Minneapolis woman shot by police for no apparent reason

cnn.com/2017/07/17/us/minneapolis-woman-killed-by-police/index.html

While none of the public knows what happened in this particular case yet, I am taking this occasion to assert that generally the police are more trigger-happy than they used to be, and to ask why that is so. Actually I have a theory, but I want to hear other suggestions first.

How can you have a theory? We have no knowledge of what happened!

she (Damond, the victim) spoke to them (the police) near an alley. At some point, Noor, who was in the squad’s passenger seat, reached over and shot Damond (the victim and citizen reporting a possible crime).

And

Damond was shot and killed while wearing her pajamas and speaking to another police officer, identified as Matthew Harrity, after calling 911 to report a possible assault in an alley behind her home . . . .

This almost sounds too bizarre to be true.

QUOTE:
MPD Officer Who Shot Woman Identified As Mohamed Noor

July 17, 2017 11:04 AM By Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield

Sources tell WCCO-TV that Damond called 911 over a possible assault, and when Noor and another officer arrived at the scene in a squad car, she spoke to them near an alley. At some point, Noor, who was in the squad’s passenger seat, reached over and shot Damond.

Monday evening, the Hennepin County medical examiner confirmed Damond died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

WCCO also confirmed the identity of the second officer in the vehicle: Matthew Harrity.

What exactly led to the shooting remains unclear. No weapons were recovered from the scene, according to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, the agency called in to investigate the shooting. A cellphone was found near Damond’s body. . . .

. . . Although Noor and the other officer were wearing body cameras, they were not turned on during the shooting, the BCA said. Also, the squad’s dashcam camera didn’t capture what happened. . . .

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges says that she’s working with the BCA to release as much information about the shooting as possible. . .

minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/17/mpd-officer-shot-woman-identified/

QUOTE:
Mohamed Noor: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

By Jessica McBride Jul 17, 2017 at 12:07pm

Mohamed Noor, the Minneapolis police officer who is accused of shooting and killing Justine Damond, . . . . was the first Somali-American officer in his precinct.

A year ago, the arrival of Noor on the Minnesota police force was celebrated by the mayor and Somali community he hails from. There is a pending federal complaint against him, though, by a former social worker from Minneapolis who says Noor and other officers violated her constitutional rights in March by ordering her detention at a hospital after she called 911 to report a drug crime and other issues. You can read that complaint below.

Damond was shot and killed while wearing her pajamas and speaking to another police officer, identified as Matthew Harrity, after calling 911 to report a possible assault in an alley behind her home . . . .

. . . Authorities have been very vague and tight-lipped on the shooting, saying that it’s under investigation. . . .

heavy.com/news/2017/07/mohamed-noor-justine-damond-ruszczyk-minneapolis-police-officer-somali-mohammed/

At this point I really don’t know what to make of the fact that the cop who shot her is a Somali immigrant. Too much information missing.

DaveBj:

At this point I really don’t know what to make of the fact that the cop who shot her is a Somali immigrant.

You are right DaveBj. Way too soon to draw any conclusions.

People will invariably be asking if this police hire was “stylish” or “qualified”.

(See “stylish” hires artistically warned about here:

A prophetic clip from a 1976 film

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdysW4Pw_SE)

I am inclined to think the hire was “qualified”.

But the situation is very unexplainable (at least so far).

More will come out and it will likely make more sense then.

Please reread my post. My theory is not about this particular case.

I’m highly skeptical that police shootings have increased in recent years. I would need some very reliable data to believe that (which I’m open to read).

The homicide rate in the U.S. has been collapsing since the early 1990s. Yes, we still have a lot of gun deaths (not to mention thousands of accidental gun deaths among children) due to our vanity towards guns as objects of power, but violent crime is nonetheless steadily decreasing almost everywhere, with a few exceptions (such as Chicago).

I apologize; I misunderstood you.

No worries.

