Minnesota Prof Pledges To Desecrate Eucharist

Words fail me.

catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1459

Wow. I read his blog. What a hate-filled individual.

That at least allows me to cross off one potential college campus for my kids.

Pss.14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

1Cor.11:29
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

Ironic how the more we try to hurt God, the more we just end up hurting ourselves in the end.

I bet if he said he was going to desecrate a Koran, there would be an uproar heard around the world in the MSM and he would be immediately fired.

Since this is attack against God, you can hear a pin drop.

Ironically, this “professor” was one of the targets in Expelled.

You think he is hatefilled, did you read the comments associated with his blog? Lots of hate-filled people patting him on the back saying how stupid Catholic are for believing what they do.

I bet he won’t do the same thing to something that Muslums consider Holy, I doubt he would desecrate a picture of Mohammed.

Comments against Catholics are fair-game. Comments against any other group make you a bigot, racist, etc.

Apparently, being rabidly anti-Catholic is not considered hate. Contrast that with other things that come from “higher” education and one can easily see that Christianity, in all forms, is fair game.

OK, I sent am email to the U of M president:

I am sure you are aware of this man’s heinous threats against a consecrated host - the Catholic eucharist.

I hope you will reign in this man’s hate and behavior.

If he was this outspoken against homosexuality, the Koran, Mohammed, Black people, or any other group, he would be charged with a hate crime. But because he is making this threat against the Catholic faith, and in fact against the very thing which Catholics hold most sacred (the actual body and blood of Christ which we believe is present in a consecrated host), I am willing to bet it will be tried to be covered up.

I would, however, sincerely hope you take decisive action and hold him to the same standards you would if a member of your faculty or staff made a similar threat against any other group. If he made a threat to desecrate a Koran, would you stand idly by, or would you take disciplinary action against him?

I will be watching this closely, as I have 3 children who are beginning their college search in earnest. Depending on the action that is or is not taken, it may make our choices easier (or at least significantly narrow them down).

Thank you for your prompt action,

This just goes to show how sad our country has gotten. While I was quite enraged and saddened when I first read this, I have come to realize we must pray for these individuals that they may change the errors of their ways and thinking. My poor Jesus! Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Good letter. Whom did you send it to, their directory is not very user friendly and I didn’t see a letter from their president, so I could easily identify him.

BTW…I did notice that the original administrators of the college were the Sisters of Mercy. How sad they would be to hear of this speech by one of the professors.

I will pray for this man.

I believe that now, especially, the only things we have at this juncture of history to defend our Faith will be prayer–constant; penance-constant; and love-constant. Only by flooding the media and this person’s blog with words of love --not ignoring his hate but conquering it with love of the person while deprecating his wrong actions–will we have any impact whatsoever.

By offering this person true love instead of wimpy ‘tolerance’ or striking back in anger:

By offering, on behalf of this person, penance for any wrongs, done or intended:

By offering constant prayer to God in faith, hope, and love:

We may be able to make SOME impression.

I say that now these three above are our most powerful ‘weapons’ against evil, and they are.

I believe though that sooner than we may think we will add the fourth, final and most powerful weapon: the blood of martyrs. We have started, figuratively, with the suffering of being vilified for our faith, of suffering ‘little consequences’ of being mocked and insulted. It is very possible that these will escalate into our being accused of hate crimes simply by professing our faith, indeed into being deprived of our livelihood, our families, and perhaps even our lives.

We need to increase our prayer, penance and our love. . .right now.

May God bless us and save us. . .all of us, including this man, a child of God filled with hate and fear. Let us ‘love him as ourselves’ and pray for him.

There is a link on the Catholic League article. Better hurry since I expect that it will be changed soon.

Bravo!:clapping:

I’ll be curious to see what type of lame canned response you get, if any. Most public University Presidents are cowards that just hide under their desks.

I sent it Robert Bruininks, the president of the U of M system.

bruin001@umn.edu

Let’s be careful that in our very correct upset about the man’s actions or intentions that we don’t start falling into generalizations about him, or other people, and start labeling them unfairly.

Again I repeat that the type of love we need to express should not attempt to deny that the man’s actions and intentions are totally wrong, but that we can ‘separate’ his actions etc. from the man himself, who as a child of God is our ‘neighbor’.

We need to practice the kind of love that Jesus would have for him. Jesus, while not ‘excusing’ or condoning this man’s wrong, would** offer ** forgiveness and love. . .and so should we. It is up to this man then to accept the offer, to ask for forgiveness and to repent, as we pray he will.

Agreed. Here is what I sent (thanks to those who posted the info I missed on the original post):

Dear Mr. Bruininks,

I read about the distasteful postings on a blog by Professor Myers regarding the desecration of the Eucharist. As a couple of my children are heading to college, I already have to prepare them for the nastiness that comes from anti-Catholic students (both Christians and non-Christians), but it really worries me when I have to warn them about professors. I read on the UMM site that the original administrators were the Sisters of Mercy. How sad they would be to here of how anti-Catholic the University has become. While Freedom of Speech is an important foundation of our country, ridicule and desecration is not acceptable behavior for a professor.

I’ve sent my email.

This aside, I have to say that Dr. Myers is an ok guy… he knows his biology, and I respect him as a scientist if not as an atheist. He could, to say the least, use a lesson in tact.

I’ve sent my email…I’ll post if I receive a response

I will pray for this man.

This is all we can do.

Prof. Myers’ comments are inflammatory, but they weren’t made on University time with University resources. His follow-up post is correct: Bill Donohue sent us all the email address he did because he knows that Prof. Myers’ private speech is otherwise protected. Whether it should be or not is another issue – but if I were the president of the University of Minnesota, I would do just enough to disavow Prof. Myers’ position and nothing more.

It will always amaze me how someone who claims to be “rational” and “enlightened” enough to be an atheist can proceed to behave in such an irrational, unenlightened way. It’s too bad that modern philosophy began to forsake ethics for epistemology.

I sent this to the Alumni Association and copied the President.

Dear University of Minnesota Alumni Members:

I urge you to stand up against the hate-filled “professor” Paul Zachary Myers, and the University President Robert Bruininks for allowing Mr. Meyers to spew hateful Anti-Catholic tirades that can be accessed directly from the U of M’s web site. ** I EMPLOR YOU TO STOP GIVING ANY MONEY TO THE UNIVERSITY UNTIL MR. MEYERS IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS BIGGOTRY!**

Here is an excerpt of his July 8 post, “It’s a Frackin’ Cracker!” accessed from the U of M website:

“Can anyone out there score me some consecrated communion wafers?” Myers continued by saying, “if any of you would be willing to do what it takes to get me some, or even one, and mail it to me, I’ll show you sacrilege, gladly, and with much fanfare. I won’t be tempted to hold it hostage (no, not even if I have a choice between returning the Eucharist and watching Bill Donohue kick the pope in the balls, which would apparently be a more humane act than desecrating a goddamned cracker), but will instead treat it with profound disrespect and heinous cracker abuse, all photographed and presented here on the web.”

If any professor denigrated and insulted any Muslims, threatened to desecrate the Koran, or insulted Martin Luther King in this way you would have an all-out riot on your hands. However, as usual, it seems to be open season on Catholics with no consequences.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.