Millenials are more likely to admit they read or send texts while driving,

Millenials are more likely to admit they read or send texts while driving, according to a new report cbsn.ws/2kU7BQ6

The fine for handling a mobile phone whilst driving in my State in Australia is $353 and 3 demerit points. Once your points balance hits 12 within a 3yr period, you receive a letter to choose between:

1. having your open licence suspended for a requisite period
    or

2. Agreeing to continue driving under a period of good behaviour for 1 year. If you accrue more than 1 demerit point in that year your licence will be suspended for double the requisite suspension period that would have applied had you taken the licence suspension in the first place.

Depending on which Australian state or territory you’re in, the fine for handling a mobile phone while on the move – even when it’s not in use – ranges from $250-$455, and three or four demerit points.

The laws regarding cell phone use vary significantly from state to state in the US and most people are not sure of the laws in their own state or flat out don’t know if their state has a law about it. I think most states have outlawed texting while driving, but unless you outlaw any phone use, it’s hard to really know what a person is doing with the phone. I don’t think there are many states that have an outright ban on any phone use, but some restrict it to blue tooth or headphone use only. Some people are able to use voice text on their phone without even touching it or looking at it. I’m paranoid about even talking on my phone while I’m driving, but sometimes I feel like I’m the only one. I know a few people who expect me to respond to their texts when they are fully aware that I’m driving. When I’ve pointed it out that it isn’t safe for me to text and drive, they say something like, “Oh, I have voice text”

I hate the “m” word. I find it difficult to believe my brother and sister in their 30s, myself and oldest little sister in our 20s, my youngest sisters, 13 and 14, and some of my nieces and nephew are ALL considered millenials. That’s too much of an age disparity to represent a single generation. Anyway, I don’t even like talking on the phone and driving, so I am certainly not going to text and drive.

Both my mother, and I are members of the “baby boomer” generation:shrug:

Personally, I think it’s more of a generational thing. I grew up talking on the phone. My daughter grew up texting. So, obviously she is more likely to text than talk. It won’t be an issue for much longer as voice recognition improves. My vehicle will read texts to me and allow me to respond by voice.

For me, it’s not the laws of the state but the laws of physics that keep me from using my phone when I drive. (The exception is when I start a call before I start driving, and continue on the same call, using a headset.) No call or text is worth dying for. I believe texting is illegal here, but not phone calls, even without a headset. But I haven’t checked recently; it might have changed.

–Jen

Its not just millenials imo, I can think of many people I know over 35 that have admitted to texting while driving. No one I know has ever gotten a ticket for this though.

I also see numerous people doing it while driving, its pretty easy to spot.

If they want this activity to stop though, I dont understand why they go this route, a fine and points off your license? That has NEVER worked at stopping or even slowing down traffic violations, just look at how many folks get caught for speeding daily in just about any city out there.

Why not look to the cell phone industry to fix this problem? Its 2017 and no one can come up with something safer…CMON, I dont believe that for a second. LOL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.