Ministers of marriage

I know a couple ministers sacrament of marriage for themselves by exchanging vowes. Can they marriage on the desert island, without a priest (witness) and 'register' after they are found ?

[quote="irom, post:1, topic:181774"]
I know a couple ministers sacrament of marriage for themselves by exchanging vowes. Can they marriage on the desert island, without a priest (witness) and 'register' after they are found ?

[/quote]

If the couple meet all the other requirements, and there is a witness of any time, the Sacrament would be valid

Can. 1116 §1. If a person competent to assist according to the norm of law cannot be present or approached without grave inconvenience, those who intend to enter into a true marriage can contract it validly and licitly before witnesses only:

1/ in danger of death;

2/ outside the danger of death provided that it is prudently foreseen that the situation will continue for a month.

§2. In either case, if some other priest or deacon who can be present is available, he must be called and be present at the celebration of the marriage together with the witnesses, without prejudice to the validity of the marriage before witnesses only.

[/quote]

Yes, in such extraordinary circumstances that would be possible.

[/quote]

no

Not for those of Eastern Catholic Churches
CCEO Canon 828 1. Only those marriages are valid which are celebrated with a sacred rite, in the presence of the local hierarch, local pastor, or a priest who has been given the faculty of blessing the marriage by either of them, and at least two witnesses, according, however to the prescriptions of the following canons, with due regard for the exceptions mentioned in cann. 832 and 834, 2.
2. That rite which is considered a sacred rite is the intervention a priest assisting and blessing.

and CCC 1623 ... In the tradition of the Eastern churches, the priests (bishops or presbyters) are witnesses to the mutual consent of the spouses, but for the validity of the sacrament their blessing is also necessary.

[quote="5Loaves, post:5, topic:181774"]
CCEO Canon 828 1. Only those marriages are valid which are celebrated with a sacred rite, in the presence of the local hierarch, local pastor, or a priest who has been given the faculty of blessing the marriage by either of them, and at least two witnesses, according, however to the prescriptions of the following canons, with due regard for the exceptions mentioned in cann. 832 and 834, 2.
2. That rite which is considered a sacred rite is the intervention a priest assisting and blessing.

and CCC 1623 ... In the tradition of the Eastern churches, the priests (bishops or presbyters) are witnesses to the mutual consent of the spouses, but for the validity of the sacrament their blessing is also necessary.

[/quote]

Yes, of course, but the OP was identified as Roman Catholic.

[quote="5Loaves, post:5, topic:181774"]

[/quote]

That of course assumes that there is a local hierarch, local pastor, or a priest of an Eastern Catholic Church, in a hut, under one of the coconut trees on the other side of the island.

[quote="Br.Rich_SFO, post:7, topic:181774"]
That of course assumes that there is a local hierarch, local pastor, or a priest of an Eastern Catholic Church, in a hut, under one of the coconut trees on the other side of the island.

[/quote]

How so? My understanding is that the Eastern understanding of the sacrament of marriage requires a priest in a way the Western understanding does not. So then, no priest, no marriage.

[quote="Bluegoat, post:8, topic:181774"]
How so? My understanding is that the Eastern understanding of the sacrament of marriage requires a priest in a way the Western understanding does not. So then, no priest, no marriage.

[/quote]

Correct. And OP didn't say anything about what the membership is of the couple on the island. ;)

[/quote]

If there is no Eastern church anywhere even remotely accessible to the couple, maybe it would be permissible for them to change to the Roman rite. :rolleyes: :D

[/quote]

That is correct assumming that a person has access to a priest or Bishop.

[quote="Br.Rich_SFO, post:11, topic:181774"]
That is correct assumming that a person has access to a priest or Bishop.

[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean. If a priest or bishop is considered a necessary part of the sacrament, and one is not available, you can't have the sacrament without it. It would be like trying to have a Eucharist with mangos and coconut juice.

[quote="Bluegoat, post:12, topic:181774"]
I don't understand what you mean. If a priest or bishop is considered a necessary part of the sacrament, and one is not available, you can't have the sacrament without it. It would be like trying to have a Eucharist with mangos and coconut juice.

[/quote]

If of Divine mandate the requirement would be the same for all Marriages. The requirement for validity, of a Priest or Bishop at the Marriage is a requirement of the Eastern Law not a Divine mandate. If it is not possible for a priest or Bishop to be present ever, then the law cannot be fulfilled, and would not apply in that instance.

[quote="Br.Rich_SFO, post:13, topic:181774"]
If of Divine mandate the requirement would be the same for all Marriages. The requirement for validity, of a Priest or Bishop at the Marriage is a requirement of the Eastern Law not a Divine mandate. If it is not possible for a priest or Bishop to be present ever, then the law cannot be fulfilled, and would not apply in that instance.

[/quote]

Ah, I suppose, though I suspect many Eastern Catholics might disagree, since the Eastern position is based on a different theological understanding. But I guess this is one of those places where Eastern Catholicism seems a bit skewy as a concept to me.

[quote="Bluegoat, post:14, topic:181774"]
Ah, I suppose, though I suspect many Eastern Catholics might disagree, since the Eastern position is based on a different theological understanding. But I guess this is one of those places where Eastern Catholicism seems a bit skewy as a concept to me.

[/quote]

In the original situation posed here, the judgment of the couple and their intent to enter Marriage would be left up to God since no one else would ever know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.