Ministries for working age adults

Hi everybody,

In my parish, as in many others I’m sure, there are many things going on for the youth and most of the other ministries are carried out by older folks who are no longer working, meaning that they take place during the middle of the day. There aren’t many opportunities for working age adults who work a normal 9-5. My wife and I are fortunate enough to have flexible schedules to attend daily mass and do some of the daytime ministries such as nursing home visits, but most our age aren’t so fortunate with their work schedule.

I’d like try and start a ministry at my parish for working age adults. Have any of you done this before? I’d love to start a ministry with 30 something’s visiting the elderly.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

Korbin

YAY!! I cannot tell you how many times I was unable to participate in things---sewing or knitting or quilting for charity, visiting the sick, etc---because they met during the week during the day, which is great if you're retired or a housewife or unemployed.

I have a personal dislike for age cut-offs, but that is because I'm in my 30's and 98% of my good friends are in their 50's and early 60's, I relate better to them and know that is unusual.

Anyway, do it! I am sure there are nursing homes and hospitals with night and weekend hours, as well as the people in your parish that might need something--even just a visit and a smile--who might like that at night or weekend.

I think the most often missed group that needs help (even just a smile or someone to talk to) are the singles (of all ages) and the people we go to work and church with that might be having a problem or like some company but because they don't "look" like there's something wrong, they get ignored. We're supposed to care for the widow, orphan, sick, etc, but I don't think they're supposed to have to come find us and I don't think we're supposed to only worry about the ones that are in a neat and convenient group (nursing home, hospital, soup kitchen).

Don't mean to ramble.

Good luck, I think it's a great idea!! :)

Young adult ministry is challenging, frustrating, and rewarding by turns. Yes, it can be done. Approach your pastor with your ideas and start small.

The archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has a very well established and robust young adult ministry, and this website has good info and links:

archgh.org/youngacm/Young-Adults/

Thanks for your input guys. :slight_smile:

Unrelated to Catholic tradition

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.