Miley Cyrus "just being herself" at the VMAs

The latest viral of pop culture is Miley Cyrus’ performance channeling Madonna and Lady Gaga for the VMA (Video Music Awards) held in Brooklyn this past weekend. Let’s just say it was, um, liberating? Is that the right word? I guess freedom of expression, artistically, if you even want to say that, is taken up a new level - or maybe down depending on your standards.

slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/26/will_smith_and_jaden_smith_reaction_to_miley_cyrus_at_the_vmas_no_that_wasn.html

Of course the common excuses came to her aid saying:

[LIST]
she’s of legal age, therefore she’s an “adult”[/list]
[list]she’s in her “wild/exploring” phase[/list]
[list]it’s not a big deal since she isn’t a drug or alcohol addict
[/LIST]

Or she’s been possessed.

Pray for her and her agent. Her wildly, grossly immoral behavior should be a message to all parents. When your daughter turns 18, she’s still your daughter.

Peace,
Ed

It is very sad to see this young lady degenerate. I pray that she receives intervention before she destroys herself.

What in the world did I just see…Oh! Lord have mercy on this world… :frowning:

It’s been truly awful to hear about this young girl going as fast as she can into utter depravity. I don’t know about some of the attitudes of surprise that are being expressed in the media about this however. It’s the “natural” progression of a sick culture aided and abetted by the media … And when did this really start happening? Well, you can probably go back 100 years and talk about certain types of theater or early silent films, or pre-code Hollywood as the modern era beginnings of degraded depictions of womanhood.

But more recently, we have the grandmother of the current troop of young girl celebrities behaving in this manner: Madonna (and I really dislike having to use the name of Our Lady to refer to her, considering her terrible reputation.

And Miley has just taken into the next logical level…consider Brittny Spears and all the others before her … they were bad too … it’s just that things are worse and worse and worse than ever before and Miley is acting that out.

I’m very sorry for her and her family and all the girls who admired her when she was “Hannah Montana” … although that was the beginning of all the ugliness that comes with being held up as a IDOL by the masses and all the corrupting money and fame that comes with it.

She’s in my prayers.

Have hope in God and do not fear the world.

Peace,
Ed

this shows the results of taking a young person, sticking them in front of the camera to do some show and have themselves hyped up beyond what any normal person could ever handle, have no moral code or center, have their family spilt up and this is what one gets. The hyperactive pop culture that promotes youthful stars only to have them crash and burn and degenerate later on is truly very sad. Compare Miley Cyrus to some of our young saints like St. Theresa of Liseaux and you realize that the world is so destructive to our young. I’ll stick with our young saints.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but do people not get how messed up kids are nowadays, women in our country are treated so disgustingly because we fail to teach kids virtue and this generation needs it the most! It is just shameful this was allowed to be performed. Lord have Mercy on us!

Indeed. I just watched it to see what the fuss was about, and the comment that escaped me at one point was, “Now, that’s just nasty.” :eek:

I’m a woman, and I wouldn’t expect to find the antics of a teenaged girl “sexy” in any case, but that weird thing with the tongue–would men find that attractive? I guess maybe there are a lot of men out there who prefer girls who exhibit a complete lack of grace, taste, and shame? Maybe she tried to be as sexy as possible to cover the fact that she’s not really a good dancer?

Frankly, she looked to me like someone who was desperately trying to do anything possible to get noticed and prolong her career, not like some elemental sex spirit. I found it less disturbing than sad. But I’m quite far indeed from being the intended audience.

I pray she finds herself while there’s still something there.

–Jen

Honestly, I thought she looked like an escaped lunatic, then I realized she was just an embarrassment unaware that there is such a thing. Poor kid.

Agree with Jen. I just saw a lack of talent. And a sad attempt to cover that up but just ended up being nasty.

I’m with you on this one. What I noticed first was the very poor dancing. I that is what might have given it the thumbs down by the general public. I have seen vulgar before - but vulgar and no talent/training sinks it to a new low. I actually felt sorry for her. Like you say, she looked desperate.

I am curious to know what everyone is talking about, but I am resisting the urge to watch whatever was posted. Is it really a good idea to post a link? Lets pray for her. She used to at least appear to a sweet young girl.

My reaction was “Ewww.”

I’m a woman, and I wouldn’t expect to find the antics of a teenaged girl “sexy” in any case, but that weird thing with the tongue–would men find that attractive? I guess maybe there are a lot of men out there who prefer girls who exhibit a complete lack of grace, taste, and shame? Maybe she tried to be as sexy as possible to cover the fact that she’s not really a good dancer?

That is what it looked like to me as well. She didn’t seem to have much rhythm. Or grace, as you said. And wasn’t the man that was singing with her, married? I wonder what his wife thought of Cyrus grinding her butt to his privates. :frowning:

Frankly, she looked to me like someone who was desperately trying to do anything possible to get noticed and prolong her career, not like some elemental sex spirit. I found it less disturbing than sad. But I’m quite far indeed from being the intended audience.

It seemed that most of the adults in the audience were trying to find somewhere else to look while she was dancing. There is a picture of Will Smith (and his family) watching Cyrus. They looked disgusted. :shrug:

I pray she finds herself while there’s still something there.

–Jen

I do as well, Jen, I do as well.

All the excuses aside, what it comes down to is a child screaming, “I’m an adult”. Through all her shouting she reveals her childishness. She is desperate to show that she isn’t the little girl who played Hanna Montana. But the more she shouts the more immature she shows herself to be.

She is a legal adult, and she can do as she will, even if that means parading around as a train wreck. We have seen it before with Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan. Eventually she will collapse and it will be all over the news. Just what the media wants, and probably the general public.

Her dad is an idiot who probably thinks her behavior is cool. I think what this should show parents is that they need to prepare their children for freedom as adults. There will come a time when they are free to do as they will, and their parents won’t be able to do a thing about it. Be careful that you prepare them for that, so that they aren’t desperate to prove they are a man, or a woman by shouting at the top of their lungs, “look at me, I do what I want, so I’m a woman.”

Miley Cyrus is the least of our worries. On the news tonight in my hometown an 8 year old boy stabbed his 4 year old sister in the necked when they fighting over a doll. Another male child who was 8 shot and killed his elderly care giver. And another male child tried to drive the family truck and ran over and killed his 16 month old sister. I wonder where are the parents of these children. What will happen to these children? I can’t even imagine how traumatized these families are. I don’t know what to say or pray for these families. All I can so is say a Hail Mary

I miss Hannah Montana. And I never watched it (except when our granddaughter was here).

I agree. Miley Cyrus is only an expression of a broader problem. Look at all the mass shootings. It is constant violence anymore. Every year there are a couple mass shootings like the one in Colorodo last year or Sandyhook. Why are there so many psychos out there now? There wasn’t a problem of school shootings twenty years ago. Why is there so much violence now? I don’t think it can be blamed on drugs or guns, because both of those were just as accessible and prevalent before. Is it just the ultimate effect of nihilism on our culture? The west has embraced nihilism, even Christianity has subconsciously embraced it. It subconsciously affects the way we think and behave. We have to prove our own value by doing something great. Maybe murder is their way of going down in the history books, since they are incapable of proving themselves in any other way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.