Military Times survey: Troops prefer Trump to Clinton by a huge margin

In a new survey of American military personnel, Donald Trump emerged as active-duty service members’ preference to become the next U.S. president, topping Hillary Clinton by more than a 2-to-1 margin. However, in the latest Military Times election survey, more than one in five troops said they’d rather not vote in November if they have to choose between just those two candidates.

But given only those choices, 21 percent of the service members surveyed said they would abstain from voting.More than 54 percent of the 951 troops Military Times surveyed said they would vote for Trump, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, over Clinton, the Democratic front-runner. Only about 25 percent said they would vote for Clinton in that matchup.

militarytimes.com/story/military/election/2016/05/09/military-times-survey-donald-trump-beats-hillary-clinton/84132402/

I think the Military usually trends towards the conservatives. With Trump stating how he will “rebuild” the military, I think many see their jeopardized jobs a bit more secure.

I’m surprised this even warrants being called news. Obama and the Democrats have been fairly anti-military for quite a while, and have worked to reduce our military. Of course military men and women would rally behind someone who supports their career and their desire to honor their country by serving in it’s military.

Well, well - here come the “authentic conservatives” that so many here on the forum are saying won’t vote for Trump!:thumbsup: :smiley:

Today’s military are well-trained, motivated, brave, willing to sacrifice themselves for higher goals, accepting of responsibility.

Obviously, nobody should pay attention to people like that. :rolleyes:

Our troops love their country and are smart and courageous, no doubt about it, so I’m surprised they would rally around Trump. I think he is more likely than Clinton to spill their blood needlessly because of his ignorance of foreign policy and history. Think of Dubya and the mess he got us into. I guess the question is will Trump listen to the military before engaging in new and large-scale conflicts?

Yeah. I don’t see the military liking him that much. The article says IF they were FORCED to vote between only these two candidates that this is what the outcome would be. Also, of that “forced” outcome (so not truly accurate) 25% would refuse to vote. I think that’s saying something. It isn’t saying they like Trump, far from it.

I wouldn’t trust Trump to know his right hand from his left when it came to running the military. :rolleyes:

I’m active duty military.

I’d probably tend toward trusting Trump more than Hilary. Far are from perfect characters though.

Other polls have shown that about 20 - 25% of registered voters plan to not vote this election, so this is in line with that trend. That leaves the enthusiasm among their supporters as a crucial issue. Trump will likely win on that.

I am former military and am the recipient of about 10 emails a day from about 60 friends who are retired fellow veterans and current active duty, who forward emails with news stories, political jokes, etc. Not a single one of them is pro-Hillary. All are pro-Trump. Make of that what you will.

I never indicated they would be pro-Hillary. I was merely stating that there was no option but to vote Trump or Hilary. There was no third party option. Still 25% would rather not vote then have to be forced to choose one of those two options.

You cannot be serious.

Trump opposed Iraq. Hillary enthusiastically endorsed it (until it became unpopular).

Hillary started a war in Libya and turned it over to terrorists.

Hillary ran guns from Libya into Syria to arm rebel groups, some of which are jihadi groups, getting the U.S. ambassador murdered in the process.

Hillary supported the Muslim Brotherhood’s takeover in Egypt, sparking a brief civil war.

Did you watch Hillary laugh at Khaddaffi’s torture-death on film? The woman is a razor-wire hawk, and seems to delight in war. She’s so war-loving she even falsified being shot at in Kosovo.

I am former military and am the recipient of about 10 emails a day from about 60 friends who are retired fellow veterans and current active duty, who forward emails with news stories, political jokes, etc. Not a single one of them is pro-Hillary. All are pro-Trump. Make of that what you will.

I think we have to concede the military aspect and police/first responders to Trump, he appears way ahead in this area and its very telling.

Indeed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.