Minor rants thread

This thread is for any liturgy issues that don’t deserve their own thread, but get under your skin a bit.

At 6pm Sunday Mass at my local parish, the responsorial psalm is replaced by the choir singing some other song. So is the gospel acclamation. So is the memorial acclamation of faith (this one in particular is always part of the bridge from ‘recieve the power’). I would rather go to a Mass with no singing (like 6pm Saturday, when I can make it).

Is it a song or another psalm? This is what the GIRM states:

In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found either in the Roman Gradual or Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of the psalms and antiphons, including psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the responsorial Psalm.

The Gospel Acclamation has some variance, especially during Lent. While for the rest of the year, it is Alleluia, during Lent it can be any one of these options:

Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory.
Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
Praise and honor to you, O Lord Jesus Christ.
Glory to you, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ

I do not have my Missal with me (in the jeep), but, that is what I remember of the options.

Now, regarding the Memorial Acclamation, I do not understand what you mean when you say “receive the power”. That is not part of the acclamation. The current Missal has four options:

Christ has died. Christ has risen. Christ will come again.
When we eat this bread and drink this cup, we proclaim your death Lord Jesus until you come in glory.
Dying you destroyed our death. Rising you restored our life. Lord Jesus, come in glory.
Lord, by your cross and resurrection, you have set us free. You are the Savior of the world.

The new translation removes “Christ has died”… as it does not appear in the official Latin version of the Roman Missal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.