Ministered Blood of Christ without training

When I was serving mass the other day, the priest first gave me the Blood of Christ to distribute on the altar to the lector, which I did because he instructed; however, I’m not a trained Extraordinary Minister (I don’t know if he knew that or not).

I’m just looking for thoughts on if what I did was wrong, or if I should have declined to minister.

You might point out to him you are not trained. If you otherwise qualify, you might ask to be commissioned.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to talk with your priest about your concerns rather than asking here?

As you’ve been told on other threads with similar types of questions, trust that the priest is instructing you to do something within his purview to delegate. There is a provision to commission an extraordinary minister for a single Mass “on-the-spot” (although the intent is before Mass begins, usually, and there’s an actual prayer/rite), there’s nothing wrong with what he did. Also, there’s not much said on a universal level about training EMHCs. That’s usually a diocesan decision.

In short, you need to trust the priest and stop second-guessing!

The Priest gave you a great honor. Thank God for the grace bestowed upon you.

Some might argue thats true of every question asked here…nothing wrong asking others for their thoughts…otherwise there would be no purpose for CAF, sending us all back to Facebook!..ughhh

If he thought it was appropriate, roll with his judgment.

You need to talk to your priest about this. He must of trusted you enough to do it. You have to trust your priest.

“Uncle Titivillus, tell us a story!”

When I was in high school (and we had to ride to school through the snow, uphill, both ways, on our dinosaurs), while serving Mass one day I was tapped to administer one of the cups.

Being likewise untrained and unprepared, I wasn’t sure if I was “allowed” to say “The Blood of Christ”, but I felt like I should say something.

The first communicant to approach me just about spit when I proffered the cup with the invitation “Have some.”

:scream: :joy: :crazy_face:

Do you really think your priest would have you do something that was wrong?

I’m an altar boy but I was given the chalice with the precious blood the priest told me to follow the minister so I did I wasn’t he one to give them the blood I was only to hold the chalice so the minister could dip the body into the blood to distribute to the people. Sometimes you just have to go with the role he would’ve trusted you if he gave you the responsibility.

You obeyed your priest.

That’s the beginning and end of the issue.

hawk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.