Militia takes over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters

The Bundy family of Nevada joined with hard-core militiamen Saturday to take over the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, vowing to occupy the remote federal outpost 50 miles southeast of Burns for years. oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/drama_in_burns_ends_with_quiet.html

Naturally I heard about first on RT.

The Hammonds have said they will report to prison Monday for a five-year sentence. Bundy said his son felt obligated to intervene on behalf of the Hammonds.opb.org/news/article/militiamen-break-into-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge-building/

What I read was there was a peaceful march in the city followed by a sit-in out in the middle of nowhere.

I don’t know if their case has any merits, but I respect their method of protest. I don’t feel it’s threatening.

Hopefully the take over ends peacefully and the federal gov is wise enough to avoid another Ruby Ridge or Waco. I think all the officials have to do is cut services to the NWR and let all the protesters get bored and filthy. I doubt the protesters will have enough water to last very long.

Here is a link to a CNN article about this:

cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/index.html

That said, I don’t fully understand what they are protesting about. I think it has something to do with the government punishing people for refusing to sell their land or something.

Conflicting reports as to whether the protesters actually went into the building or are simply camping outside of the building or even just blocking the gate which some video seems to show.

They may have simply shown up at the gates and are blocking the gates:

twitter.com/amandapeacher

A group of gunmen seized control of an empty federal building in remote Burns, Oregon, on Saturday, announced they planned to occupy the facility for “years” and called for “patriots” to join them – and bring more guns. The men now occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge building include at least two sons of Cliven Bundy, the rancher whose legal battle with the government over grazing rights culminated in an armed standoff with federal authorities near Bunkerville, Nevada, in 2014.

huffingtonpost.com/entry/oregon-militia-federal-building_568959dfe4b06fa688829f2c

Please merge this thread into the original on page 1.

An empty building. And this is a problem because… :confused:

It sounds like the Feds are not doing anything against these people. They likely have a legitimate complaint.

They may not even have gone into the building actually.

I think a more accurate description would be:

• they conducted a peaceful march in the city
  • they are staging an extended ‘sit-in’ at a building 60 miles out in the wilderness.

This is peaceful civil disobedience, nothing to scare the kiddies over.

And from what I heard, they are not armed; but we don’t have all of the details as of now. I guess if one is really curious, they can search out a lot of articles.

It doesn’t exactly sound like a love in to me:

A militia protesting the “tyranny” of the federal government seized the headquarters of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon on Saturday and, in a video posted to Facebook, called on “patriots” from all over the country to come to the refuge with their guns to join their fight.
vox.com/2016/1/3/10703712/oregon-militia-standoff

Eh, Occupy Wall Street had similar rhetoric, and occupied inhabited places. The media narrative for them, unsurprisingly, was quite different.

This should be a good demonstration of constitutional rights in action. One of the things that pro gunners never answer is how the militia will determine tyranny in government and how the people will triumph en masse over the tyrants. We should see the whole country coming to the aid of these downtrodden red blooded Americans in Oregan as they take up arms in defense of their god given constitutional rights to burn stuff and shoot stuff.

Prove the rest of the world wrong America. Show us your triumph over evil!!!

Lets be honest.
If these guys were Muslims the right-wing would be up in arms.

Some good video rt.com/usa/327762-armed-bundy-militia-oregon-ranchers/

Occupy Wall Street didn’t call for people to come and join in with firearms. They also didn’t seize buildings, although they did occupy public spaces. Not really comparable.

I’m surprised they didn’t call for more beer 'n beef jerky…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.