Millennials increasingly oppose abortion, even if they don’t identify as ‘pro-life’: Report

young voters are overwhelmingly liberal on social issues like gay marriage and drug legalization, new research released on Thursday suggests the opposite is true when it comes to abortion.

Polling and research conducted by the Institute for Pro-Life Advancement, a newly launched initiative by Students for Life of America, found a majority of millennials support increasing restrictions on abortion, even if many of them do not identify as “pro-life.”

The survey found 53 percent of millennials believe abortion should be illegal in all or most circumstances, with 17 percent of young people responding abortion should never be legal and 36 percent only in extreme cases, such as rape, incest or when the life of the mother is at risk.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/30/millennials-increasingly-oppose-abortion-even-if-t/

Well if that’s the case, than the rate may start going down more and more, because millennial women are probably making up the brunt of the people who are getting pregnant now.

I think if you put it up to a nationwide vote our abortion laws would look a lot like much of Europe’s (i.e. 12 week limit). It’s the same as it is with guns, our laws have more to do with the advocacy groups and not much to do with the feelings of the average citizen.

Only 17% taking the Catholic position that abortion should never be legal is actually lower as Americans on the whole which for the past 2 yrs in May 2016 and 2015 has stood at merely 19%.

gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

This is good news. We now need them to be against same-sex marriage and drug legalization.

Good luck. My generation is quite happy with both SSM and drug legalization. And those numbers for the whole of American society are growing in favor of increasing acceptance, not less.

With regard to abortion, as someone above pointed out 17% favoring the Catholic position of no abortions at all is actually a continuing decrease in the “no abortions for any reason” Catholic position. Most support allowing abortions in some circumstances, be they the rape/incest/health of mom exceptions, or a limited window during the earlier parts of pregnancy. It’s the middle ground that’s been growing in support. Most don’t support the Catholic view that abortion should never be allowed, but then most don’t support the notion that all abortions should be available for the duration of the pregnancy either.

Fact is the thread title is misleading. Millennials don’t increasingly oppose abortion, they increasingly oppose unlimited abortion access and no abortion access.

I’m reminded of an excellent column I read a week or so ago, titled:

A Baby’s Kick Changes Everything About Abortion

medium.com/thefederalist/a-babys-kick-changes-everything-about-abortion-cb2ce9518433#.e8zeildxy

These three issues are all very different from each other.

Those who are against legal abortions don’t necessarily feel that way for religious reasons. There are atheists who are against legal abortion and theists who support it.
Same is true for same-sex marriage.

So there may be no link or parallel for these millennials between the legalization of abortion vs. same-sex marriage.

Good luck with that. Most of the people who are in favor of those things are Millennials.

Those two things are on the rise when it comes to overall acceptance when it comes to legalization. Very different from abortion, which is far less accepted.

Mostly because they seem, at worst, to be victim-free bad habits.

Until you’ve visited ghost towns that were destroyed by addiction issues, or woken up to the realization that half your neighbourhood is dying of sexually transmitted diseases, none of these things seem very important.

By then of course it’s too late to do anything about it, and the survivors become the next generation’s crazy conservatives.

That is why I am quite anti-millennial.

You can be anti-abortion and pro-choice at the same time.

Only you changing the generally accepted meanings of the terms…

I guess it’s possible but only if you view abortion as strictly a private matter that only affects the woman. That would be those that are against abortion for themselves but don’t want to tell others what to do. Abortion isn’t a private matter though. There is the woman, the unborn child, the father, the family of both the father and the mother, the abortionist, and society as a whole (i.e. everyone else). Anti-abortion usually means in favor of unborn rights. It would be difficult to call for unborn rights while at the same time say that some have the option to ignore those rights. It’s not a very credible position to hold.

ETA: Personally I believe that we are all connected and what happens to the smallest will affect the whole.

Good News, and now its time to talk about the evils of contraception which is linked to abortion and killing the birth rate in more ways than one.

Depends on how you define being anti-abortion and pro-choice. Some would consider accepting any kind of abortion, even if only in instances of rape, incest, mother’s life in danger, to be pro-choice. Others would consider wanting any kind of restriction on abortion, say restricting it to say the same, as being anti-abortion.

How you view those labels depends on your POV. For example I don’t consider having exceptions for rape, incest, medical necessity as being pro-choice. Your view may differ.

Considering only 9% of Millennials still believe contraception to be wrong, I think you’ve got more than an uphill battle in that regard. Particularly when many see it as a way to prevent more abortions, not as having causality toward more of them.

Even Catholic women and Catholics in general believe contraception to be acceptable to the tune of over 98% and 82% respectively. When Catholics can’t even convince their own that contraception is wrong, how do you expect to convince the rest of us?

well said, not to mention:

Previous polling has reported that 82 percent of American Catholics say birth control is “morally acceptable,” and 98 percent of U.S. Catholic women of childbearing age have used contraception at some point while they’ve been sexually active.Aug 4, 2015

I think that part of what is going on is that few Americans really identify with the traditional “pro-life” (i.e. all abortion illegal) or “pro-choice” (i.e. abortion on demand) labels. Most Americans seem to be settling somewhere in the middle - believing abortion should be legal but supporting various levels of restrictions on abortion. That is what the last Supreme Court was about, after all - what kinds of restrictions should be allowed, not whether abortion should be legal. For most Americans, that is where the debate has settled.

Exactly. I’ve never met anyone who believes abortion should be available in all instances all the way until the baby is due. And conversely I’ve only met one person (outside this website) that believes abortion should never be performed without exception. The VAST majority of people are not on the polar ends on this issue. And the laws to some extent do reflect that as there are plenty of legal restrictions on abortion already in place that one polar end abhors, while there aren’t enough restrictions in place as far as the other end is concerned. But reality is the law isn’t far off what most Americans would settle on as the medium.

I mean even the terms pro-life and pro-choice aren’t entirely useful when most Americans are involved as I pointed out in my above post. One person’s pro-choice individual is another person’s anti-abortion individual. Never mind how that person self identifies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.