Mike Huckabee says liberal Red Hen owners harassed daughter even more

Thanks for your imperatives, but I am happy to make my own decisions about when to respond and what response a post is worth.

You reminded me of this cartoon fellow:

is that…could that be Huckleberry Hound?

one of my favorite cartoon characters from long ago. thanks for the memories.

There is nothing in Church teaching that would give anyone the benefit of the doubt, particularly when we know someone has an ax to grind. As scripture tells us, test everything!

That is Huckleberry hound! I loved him when I was very little. I think now the repeats are on “Boomerang” .

1 Like

I’d say the Catechism guides us in this area.

You are free to believe what you want, though I haven’t see anyone offer a refutation of Governor Huckabee’s claim. There has also been no evidence to support it.

Thus, the discussion of the benefit of the doubt. Snd unless you have spoken to Gov Huckabee, I doubt you know whether he has an axe to grind.

2 Likes

Except the Catechism:

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty:

- of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;

- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another’s statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.

2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one’s neighbor. Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.

And Scripture:

1 Cor 13

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

3 Likes

Taking the Snopes account that face value. We do know that while some aspects of his story remain plausible, evidence for others was lacking, and at least one was false. Sadly he did not resopnd, so far, to Snopes. He made a very public statement, and really shoudl back itup.

ROFL
Evidence was lacking because they didn’t really do an investigation. Speaking to a couple businesses down the street, and an employee of the Red Hen maybe?

Their diligence far exceeded that of CNS, FOX, or any of the others in the echo chamber, who “got nothing” and still reported it as though it were news.

1 Like

Indeed, there is some dispute as to whether what he said was accurate. I have not made a judgement as to whether he is being truthful or untruthful, I am just pointing out that we as Catholics are not under any obligation to give him any benefit of the doubt. There is nothing in the catechism that you posted that remotely suggests that. If I said “Mike is a liar” or something like that, you might have an issue.

Somehow, I doubt that he is an unbiased observer in affairs surrounding his daughter. But I could be wrong, I will grant you that. I know some people who truly hate their kids and we have to be open to that as a possibility here.

why do we have to be open to the possibility Mike Huckabee hates his daughter?
i believe Mike Huckabee and his daughter are both Christians.

i would call him a biased observer because he cares for his daughter, but i do not think he would intentionally be untruthful.

The poster that I was responding to seemed to take issue with the fact that I thought Mike cared for his daughter. If he wants to dispute that, I am certainly willing to be open to the alternative. I don’t think assuming he cares for his daughter is unreasonable.

oh okay. thanks for your explanation.

assuming he cares for his daughter is certainly more reasonable than he hates his daughter anyway.

One would hope at least!

1 Like

For all we know the owner at the Red Hen had a kitchen staff in full revolt over feeding Sarah Huckabee Sanders. It’s much easier to handle some mild political fallout than to run without a back of house kitchen staff.

Again though, we can discriminate based on First Amendment differences and that’s now Law.

depending where you live. in some states, what she did, she could have been fined.

If it’s the “Red Hen” in Virginia on Washington street a Google Maps 360 photo shows it is located on a corner. Across one street is a building with a sign saying the building is used for some historical society. Across the other street. Google maps doesnt show any restaurants across the street. But if one goes to around to the opposite corner of the block a restaurant can be found.

This is the location I looked at.

The Red Hen Lex
11 E Washington St, Lexington, VA 24450

https://goo.gl/maps/8orfCtDY4gn

I can see five restaurant/pubs within two small town blocks.

Snopes established that the party went around the block, “not across the street” to the Southern Inn for dinner; there is no restaurant “across the street”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.