Minneapolis Mayor Now Asking Trump for Relief Money After He Let His City Burn

Minneapolis Mayor Now Asking Trump for Relief Money After He Let His City Burn

Posted at 8:00 pm on June 5, 2020 by Bonchie

AP featured image

Police stand near a overturned vehicle and a fire as demonstrators protest the death of George Floyd, Sunday, May 31, 2020, near the White House in Washington. Floyd died after being restrained by Minneapolis police officers

You’ve gotta admire the brazenness someone has to operate with to not protect their own city from riots, trash the President in the process, and then go running to the federal government for money. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, who bears a striking resemblance to Canada’s Justin Trudeau, has managed it though.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the damages are already at $55 million and climbing. That money’s got to come from somewhere, so why not the Trump, right?

With at least $55 million in estimated damage and far more to come, Minneapolis will need state and federal aid as it attempts to rebuild hundreds of structures after the riots following George Floyd’s death, Mayor Jacob Frey said.

City officials are still putting together a complete tally of the destruction and cautioned that estimates are likely to rise significantly. Gov. Tim Walz and members of Minnesota’s congressional delegation are trying to get government assistance to offset that cost. But in the past, neither the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) nor Congress has consistently sent federal funding to cities ravaged by riots.

Yeah, that’s not what FEMA is for, as evidenced by the fact that Maryland was denied such assistance by the Obama administration in 2015 after the Baltimore riots. These politicians sat idly by and let their cities be destroyed. They need to be the ones to pay for it. These people had ample opporutnity, including usage of the National Guard, to stop the rioting, burning of buildings, and looting. They instead chose to appease the mob for purely political reasons. That’s on them. . . .

2 Likes

Without such funding large areas of the city could become no go zones. We’ve seen what happens to such areas, like in Detroit. It would seem the principle of subsidiarity comes into play here. If a society of a lower order can’t get the job done, a society of a higher order must step in. Though I don’t expect Trump to. Which is a shame because there are duties to the common good, especially in a ruler.

2 Likes

lol

Joking aside, I really hope this mayor gets voted out.

1 Like

The mayor probably let the rioters run rampant so he could call Trump a dictator after he sent in the military. Trump called his bluff unfortunately.

With that in mind, the only way Trump should send money is if the mayor publicly apologizes and resigns, especially with that talk about disbanding the police department.

Otherwise, I imagine BLM’s members are flush with easily sold items after the “protests”. Perhaps they can start a fund?

3 Likes

I hope the cities that experienced large scale rioting, violence and damage recover eventually. it does make one wonder though if recent events will cause some to move out of the effected area, to the suburbs or elsewhere. The resulting loss of tax revenue from those leaving might not be replaceable.

1 Like

Frey is the same one who called for “abortion providers appreciation day” this past March 10th.

And I know, his wife became pregnant.

There is something wrong with this picture.

And by the way, I think that as long as life is treated as disposable, especially in some communities, those communities will not be healed.

I’ll bet in Minnesota, abortion is way imbalanced in communities. Planned Parenthood builds in or is at least, close to minority communities. I’ll bet percentages buying their “services” are way off.

3 Likes

This guy sounds like a complete loser. Abortion Provider appreciation day? I wonder if he went anywhere for “Thank your local Child Molester” week last july? What kind of wretched human glorifies abortion providers?

And like many people with no shame, has no issue coming with hat in hand because he can’t run his city and ask everyone else for help.

7 Likes

Do you vote in Minneapolis? If you don’t, your opinion is fair game, albeit meaningless in terms of the election.

How many times should I forgive my brother? 70 times 7 in the Kingdom of God, but perhaps never in the Kingdom of Trump.

2 Likes

StudentMI . . .

If a society of a lower order can’t get the job done . . .

The problem here isn’t that “a society of a lower order can’t get the job done”.

The problem here is that “a society of a lower order refused to get the job done on purpose”.

If that society of a lower order wants to fix it, they can.
Vote out the Democrats who keep ordering “stand downs” in the face of rioting, beatings, and looting.

