Mini Vacation to Memphis

I am taking a mini vacation to Memphis in November which i need to do or I’m going to flip out!! :smiley: I have never been to Tennessee so I’m excited. Have any of you ever been there? I looked online and there is alot to do. Any sugestions?? Any suggestions about where to stay?? I’m meeting a friend there and we don’t want to go broke paying for a hotel room. Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Hello again! :smiley: What a fun idea to have a vacation.

I live in Memphis. Though, we are new to the area (19 months now) so we don’t know all, but enough. Don’t want to get you down here, but you’ll need to know some things right off.

**PAY for SAFETY! This is a very dangerous city. Last year we were number 2 in crime, just under Detroit! This year I believe its number four. Seems small enough, but don’t let that fool you please. Really! Anything that’s a deal is usally not in a good area. But paying a large sum doesn’t guarantee that area is good either. Its best to stay OUTside the city, but then you have to drive 45 mins to get places. The best places to stay are in Germantown and Collierville. They are just OUTside of Memphis. Collierville is much better than Germantown as crime is picking up there too. Mississippi is also extremely close, as is Arkansas. **

**I warn all family and friends who come here not to stay cheaply, but safetly. We are famous for theft, rape, and gun crime. We have large and dangerous gangs. So make sure everythings protected, including and especially yourself!. There’s a safe hotel right by where we live, but it’s kind of pricey. Again, though, you can’t put a price on safety. In fact, if it were just you, we’d love to have a visitor! :wink: **

**I can hook you up with information on fun things to do, just let me know what you are interested in. :thumbsup: **

Hello! I live in Henderson (close to Jackson, where I attend Mass) which is about 1 1/2 hrs from Memphis so I’m there a LOT. There are lots of things to do in Memphis but Convert in 99 is right, please be safe. If you don’t know which parts to be in Memphis can be a dangerous place. But during the day time most places aren’t bad. The zoo is nice as well as the Brooks Museum of Art. There is also the new mall in Collierville (I would recommend this area, very nice). Also there is the infamous Graceland (but it is in a not-so-safe part of town).
Downtown Memphis isn’t too bad during the day anymore b/c the police patrol it so much and there are neat things and resturants there. And of course the Peabody and its famous ducks are there!!

And if you are looking for somewhere to go to Mass, the Cathedral in Memphis is very pretty. Or there are lots of other beautiful churches too. The diocese website is www.cdom.org and you can see where all of them are.

Geez,

My wife and I were and I emphasize were planning on a fall motorcycle ride up to there, hmm guess not now maybe bypass Memphis and try somewhere else.:confused:

Are you close where you could ride the Natchez Trace Trail? A friend of mine did that all the way from start to finish and said it was wonderful! Sorry to get off topic!:stuck_out_tongue:

Like I said before, you just have to watch where you are in Memphis. But then again, it is on the real-life detective show “The First 48” a lot…

Really though, Memphis can be a great city and they are really working to make it safer. I live close to and work in Jackson and for our size it is not a very safe city either.

**Like I said in a PM. I really don’t want to scare you away. That’s not my intention. Memphis has lots of neat and fun things to do. :thumbsup:

I just don’t like people thinking of this as a “quiet” or a “small town” type city, because, well, its simply not. I want them to have fun, but be aware of their surroundings while they are here. Statistically you are safer in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago or Miami. You just need to treat it with the same caution you would if you visited one of those cities, though we are actually much smaller and less populated. Big crime doesn’t just happen in big cities, this smaller city really proves that point. :shrug:**

I’m not scared away! :stuck_out_tongue: I would rather know what to expect than to get there and have my stuff stolen. I’ve looked online and there looks like so much fun stuff to do!! I can’t wait for my mini vacation. I found a link to the oldest diner in Memphis…Graceland…and so many blues/jazz places…I think it will be alot of fun to go there.

Forgot to add this…ANYTHING at all that you think would be fun please let me know!! I like everything!!

What is the Peabody and its famous ducks?? :o

**Yeah…you’ll have fun! :thumbsup: **

My personal goal is to put off graceland as long as we’re here. We still haven’t been. Elvis and I just don’t “click” :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: But there’s plenty of others who just love it. So you should have fun.

**Also, the Memphis zoo is one of the few in the country with Giant Panda Bears. We also have Mud Island (parts are closed in the “winter” though :frowning: .) There’s the march of the ducks, plenty of parks, museums and music things to do. And more, but that’s all I can think of for now! :thumbsup: **

Hmm, I think I may have to check and see what Tennessee’s concealed carry law is like.

Well the plan is/was to light out of Fort Worth to OK and take Hwy 70 to Memphis and then different route back to Fort Worth. Stopping at anything we find interesting or cool on the to and back. May have rethink, I am gonna have to check a few things first.

How about a day or two in Memphis and a day or two in Nashville?

Nashville is great.

Of course, I have to put in a good word for ARKANSAS! The Ouichita area is simply breathtaking. Hot Springs America’s first vacation spot, and there is STILL no Starbucks downtown :thumbsup:

Eureka Springs is another beautiful town, Ft. Smith/Van Buren…

NW Arkansas is amazing.

Arkansas even has wine country.

And Arkansas can be along the way, either way!

check out the duck tour as that is what i did… it takes you everywhere and it is incredibly cheap!
also if you like barbeque, go to rendevous which is in downtown… they have been there for over a 100 years and are famous for it! the ambience is great tooo… you can also go to corkys

We always stay in the Marriot or Wyndam Hotel, down around the Convention Center.

You can walk to the Catholic Church across the road.

Take the trolley all day long, go visit the Peabody, eat lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe off of Beale Street and visit the Gibson Guitar factory.

We always go with a huge group of people. So we hit Beale Street … get some Blues fix. We’ve never had any problems, the homeless will bother you a little bit though.

The Peabody is fun, but get there early to watch the ducks.

Elvis Rocks! Got to go to Graceland. :thumbsup:

And you HAVE to eat here…hogsfly.com/ the Rendezous Ribs, right across from the Peabody.

Also, Blues City Cafe on Beale Street, great food! Greasy southern grill, hamburgers etc…yum!

Have fun!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.