Millennials blamed for yet another product's decline: fabric softener

Times Union:

Millennials blamed for yet another product’s decline: fabric softener

The generation that everyone loves to blame is being accused of killing off yet another beloved household product: this time, it’s fabric softener.The tale of yet another product dying off due to its (lack of) millennial customers is being told by Procter & Gamble. Sales of fabric softener has been declining for years, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article, and Procter & Gamble saw its own fabric softener sales decrease by 26 percent.
The reason? According to the company’s head of global fabric care, millennials “don’t know what the product is for.”

Of course, there are other factors that probably play into the product’s downturn — improvements to washers, dryers and detergents, athleticwear that can’t be washed in fabric softener, as Consumerist points out — but it just seems that consumers (in general) don’t see the point of fabric softener anymore.
That hasn’t stopped Procter & Gamble from trying to “rebrand” and win back some of its lost customers. The company’s new approach is to label its product as “fabric conditioner” instead.

Cynical as to whether that’d work? Turns out it just might … Consumerist reported that sales are up 5 percent across all brands compared with last year.
What else are millennials ruining? Lots of things, it seems: cereal, bar soap, even sex.
See a full list of things that millennials (apparently) hate in the slideshow above.

Gee, I was born in 1957 and I’ve never used fabric softener, never found my clothes to be unduly hard.
Sorry to see millennials falling for that name switch to conditioner.

I don’t use it because it makes fibers less absorbent.

Guilty as charged. Not that my parents ever used it either…

I don’t use the stuff simply cause I prefer my clothes to have no real scent.

But honestly, a lot of the stuff previous generations bought into make no sense. For instance, diamonds (Another industry millennials are destroying), landlines, or voicemail.

My mom used it growing up. I didn’t use it that often because I couldn’t really afford it.My wife is sensitive to whatever they put in detergent and fabric softener so we only use plant based detergents from Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

Voicemail? As in, an answering machine? It drove me crazy whenever I tried to reach someone and couldn’t leave a message. There’s a part of me that wonders how important the message is if it isn’t worth leaving a message…

My mom didn’t use it so neither did I. :shrug:

Dryer sheets work for lightly scenting clothes and reduction of static, wrinkles, pet hairs and lint that floats around in there from time to time.

That reminds me…I don’t iron either. :stuck_out_tongue: Need wrinkles removed? That’s what the wrinkle release setting is for on the dryer! :wink:

Yes. Millennials tend to be a harder bunch!:smiley:

I don’t use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Vinegar achieves the same results as softener, and I use wool dryer balls.

Cheaper and easier. :wink:

I even line dry sometimes! :eek:

Face it. It’s Bush’s fault :smiley:

Ed

My mom never used fabric softener. Does anyone remember Bulldog Bluing?

So because my husband is a sports nut we actually buy cable. We recently switched providers to get a better deal, and added a landline to the bundle because it was cheaper than just TV and Internet.

But yeah, no phone to hook up. :shrug:

I’ve never been sure what fabric softener was for, and I’m Gen X.

Oh. I had a moment there. No, it’s dryer sheets that make fibers less absorbent, not fabric softener. I use neither anyway, though I occasionally use vinegar for diaper laundry for softening purposes…though I’ve also read that that only works if your water isn’t already hard, otherwise adding vinegar can make it worse. Diaper laundry is very important to get right, :smiley: .

Me too. I never used it. My mom never used it either.

I haven’t had a land line for years. If I don’t answer my cell it’s cause I’m in a place where I can’t do a phone call. The process of retrieving voicemails Lauren involves taking notes do why not just type it as a text or email? I might even reply faster

I agree voicemail doesn’t make much sense on a cell-phone.

Or in the office…

I’m not a millennial but I didn’t use fabric softener until recently because 1) can’t stand the smell of the perfumed ones & didn’t like the greasy feel of the liquid softeners 2) wasn’t able to hook up the dryer for the last 15 years - but it’s hooked up now & 3) finally found scent-free dryer softener sheets. So nice not to have laundry hanging in the house in winter. Also, the towels are much nicer. :smiley:

Got rid of the land line more than a year ago - cell phone connects me to the Internet, is a phone, texts & has voice mail & it’s portable. The land line only did the first 2 & long distance calls cost extra. So the cell phone is cheaper.

My husband has the free government phone (aka Obama phone) & we still haven’t figured out how to set up the voice mail. At least he can see a missed call & call me back. One of these days I’ll have to call customer support.

It does if the person calling you has a land line & can’t text.

it does when you use your cell phone as a main business phone number

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.