Minneapolis council members say foreign, U.S. travel boosts city work

Minneapolis council members say foreign, U.S. travel boosts city work

Members say visiting other countries and cities benefits the work that they do here.

By Erin Golden Star Tribune April 11, 2016 — 10:13am

Minneapolis City Council members and their aides used city funding to travel to seven foreign countries and seven U.S. cities last year, where they attended conferences and met with officials on issues ranging from airport noise to urban farming, public markets and diplomacy. . . .

startribune.com/minneapolis-council-members-say-foreign-u-s-travel-boosts-city-work/375203201/

Your tax dollars at work. And not just for the council members.

Minneapolis City Council members and their aides used city funding . . .

Spain, Mexico, France, China, Washington, Japan, Ireland, Cuba, and elsewhere.

Please remember this stuff when you are told we don’t have enough tax dollars taken away from the tax payers to make Government “REALLY WORK for the poor (and “the environment”, etc.).”

**The problem in Government is NOT a lack of tax dollars taken away from the tax payers.

The problem in Government is the lack of fiscal responsibility from the politicians at the “trough”. **

If this is true for local politics, how much MORE is it true for Federal Government?

Read Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Pax Christi!

Are you saying that they should not attend conferences on airport noise, and so on? In cities, there are these issues.

Maybe teleconferences are in order.

God bless.

Each council member gets $10,490 per year that they can spend on “travel for professional development, memberships to organizations or subscriptions to relevant publications. It can also be used for salaries for interns or additional staff, additional computers, phones or other equipment or furniture for council offices, mileage reimbursement, parking fees, and postage, printing and other costs related to communication with constituents.”

Out of an annual city budget of $1.2 billion, I think a static pot of about $10,000 for all of those things is pretty reasonable. If a council member wants to spend more on travel, then they have less to spend on the other things.

Three of the council members didn’t spend any on travel in 2015 and instead used their allocation for things like printing and postage for informational mailings to constituents.

I live here and I’m no fan of the Minneapolis City Council, but this is not outrage-worthy IMO.

Every politician needs their slush fund, right?

I’d bet the politicians who went on junkets still found another budget allocation to pay for their mailings et al.

Wampa:

I live here and I’m no fan of the Minneapolis City Council, but this is not outrage-worthy

I painted this as a “microcosm” of Federal Government waste (“If this is true for local politics, how much MORE is it true for Federal Government?”).

The Federal debt is over 19 Trillion dollars (here).

How much debt do you think the country can run up before this stuff is not reasonable?

The voters should recall this type of thing and make their own determinations when voting. I stand by what I said.

Your conclusion based on this is different than mine.

I definitely don’t disagree on the federal level. The country’s debt and spending is completely unsustainable.

I guess I’m just saying that I don’t think the specific facts behind this local situation warrants it being held up as the microcosm of federal government waste.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.