Ministry of Acolyte

On Oct 27th,
Second year Theology Seminarians in our Diocese will be Instituted into Ministry of Acolyte.
My son will be one of them. God willing
It’s a very exciting time for our family.
Please pray for vocations. God Bless

Ministry of Acolyte is one of the important steps to Priesthood ordination.

“An Acolyte is appointed to aid the deacon and to minister to the priest at the altar and as a special minister to give Holy Communion to the faithful at Mass and to the sick. Acolytes may also expose the Eucharist for public adoration in the absence of a priest or deacon. During the institution ceremony, candidates are reminded that they will have a special role in the Church’s ministry, since the summit and source of the Church’s life is the Eucharist, which builds up the Christian community and makes it grow. The candidates are asked to show a sincere love for Christ’s Mystical Body, God’s holy people and especially for the weak and the sick.”

Beautiful!

Hello,

Ministry of Acolyte is one of the important steps to Priesthood ordination.

I'm Russian Orthodox Christian who serves at the Altar as an Acolyte and have been doing this for about ten years now.

I have one question on how do you seperate altar girl's and Acolyte in the RC Church??

*“Take this vessel with bread (wine) for the celebration of the Eucharist. Make your life worthy of your service at the table of the Lord and of his Church.” *

I’m an Acolyte for my Catholic Diocese, and have been now for 2+ years. It’s a wonderful ministry to serve my Lord at His alter, and serve His people, especially the homebound who cant come to mass and recieve His precious body and blood.

The same way that Acolyte is seperate from altar boys.

The same way that Lector is seperate from reader (either male or female).

Lector (first ministry before ordination) and Acolyte (second ministry before ordination) are instituted ministries and only men may be installed into.

When no instituted Lector or Acolyte is present, a lay person (either sex) may fill the role, though not fully at times.

Acolytes may serve as Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and they may purify the vessels.

The Altar girls are a big mistake on the part of Rome. In Rome when they had altar servers to see the Pope. The break up to girls to boys was 60 % girls and 40 % boys that is not a winning number. the number boy’s in my view will go lower and lower and lower until all may one day be all girls. I don’t want say anything more on the subject because I will start to make jokes about altar girls.

I take what the Roman Church does with grain of salt. I poop poop it. Even clown Mass is fine with me if that is what turn them on, what do I care

This is a posting to praise the step these men are taking along their path to ordination.

It is not a place to debate girls serving at the altar.

I think we could also open a discussion as to the validity of an opinion held by those outside of the Church as to Church practices.

But again, this thread is not the place for such a thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.