Minimum Mass obligations

What would be considered the minimum at mass to fulfill a Sunday obligation?

My husband says: Offertory, Consecration, and the first person from the congregation to receive Holy Communion.

Is husband correct? So, if I don’t arrive at mass until after the homily and stay only through that first person’s reception, I have fulfilled my obligation? I’m not obligated to hear the Liturgy of the Word, or the homily, or the concluding prayers, etc?

your obligation is to attend the whole mass.

People will try to tell you otherwise, because “sister so-and-so” taught them something in the 4th grade about arrival and departure minimums.

But the Church has no such minimums and you will find no document and no teaching that says you can arrive after X and leave before Y.

We are to be active and present for the whole of mass. If we are not, we need to discuss it with a priest, unless we have a situation in which we are excused from mass (becoming ill during mass, care of an infant, a flat tire on the way to mass, etc, which of course are out of our control).

I find your husband’s position disturbing, unless it is just an intellectual exercise.

What is the point of trying to find a “minimum” participation level that “counts”? Sounds like a spiritual dilemma that needs discussion with a priest.

Never heard of that one before. What if no one receives?

I have to agree with 1ke, though. Just by asking what are the minimums suggest something is lacking in our spiritual lives.

The Mass starts with “In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and ends with “Go in peace/Thanks be to God.” If you miss either of those, you’ve missed part of the Mass.

There actually used to be a “rule” about this. There isn’t any more. It’s just a Mass, not a part of a Mass for your obligation. But even under the old “rule” you had to be there for the Gospel (and second reading depending on if it was the pre or post 1962 Missal). So your husband’s scenario wouldn’t “count” even then.

:thumbsup:

And to do so purposely and without a serious reason would be grave matter.

:thumbsup:

It is just a spiritual exercise. My husband is a devout and daily mass communicant.

The discussion around the dinner table last night was:

Let’s say we’re running late (hey, it happens) and say we’re at an unfamiliar parish (vacation, work… ). If we get there late, what are the minimum requirements. If we MUST be there for the procession thru the benediction, oh my. I think half my parish would have to go to “Last chance Mass” three parishes over.

In today’s world of Google, Masstimes, GPS on phones, I would say we have an obligation to be on time to Mass even in unfamiliar places.

I’ve been to mass in unfamiliar cities due to vacation and work, by car, bus, taxi, train, and foot. One has to make it a priority, plan around it for sure, but it is emminently doable.

Although many people assert this, no one has ever provided any documentation for it, other than “sister so-and-so” said so. Nuns and priests trying to quell concern among their flock by giving in and providing such a guidance does not a rule make.

And if you are late through no fault of your own, you’ve done your best to meet the obligation. Slip into a pew and attend the rest of the Mass with a clear conscience.

I agree.

But I think it is more difficult to claim “no fault” when traveling in this day and age versus 20 or more years ago when you had few ways to research ahead of time and plan accordingly.

I think I have poorly stated my question.

What parts of the mass are absolutely mandatory to fulfill the obligation to go to Sunday Mass?

If I miss the Gospel, but am there for the complete Liturgy of the Eucharist, does that fulfill my obligation?

If I am there for the entire Liturgy of the Word but (for any number of reasons) leave before Communion, is the obligation fulfilled?

If I leave before the consecration?

It’s just a question… hasn’t really happened.

My understanding is yes, if there happens to be a life-or-death emergency which causes you to leave early.

There’s nothing that says you can attend part of the Mass and meet your obligation. The obligation is to attend the entire Mass. If there is a sufficient reason for you to come late or leave early then there is no obligation, just as if you are ill and cannot attend Mass there is no obligation. Basically the idea that “oh well, that’s good enough” doesn’t apply.

SuscipeMeDomine, if what you say is true, then all those people who come after the priest begins his procession down the main aisle, or anyone who leaves before the priest exits, has NOT fulfilled his/her obligation, correct?

CCC #2180 states:
The precept of the Chuirch specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass.” “The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the precdeding day.”

That sets up #2181:
The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

So, to my reading, one is obliged to participate in the Liturgy of the Eucharist, but need not necessarily participate in the Liturgy of the Word (though of course,this is necessarily very desirable and warmly recommended.).

They do what they do. I worry about what is under my control; in other words, what I do.

Life is not just based on “the rules” and meeting our minimum obligations to God or to others. Some people always do the minimum whether it’s the minimum they can get away with in terms of family or the minimum they can get away with at work. And you know who they are. Others give things their best effort and you know who they are too. I don’t want to be that kind of minimalist.

So, to my reading, one is obliged to participate in the Liturgy of the Eucharist, but need not necessarily participate in the Liturgy of the Word (though of course,this is necessarily very desirable and warmly recommended.).

I read “the Sunday Eucharist” to mean the entire Mass. I would not consider showing up halfway through the Mass to be sufficient and more than I would consider showing up halfway through a movie to be sufficient. Your mileage may vary.

If your heart needs the presence of the Lord Jesus, His love would accept you at the reception of Holy Communion even if you had missed many parts of the Mass or the Divine Liturgy. The reception of Jesus Christ is not solely dependent on the other parts of the Mass even if you had missed some parts of it. Our Lord Jesus refers that the person who comes at the eleventh hour is just as accepted as the one who comes in the ninth hour and so on. Just don’t make it a habit of it of only coming at the “eleventh hour”!

Teacher, what must I do to pass with a C?

No, we understood you. The answer is, the whole mass.

No, no, and no.

OK! Thank you all.

I suspect my women’s bible study tomorrow will have a lively discussion since there are a few nice ladies in that group who do come just before the gospel and leave as soon as they can.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.