Minneapolis has become recruiting ground for Islamic extremists

From CBS News:

The U.S. military said today the number of airstrikes against ISIS targets in Iraq has topped 100.

President Barack Obama is getting closer to a decision on whether to attack ISIS bases in Syria as well. He’s expected to meet with the National Security Council on Thursday.

An American named Douglas McAuthur McCain died in Syria fighting for ISIS, the acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, which has taken over parts of Iraq and Syria.

He was from Minnesota - where he and other Americans were recruited.

The Cedar-Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis is sometimes called “Little Mogadishu.” It’s center of the nation’s largest concentration of Somalis, and fertile ground for Islamic terrorist groups recruiting new fighters.

I seem to remember Cedar-Riverside a little bit differently – it used to be the biggest concentration of hippies and associated places Many evenings spent at the Cabooze.

I guess things change over time.

And guess who has been one of the largest sponsers of Somalis emigration to the U.S.?

Linus2nd

I don’t know. Can you tell us?

But it’s not only Minneapolis.There is a significant group in Kansas City as well. Possibly in other places, but I don’t know that.

Well, regardless, Minneapolis is a defined area in which radicals can draw from by recruiting, and for sure as mentioned there are others. What do we do is the question.

Its not just Minneapolis (if only it was). The sewer has been backing up in most all large cities - Toronto, Detroit/Dearborn, Chicago, Atlanta, East Coast to the West Coast. You can drive into the countryside and find a Mosque that shouts loudly “This cost a bunch of money”. People have been letting it pass by without paying attention. Here it is in our backyards!

The Obama Administration knows nothing and refuses to learn. The President needs an invitation to resign immediately. He has exceeded the limit on failing the USA.

I believe I have heard that ELCA, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is who “sponsored” so many and brought them over.

I once read an article, I think many of the Somalis in Minneapolis can be very isolated in the housing projects they may live in but at the same time being fertile ground for Radical Islam.

In another two years there will be civil war here.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fislamophobia-america-rise-poll-shows-262478&ei=JTP_U8zMHMueggS_hICgBg&usg=AFQjCNF-fuuQZn1vgfHQuDQdzEIXYFkP_w&bvm=bv.74035653,d.eXY

Since we first began our polling on American attitudes toward Arabs and Muslims in 2010, there has been continued erosion in the favorable ratings given to both communities, posing a threat to the rights of Arab Americans and American Muslims. Favorable attitudes have continued to decline - from 43% in 2010 to 32% in 2014 for Arabs; and from 35% in 2010 to 27% in 2014 for Muslims.

The ideology is losing favor and rightfully so. I guess they would rather be paranoid and free, than a charitable slave. :shrug:

The article may have mentioned it, one of the 9/11 attackers who didn’t make the flights spent some time in the Twin Cities, some who have joined El Shabab were in the Twin Cities as well.

I think I just saw an article where a township was denying a place of worship for Muslims to be used in the Twin Cities and that the US Dept. of Justice was going to look into the case. Of course, I believe in freedom of religion. I think the town that voted it down is called something like St. Anthony Falls.

The isolation and setup may be a bit like what is happening in England but on a small scale. The housing project I think is called “Riverside” and Keith Ellison, Muslim but who stands for some liberal issues (such as same-sex marriage) I believe is the Representative from that area. That latter fact may be ignored by the mainstream media.

I wonder if it isn’t because in MN they are feeling the squeeze from Catholic growth and are under pressure to grow and keep MN “more Lutheran” with its Scandinavian roots. :shrug:

However, bringing over people who are steeped in cultural & religious practices of their own and expecting them to convert because of one or two picnics with them in the burbs will NOT cut it. :nope:

How about freedom “from” religion, and especially one of hate and racism?

I once read an article, I think many of the Somalis in Minneapolis can be very isolated in the housing projects they may live in but at the same time being fertile ground for Radical Islam.

Well, some of the immigrants (and this is true in general) who move out to rural areas and have their kids join sports teams are able to integrate better as former MN-based radio host Jason Lewis once noted.

However, in MN many Somalis live around Riverside Plaza in Minneapolis, which ironically enough is located around the University of Minnesota campus. I’d like to know why their open-mindedness hasn’t changed Somali hearts.

Instead, jihadi recruits are thriving in the shadow in the territory of Hubert H. Humphery and Walter Mondale.

And people wonder why I say that First World liberal secularism will be crushed by Islam.

In the wider view of things, Minnesota and a majority of its electorate have sure done their part to turn the place into a Scandinavian country with redistribution and lack of integration of immigrants paving the way to suicide.

Just look at who has the governor and Senator incumbency. :rolleyes:

Depending on what happens there in November, the future of that state could be bleaker than NY, CA or IL.

Lewiston, Maine and Franklin County Ohio.

I’m also counting down :popcorn: until a young Westerner immersed in political correctness and living in a safe neighborhood that’s 80% or more white to come on here and tell us how xenophobic/racist/islamophobic we all are for even discussing this and how we’re “afraid” of non-whites. :rolleyes:

Bleaker than NY, CA or IL? How.

Here are the Demographics of the State: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Minnesota

Non-Christian religions, such as Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism, together represented 3.0% of the population

Also, the article shows 85.3% of the population is white in 2014, the Somali population has been listed as low as 30,000 in some places I’ve seen though it could be upwards to 100,000.

I recall reading that some 10% of all Muslims have jihadist sympathies. So, 3,000 to 10,000 potential jihadis in one state is a lot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

Illinois, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and California all have more Muslims.

And Isis took the entire middle east hostage with 7000 members. Look how quick its growing. We need a war plan not for Isis and the radicals in the middle east, but for right here. Namely addressing the convoluted ideology.

You know I keep saying and it falls on deaf ears, the idea that this a is gradual phenom and we have all the time in the world and this will be “gradual”. There’s no reason to believe that, the demise could be swift and basically a fall off the cliff. :shrug:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

And I said Pennsylvania and New York, Virginia, California and other states have more Muslims.

That explanation makes sense and would echo the experience in France. The CBS article also mentions the lack of jobs, which is another common element with the French situation.

I think a relevant point is that the US jihadis grew up in this country. Their parents may have brought them here as children, or they may have been born here (like the fellow mentioned in the CBS article.) But somehow the economic, political and cultural promise of this country is not reaching these individuals. Living in concentrated poverty and facing widespread unemployment certainly would be part of this. I suppose there is more involved as well.

So how do we turn this around? How can we instill youth with a sense that they have a stake in the US and what it has to offer?

A difference vs. France from what I understand and have read is that France has a high unemployment rate whereas I don’t think jobs are a problem in Minnesota and there is a relatively low unemployment rate even compared to the National Level.

The district where the Somalis largely live, Keith Ellison’s district may have a radicalized segment but statewise, Minnesota is fairly way down on the list of States with Muslims, 3% of the total population at most.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.