Why in the world do you think they are more ‘trigger happy’ than they used to be?

What stats have you looked at?

The police abuses aren’t new. The level of news coverage (and cameras) are.

This is what happens when you let the police carry guns. And it will continue to happen until their guns are taken away. Simple as that.

I am all for that! Just figure out a concrete way to take all the guns out of the hands of criminals first and I am on board.

Then the inmates would complete their takeover of the asylum - a process which is well underway already.

Indeed. With armed criminals, we would just be opening up the police to slaughter.

I want to agree with this but I’m not sure it is true. It could just be that we are more aware of the circumstances. It could just be they can’t as easily cover up unjustified shootings.

However I do think things like Iraq and Afghanistan vets, greater state power, consolidation of oversight by the state itself, and a less homogenous society work to encourage unjustified shootings. Then again there have been some corrupt, dangerous, and deadly sheriffs and police since the very beginning.

“A cellphone was found near the body.” And I think that’s the only explanation: Noor saw a flash of light reflecting off the cellphone, saw something in her hand, thought it was a gun, and fired. Nothing else could possibly explain why one officer suddenly shot across the body of another officer toward a woman in pajamas standing outside their car. My sense is that these circumstances were known in the first 30 minutes after the incident, and the authorities are just grappling with how to explain all this with minimum damage to the police department and the Somali community. Officer Noor apparently, after two years on the force, has 3 complaints filed against him. And the failure to activate body cameras further complicates what needs to be explained.

I think we need to be very careful not to let media coverage overrule facts.

The assertion that police are more “trigger-happy than they used to be” is a statement that can be verified by data—one way or the other. Are police discharging their firearms more frequently? We would need to see actual numbers to know for sure.

However, I can certainly see how people would get that impression based on media reports. Once a narrative catches on (e.g. “Police just love to shoot people for no reason”), then every story where a police shoots someone under ambiguous circumstances becomes a national news story. But simply because these stories now receive a wider audience does not mean they are happening with greater frequency. We would need data to support that claim, not simply the vague impression fueled by how often we see headlines about such stories.

Now, I can’t say whether they are happening more frequently or not. I haven’t seen any numbers. If anyone has any to share, I’d be most interested in seeing them.

British police generally do not carry guns along with many other police in western Europe and there are definitely high crime areas there too. Also most American officers never fire their guns during the entire length of their careers.

I agree on the drop in homicide rates, we’re about where we were around Kenny’s administration. I agree also on the use of guns a symbol of power. I’m not against gun ownership at all, but there’s vigorous opposition, from multiple sides, to any sensible consensus as to what constitutes safe gun ownership.

As for Chicago, I live a suburb not too far outside Chicago. The violence is contained to a few pockets of the city rarely visited by outsiders, you’d never know from where I live. In fact the murder rate was about the lowest in 30 maybe 50 years in 2014. Then there was the explosion. However it must be noted that the murder rate is sill less than it was around 1990 during which most large cites had their massive peaks in murders.

I also hope that people can use this example to decouple Black Lives Matter from Blue Lives Matter. I still think Black people suffer more from police interaction, but police are putting their lives on the line in many communities. Black Lives Matter is not solely about black and police interactions, it’s also about the reduced social standings of black people.

Well, not necessarily, the 2nd amendment was the best way the founding fathers could protect against tyranny getting a foothold, the Govt (authority) is supposed to be frightened of the people, not the other way around! The original intent was to ensure the people were always equally armed as the govt, so if need be, the people could step in and shut a govt down if they started becoming tyrannical, oddly though, today, these kinds of people are demonized and labelled 'domestic terrorists", and majority of people actually believe govt or authority (police) need to have the upper hand over the people in terms of firepower.(that is probably the most successful thing our tyrannical govt has accomplished, they have conditioned the public into believing tyranny is in their best interest and for their own security and safety).

Hows that old saying go…" When a people fear their Govt there is tyranny, when a Govt fears the people there is liberty".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.