1 Like

charity begins at home. Have you forgiven Trump for any of his 18,000 lies?

3 Likes

I think I have, for the most part. I don’t like his constant lying, but I have come to accept and expect it. My own thoughts are, he is in way over this head and that he is merely the wrong person for the wrong job at the dreadfully wrong time.

That doesn’t really address the duties of the higher order. In this case the common good may require money given to the lower order.

All those stolen goods went somewhere good sir.

Dang, is that what the tally is up to now?

The tally is up a bit to 19,128.

This is bookmark worthy

1 Like

StudentMI . . .

In this case the common good may require money given to the lower order.

Well if you think that, feel free to send Mpls. Mayor Frey YOUR money. I’m sure they will take it.

The mayor of Minneapolis is asking Trump to give personal funds? That what the headline implies.

If not the case, that a request for federal funds was made. Then that doesn’t belong to Trump, but to us.

3 Likes

Standing Down

Progressive politicians watch as Minneapolis burns.

Willis L. Krumholz

May 29, 2020

. . . By that night, however, things turned ugly. “The most shocking thing to me when I was on the ground is realizing just how quickly the emphasis of justice for George Floyd was lost,” observed a reporter for The Daily Caller. “As the evening wore on into the early morning hours, the original crowd of people that was there holding protest signs, doing chants, quickly deteriorated.”

Cars sped around wildly, knowing the police wouldn’t respond. People drank alcohol and smoked marijuana in the streets.

Then the rioters began looting and burning buildings, starting in south Minneapolis but quickly moving to the more-upscale Uptown neighborhood. Rows of businesses and shops on Uptown’s Lake Street were looted and torched. Emergency call logs recorded dozens of “fire events,” and responders were attacked with rocks and other projectiles. A $30 million affordable-housing project was burnt, as was a Cub Foods grocery store. A man looting a pawn shop was shot by the store owner, who was quickly arrested.

Thursday night was even worse. > Thursday night was even worse. The looting continued in Uptown, where thugs broke into the Apple Store. In a plea to be left alone, store owners posted signs saying that the store was minority-owned. Windows were smashed and stores looted in the Downtown business district.

1/2 . . .

2/2

Looting and rioting spread to St. Paul; between Minneapolis and St. Paul, well over 170 stores and shops were looted and destroyed. There were also reports of looting or attempted looting at malls across the Twin Cities.

Most shockingly, rioters took over the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct building and set it ablaze. The police—under orders—retreated from their own headquarters, turning it over to the mob, which attempted to blow it up and burn down the neighborhood. Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said that the official inaction was motivated by concern for the safety of his officers, the looters, and the protesters. After the night of mayhem, a woman was also found dead in a car near the riot areas, with signs of trauma—the second person to die as the result of the rioting and looting as of Friday morning.

After making initial comments Wednesday, before the looting started, Governor Tim Walz hid from the press for almost a day, refusing even to issue a statement. He said that he had mobilized the National Guard but didn’t formulate a plan until after the second night of looting had begun. In a press conference Friday morning, where Walz announced that he had taken control from local officials, it became apparent that he didn’t even give the order for the National Guard to act until Friday.

Walz blamed his inaction on Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey. Frey—a Democrat who let left-wing rioters run amok when President Trump came to town—shrugged off responsibility and minimized the damage. Clearly the source of the police stand-down order that allowed his own city to burn, Frey kept repeating that the destruction was “just brick and mortar.” After Frey was informed that Walz’s office was taking over, a reporter asked “What’s the plan here? What are we doing?” Frey responded, looking dazed: “With regard to?”

. . . every public official responsible for the mayhem is a Democrat—the governor, the mayors of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and even Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, who finally had Chauvin arrested on Friday. And it was current Democrat Senator Amy Klobuchar, the former county attorney, who failed to prosecute Chauvin for misdeeds in the past. Democrats collectively run a state that has one of the widest racial disparities in the country in terms of education and income…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.