she not hear herself invoke the name of Mike repeatedly? The irony. The sad fact is, every believer in Christ outside the Church is doing the same thing. At some point we all have to trust men, whether living or dead, to have given us the truth about our faith. I’d rather trust the Magisterium than Mike. :slight_smile:

SPSE is truly living up to their namesake here. They went to the people, met them were they were, and preached the Gospel Truth. Outnumbered and in what could have been hostile grounds, they boldly and calmly and reasonably defended the Faith. This is what “the new evangelization” looks like folks!!! It might not be exactly as we see it happening here, but when others attack out Christian Faith, we do NOT have to be afraid to proclaim the Truth of the Catholic Church. God is with us! The Saints are with us! The Holy Spirit is with us! We have the Kingdom of God on our side!!

Wow. Thanks, SPSE folks.

I can only think that Mike Gendron is hanging onto his anger and aggressiveness out of reflex, out of fear of change, out of pride. I know well what it’s like to hang on to that kind of anger, having done so for several years before I finally allowed myself to let it go.

I feel bad for Mr. Gendron, because that kind of anger is like a hot coal: burning and scarring you as long as you hold on to it.

[/size][/FONT]

God bless you for your courage and wisdom in dealing with her. As all my articles linked above show Gendron’s message can never be trusted, not even when he preaches from the Bible because he pulls things out of the context of scripture to make the willing see what he wants them to see. The fact that his wife seems to do precisely what they so often allege that we do with her husband’s teachings is a sad and disturbing sort of irony.

I have seen many places where Mike Gendron has pulled bits out of the context of the Catechism to the use as a straw man to demolish, which, apparently suffices for many of his followers who haven’t got the good sense to ***[FONT=Palatino Linotype]“Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” (2nd Timothy 2:15***) Why they persist after being shown the difference in black and white by knowledgeable Catholics is mystifying to say the least, and could even mean that Jan’s allegation against you is applicable to her instead.

Here is the radio broadcast from 910AM Guadalupe Radio - Dallas
s3.amazonaws.com/SharedPublic/Mike+Gerndon+vs+St+Paul+Street+Interview+GRN+Interview.mp3

If you are interested in getting involved with SPSE, please visit our website www.streetevangelization.com/get-involved/

God bless,
Oscar Cavazos
SPSE-Collin County, TXThanks for posting this link. I’ve had PMs from people wanting it.[/FONT]

[SIGN]***Lord have Mercy!***[/SIGN]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.