Minn. man cited after throwing 1,000 $1 bills over upper floor railing at Mall of America

This terrible man should to locked up to keep the public safe :p

foxnews.com/us/2013/12/02/minn-man-cited-after-throwing-1000-dollar-bills-over-upper-floor-railing-at/?intcmp=latestnews

A 29-year-old Minnesota man who says he was trying to spread holiday cheer by tossing 1,000 dollar bills over an upper floor railing at the Mall of America has been cited for disorderly conduct.

Serge Vorobyov, of Apple Valley, admitted throwing his "last $1,000" from the fourth floor on Friday as a choir performed "Let it Snow." Vorobyov said he also kept tossing cash as he continued down the escalator.

Looks like he was haunted by the Ghost of Christmas Presents. :smiley:

While he most likely meant to be kind, I can imagine several things that could go horribly wrong with a stunt like that. He could have unintentionally cause an already avericious black Friday mob to start stampeeding around trying to snatch up as much money as possible and people could have gotten hurt.

[quote="Allegra, post:3, topic:346863"]
While he most likely meant to be kind, I can imagine several things that could go horribly wrong with a stunt like that. He could have unintentionally cause an already avericious black Friday mob to start stampeeding around trying to snatch up as much money as possible and people could have gotten hurt.

[/quote]

Exactly. His heart may have been in the right place, but his common sense . . .

Would have been better to give it to charity. Throwing it as he did, even rich people could catch the money.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:4, topic:346863"]
Exactly. His heart may have been in the right place, but his common sense . . .

[/quote]

To say nothing of the stampeding mob which lacks both common sense and a heart in the right place. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

It was one dollar bills he threw lol, if people would stampede and cause harm to others over single dollar bills, then I think they arrested the wrong person.

When I first read this story and heard what he was arrested for, it made me think the police on the scene had to find something to arrest him for and ended up looking foolish, I could understand his charge if it had $100. bills, but it was $1. bills...??

Maybe the police were just mad they did not stand a chance of getting some of this money LOL

[/quote]

Exactly. He should come to my house to throw his money around. I will not panic. I promise.:D

Should the stores be cited for causing a stampede by having a Black Friday sale???:wink:

[quote="mikekle, post:7, topic:346863"]
It was one dollar bills he threw lol, if people would stampede and cause harm to others over single dollar bills, then I think they arrested the wrong person.

[/quote]

Have you seen what goes on during Black Friday lately? Some people stand out in the cold for hours trying to get a few bucks off from an MP3 player. There are frequent reports of injuries that result from shoving and running shoppers once they are let into the store as well as fights that ensue over limited merhandise. It's pretty messed up.

[/quote]

Perhaps the store owners should be locked up as well for their little contribution to the black friday madness.

[quote="vz71, post:11, topic:346863"]
Perhaps the store owners should be locked up as well for their little contribution to the black friday madness.

[/quote]

That is a more profound point than it appears to be on the surface.

Why should the man be culpable for his actions inciting the "crowd" when the orchestrated actions of store owners is not?

Ugh. The man does not understand basic economics.

It's "trickle down", not "flutter down"! :doh2:

Taxes would be my guess, law enforcement and the cities know shoppers/ shop owners bring in lots of tax money, someone throwing money out does not, as it is giving something away.

[quote="Peter_Plato, post:12, topic:346863"]
That is a more profound point than it appears to be on the surface.

Why should the man be culpable for his actions inciting the "crowd" when the orchestrated actions of store owners is not?

[/quote]

He did the same thing as someone that shows up to a house fire and throws gas on it.

It is called "adding fuel to the fire."

He should have known better. And now the judge can explain exactly what he did wrong. :thumbsup:

[quote="maryjk, post:15, topic:346863"]
He did the same thing as someone that shows up to a house fire and throws gas on it.

It is called "adding fuel to the fire."

He should have known better. And now the judge can explain exactly what he did wrong. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Assuming that crowds of human beings are irresponsible entities in the same way that a fire engulfing fuel is.

Are human beings, in crowd form, really mindless in that way? We, as human beings, are not responsible for our actions, then, BECAUSE our actions are causal in the same way that fire is?

The man did it as an attention stunt to impress his estranged wife. It's certainly better than mowing people down with an automatic weapon. We should have more people desperate for attention behave thusly.

They didn’t lock him up. They gave him a ticket. I think in a lot of places, store owners can be given a citation if they do publicity stunts like this. I know that one of the local Target stores had some legal trouble with the municipality when people were injured during a Black Friday rampage some years back. They used to let the customers ram through the doors in a mob when they opened. Now they organize them into two lines so people are less likely to get hurt.

I understand everyone concern but I like it. I wish more people threw money in the air. Who cares who gets it. It makes me realize that money is not that important.

I wish I had been there.

Violation of Public Ordinance 666: Impersonating the Executive Branch of the USA.

Editor's note: He'll beat the rap as it was his own money!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.