Miley Cyrus says Vanity Fair photo spread embarrasses her

nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-People-Miley-Cyrus.html?scp=3&sq=Miley+Cyrus&st=nyt

Fifteen year old child star Miley Cyrus, of Hannah Montana fame, is embarrassed about some photos that were taken of her by photographer Annie Leibovitz. these photos will be appearing in the upcoming issue of Vanity Fair magazine. One photo shows Miley wrapped in a satin sheet, looking over her shoulder, with her bare back exposed.

These photos are already all over the place on the internet. One of the photos show what looks to me to be a pretty provocative pose. Miley Cyrus is a 15 year old minor child. The photographer, Annie Leibovitz is an adult. Although Miley’s father apparently was present during the photo shoot, I think that the photographer should get arrested and be charged with child endangerment. Actually, maybe the father should get locked up too, along with the people who publish Vanity Fair magazine.

No sure how shocked one can be after the fact - we are talking digital. The pictures are displayed instantly.:confused: What was going on during the photo shoot? Where were the objections? Where were the parents or guardians while the sheet was being draped around her bare back for the pictures?

These were digital photos - artist says all photos were viewed first - where were the protests at that point?

This is not the photographers fault. This is the parents problem - and shame on them if this is how they are going to start promoting their child star.:mad:

I’ve said it for a long time, she’s going down the wrong road just like all the other ones…Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Jamie-Lynn Spears, Vanessa Hudgens… :frowning:

She should get out of the business while she’s ahead. She’s 15 and already worth a billion dollars.

At least she has the good sense to be ashamed, unlike some of the other pop-tarts who are brazenly flaunting themselves! Let’s hope she learns a lesson from this.

It is nice that she is speaking out, but she must shoulder part of the blame as well. She took her clothes of for VANITY FAIR, what did she expect the photo to look like?

This also says a lot about the character of both vanity fair’s editor and the photographer. What kind of sicko publishes photos like that of a 15 year old?

Hmmm… I don’t think the photo is as blatantly sexual as much as it is over-exposed and vulnerable. The exposed back is not appropriate for a child this age IMO. They could have gotten the same raw, innocent look with clothes on- and that’s what they should have done.

I don’t blame Miley for this. She followed the advice of the photographer and didn’t have mature enough judgment to understand this was too risque. The business is treating her like an adult, and a physical commodity. Her father is the one who people should be raising eyes at for not insisting on more decorum for his daughter.

Here’s the thing, these are not the first questionable photos to show up. She is absolutely heading down that road as the others.

As for her being embarrassed, I feel Disney put the pressure on her to apologize. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Did anyone see her on the country music awards? Her dad & her sang a duet & the dress she wore was not a dress you’d see your everyday 15 year old wearing. I wouldn’t even wear it it was so low cut.

My 11 yr. old lost her interest in Miley about a year ago. :smiley:
My DD has always liked Hilary Duff & Raven. And so far both of these girls have kept themselves out of this trap. Thank God!

I guess we all really need to pray for the Cyrus’. Hopefully they can turn around before it’s too late.

Am I the only one who was more bothered by the “daddy-daughter” photo (with Miley’s bare midriff) than by the bare shoulder one?

I have dozens of photos of me and my dad (I was Daddy’s girl from the word “go”) and I sure never posed with MY dad that way!

It struck me as odd also.

Am I the only one who was more bothered by the “daddy-daughter” photo (with Miley’s bare midriff) than by the bare shoulder one?

I have dozens of photos of me and my dad (I was Daddy’s girl from the word “go”) and I sure never posed with MY dad that way!

Nope, not the only one. I thought the bare back one I saw was questionable but the the one with Billy Ray was really cringe-worthy.

She should get out of the business while she’s ahead. She’s 15 and already worth a billion dollars.

I totally agree.

‘‘I think it’s really artsy,’’ she told the magazine at the time. ‘‘It wasn’t in a skanky way. Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought that was really cool. That’s what she wanted me to do, and you can’t say no to Annie.’’

The section that I underlined bothered me. It sounds like Miley was very star struck by this particular photographer.

That bothered me as well. I always thought of Miley as a good role model for girls at first but now I’m not so sure. Did you see the first line of the article about Sex in the City being her favorite show. That alone makes me sick.

I used to model. I have various opinions about this. 1st well, I was 17 almost 18 when I started, so I was a little older than Milely. My parents were ALMOST always with me. But, even then sometimes the photographer would ask them to leave so I would be “more comfortable.”

In regards to what Miley said… Well… I buy it, and I don’t think that it was becausee she was “star struck.” The thing is you can not see what they are seeing with their lenses. I was a pretty modest young lady, but, I got talked into doing some pictures similar to what Miley did. The photoghrapher is often snapping the pictures fast, and they always “assure” you that “you can’t see anything, you are covered up, and you look innocent.”

Overall there is a lot of blame that can be placed here, but, hopefully she learned a lesson. We ALL make mistakes, and she happens to make them in the lime light. Been there done that (well I wasn’t famous, but I made mistakes).

Oh man… I didn’t see that. I have always been impressed with her mom and dad with her. Where are they on all of this? I love Miley, so does my daughter and niece. This puts a different spin on my last comments.

Sex in the City gives a really warped perspective of the world to the average 30-year old, let alone a 15-year old who has no idea that this isn’t real, and there is nothing glamorous about sleeping around/etc.

:blush: Saying that, the truth is I have never seen a whole episode, (in fact I never watch TV at all, I know it’s weird to most people) but I am* pretty sure * the characters have the attitude that it’s no big deal to sleep with someone without any commitment, let alone marriage.

Not only is it no big deal to the characters, but sometimes they actually prefer sleeping around without commitment.

Yes, I can understand what you were saying. You said much better what I meant. Maybe admire would have been a better choice of words then ‘star struck’.

There is something troubling about the fact that our society is very gradually sexualizing children at a younger and younger age. Miley isn’t even old enough to have a driver’s license yet.

In my household, Miley isn’t even old enough to stay up past 11:D

Yeah…well, I think Disney probably pressured her to do it, but the party girls always apologize but aren’t ever really sorry. Hopefully Miley really is. Everyone is just pressuring her to grow up so fast…you can tell that from her dad’s song “Ready…Set…Don’t Go.” :rolleyes:

No…that was disgusting and very odd.

You’re a good mom, Jen. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.