Minnesota-priest-who-says-covid-19-is-a-scam-told-to-halt-such-preaching

1 Like

It seems +Hebda is doing this gently but firmly. I commend him, and I lament Fr. Altier, a doctrinal genius, has been sucked into this conspiracy stuff and allowed it to taint his ministry.

5 Likes

Even if what he said were true, the homily is not the place for it. That is not the stuff that homilies are made of. People do not want to hear his opinion, or his theory about this or politics. They want to hear more about the gospel reading of that day, and receive new understanding of it to take with them.

6 Likes

I know Archbishop Hebda, I have served on the altar with him at least twice, and he was the celebrant at my daughter’s wedding Mass. He is a Pittsburgh guy, a brilliant man, Harvard undergrad, Columbia law degree, licenciate in canon law from the Pontifical North American In Rome. More importantly, I find him to have a “common touch”, as Kipling would say. Very pastoral. I think his handling of this travesty is spot on, both substantively and pastorally. WTG Bernie!!!

6 Likes

I think the good Father needs a vacation. His obsession with this is likely not of interest to many in his congregation, and is unsettling from a mental health standpoint.

4 Likes

Good on the Bishop for reining this priest in.

2 Likes

To be fair to this priest, there is a decent amount of speculation, and circumstantial evidence that the CCP is not being honest about the virus and it’s origins. It’s fairly obvious that this obscurity plays well for the CCP as it causes further confusion, paranoia, and chaos. This priest has seemingly taken the bait. Let us not overreact to this viral outbreak, no matter the cause.

I didn’t see anywhere in the article where the bishop said that the priest’s claims were necessarily wrong. But the bishop did tell the priest that a homily was not an appropriate place to talk about such things.

2 Likes

The point is not whether it’s true or not. It is inappropriate as a homily.

5 Likes

Yes, and the concern to me is not whether the priest has some extreme opinions on the virus, it’s that he thinks it’s okay and perhaps even thinks it’s his duty to share his opinions with his flock via the pulpit.

If he wanted to expound on this stuff at a dinner party then he’s free to do so, and others are free to disagree or change the subject, and the host would be free to ask him to tone it down or leave.

Homilies from the pulpit are for explaining Scripture and moral teachings of the Church, not for the priest to share opinions on conspiracies, medical matters, and other non-religious topics.

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 12 hours.

The Church has always been pro-life, completely. Any priest advocating something that could cost lives should be told to cease and desist before some parish joins the list of other churches where such skepticism has directly cost the lives of those who listened to the pastor.

1 Like

Not sure what you are trying to say here. It was wrong. Period. His bishop corrected him. That means the bishop considered it serious. The fact that he may be a “media priest” has no bearing on his demonstrably seriously improper conduct. Implying that it is no big deal because “it could have been worse” misses the mark. It was bad enough.

Moreover I believe your attempt to promote an event that he is apparently speaking at, by linking to it is against forum rules, and off topic.

Media priests make mistakes.

I’ve noticed a couple of the cagey ones who shall remain nameless allowing a layperson to post on the priest’s normal blogs or social media pages, saying stuff you know the priest agrees with, but that he himself might get in trouble for saying.

1 Like

Yep, a smart alec’s way of getting the message out but also allowing yourself distance from it.

I see Fr Z is now openly declaring Covid to be a lab engineered communist plot.
I find this sort of talk, even if it’s true, from priests disturbing. No priest that I’ve known in real life would ever be so dogmatic on political issues… he’s not speculating or suggesting, he’s declaring it as fact. It’s scary. It shakes me, because I once admired priests like Fr Z… but the sensationalism and politics since Trump took office is just so intense.

4 Likes

The one big glitch in the man made communist plot theory for me, is why on earth would they start it right in China? Wouldn’t they sneak it into the US and start it there?

2 Likes

I, for one, am very happy to see priests who demonstrate that they lack judgement and critical thinking skills to do it publicly so I know not to take them seriously on theological issues.

1 Like

Agreed. I actually have known quite a few priests who were, and probably still are truthers, birthers and climate change deniers, it’s quite sad and preposterous that they are allowed to spread such conspiracy theory nonsense.

Clerics should preach about scientific matters unless they are themselves scientists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.