Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes [smaller than a garden shed]

BRING IT ON: “Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb. The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.”

Toshiba Heavy Industries is a leader in mini nuclear plant technology of the same size mentioned above. Their small reactor is capable of producing 10 megawatts of electricity. The company is also developing a 50 megawatt version of the reactor and and ever smaller (200KW) plants for Japan and Europe. It’s designed to last 30 years.

By the way, Toshiba bought Westinghouse Nuclear making them a major player in the nuclear energy sector.

The oil companies are probably frantic about this one. The potential for disaster would be far less than for a high-voltage powerline, or for natural gas pipelines.

Yes, let’s go forward with these.

I will take a couple. :smiley:

I will take a couple.

Coming right up. That will be $50,000,000 please. (price from the link)

Yes, there has been some talk of Toshiba supplying such a device to Galena, Alaska which is inaccessible by road and is not part of the power grid.

But that device can’t be re-fueled, so, I think, is regarded more of a nuclear battery

I see $25m in the article.

So I made a little spreadsheet to see how cost effective this would be. For any average power bill over $15, these power plants result in savings for the community.

Note: These numbers assume that the plants only last 7 years and cannot be refuelled (though the real ones can). The long term savings these plants offer would be much greater.
img366.imageshack.us/img366/5941/smallnukeswt9.jpg
%between%

Dang! Just imagine the stereo I could put together if I had one of those :smiley:

DaveBj

Just wait until the envionmental whackos weigh in…they’re not going to like this at all…

Go Los Alamos!

The labs didn’t hire me :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.