Militant atheists should 'get over it' and accept UK is Christian

Militant atheists should “get over it” and accept that Britain is a Christian nation, a minister has said.

Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, hit out at opponents of religion who try and “impose” their “politically correct intolerance”.

Mr Pickles in 2012 changed the law to ensure that councils could not face legal challenges for including prayers in public meetings.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10747980/Militant-atheists-should-get-over-it-and-accept-UK-is-Christian.html

I lived in the UK from 1987 to 1991. At that time the UK had a thin veneer of cultural Christianity with scattered pockets of true believers. I really doubt that much has changed in the last 23 years.

I sympathize with Eric’s frustrations, but these statements aren’t the right rapport to set with the opposition. If you’re going to go down, it’s best to go down as shrewd as a serpent and as innocent as a dove.

UK politics tend to be more rambunctious than American politics, but all the more reason to surprise people.

From what I read of Brits I know the majority of them christen their children and get married in a church under a vicar, like a lot of Americans. But that’s the most they really do with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.