Minimum Requirements for Mass on the go

Our liberal pastor is leading a small group, including me, a permanent deacon, on a trip to Central America. I have discovered that, while our pastor is willing to celebrate Mass every day of the trip, he is not bringing a Mass kit for those times when we will not have access to a church. He will have a stole and he is content to use whatever bread and wine and other necessities can be found in a hotel. We are traveling light but I have decided to bring on my own initiative unconsecrated wafers and altar wine, a corporal, a few purificators, and a candle. I do not have a chalice or a ciborium. Does anyone have a list of what is necessary to have a Mass while traveling that is both valid and licit?

Hosts
Altar Wine
Water
Crucifix
Candle

I’m not sure about the necessity of the various linens, but may as well have them.

Josh

[quote=DBill]Our liberal pastor is leading a small group, including me, a permanent deacon, on a trip to Central America. I have discovered that, while our pastor is willing to celebrate Mass every day of the trip, he is not bringing a Mass kit for those times when we will not have access to a church. He will have a stole and he is content to use whatever bread and wine and other necessities can be found in a hotel. We are traveling light but I have decided to bring on my own initiative unconsecrated wafers and altar wine, a corporal, a few purificators, and a candle. I do not have a chalice or a ciborium. Does anyone have a list of what is necessary to have a Mass while traveling that is both valid and licit?
[/quote]

Hosts
Altar wine (remember that only the priest is required to receive under both forms so even a single serving size bottle would be enough)
Corporal
A votive candle (should last for 8 or 10 Masses)
Crucifix
A small purificator
A small metal cup of some sort (to be used only for Mass)
A small bottle of water to mix with the wine
A small Lectionary or Mass book

[quote=DBill]Our liberal pastor is leading a small group, including me, a permanent deacon, on a trip to Central America. I have discovered that, while our pastor is willing to celebrate Mass every day of the trip, he is not bringing a Mass kit for those times when we will not have access to a church. He will have a stole and he is content to use whatever bread and wine and other necessities can be found in a hotel. We are traveling light but I have decided to bring on my own initiative unconsecrated wafers and altar wine, a corporal, a few purificators, and a candle. I do not have a chalice or a ciborium. Does anyone have a list of what is necessary to have a Mass while traveling that is both valid and licit?
[/quote]

Have you considered the posibility that the Priest may not want to have any of the items you are bringing and is in fact looking forward to “celebrating in the rough” so to speak? If he is willing to use whatever bread and wine as well as anything else he can find, he has already shown that he has no respect for what is called for in the Mass, and probably feels all the items you mentioned are unnecessary. In fact he may actually resent your trying to help. It would seem that he is on some sort of quest of his own. Maybe you should talk to him before you leave and save everybody involved some possible unpleasantness. While I applaud your motives and clear thinking, he more than likely will not. :frowning:

Have you considered the posibility that the Priest may not want to have any of the items you are bringing and is in fact looking forward to “celebrating in the rough” so to speak? If he is willing to use whatever bread and wine as well as anything else he can find, he has already shown that he has no respect for what is called for in the Mass, and probably feels all the items you mentioned are unnecessary. In fact he may actually resent your trying to help. It would seem that he is on some sort of quest of his own. Maybe you should talk to him before you leave and save everybody involved some possible unpleasantness. While I applaud your motives and clear thinking, he more than likely will not.

He has already expressed some concern for what he considers to be my “pre-conciliar” sensibilities. I think he will be more amused than angry at my preparations. This is not the first time we have negotiated liturgical practice.

[quote=DBill]He has already expressed some concern for what he considers to be my “pre-conciliar” sensibilities. I think he will be more amused than angry at my preparations. This is not the first time we have negotiated liturgical practice.
[/quote]

I also think the key here is what the GIRM and RS say. When there was a clear opportunity to insure that proper elements, and Sacramental vessels were available. But if it was clearly chosen not to make the necessary preparations, it does show a lack of respect. Now I do believe that in certain unexpected situations the celebration of Mass should not be neglected because of the lack of certain physical items. (except proper elements)

Good news. With some amusement and a few barbs, the pastor has signed off on the little Mass kit I have assembled with the help of those who have made suggestions on this forum. I will remember those who have contributed to this thread and those who have viewed this thread in the Masses we offer on our trip. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.