Minor Seminary? (high school)

I have felt called to be a priest for some time now, probably being three years. Next year, I will be in 8th grade, and the year after that 9th. My question is with my strong desire to do God’s will, if I still feel called to the priesthood when I end my 8th grade year, should I enter a minor seminary. I am torn because I have this extreme desire to go to a minor seminary but, the pastor of my church says it would be the one thing he wishes he could change about his life and he doesn’t recommend it. I extremely feel called to serve Christ through the priesthood and would like to begin, if it be His will, studying now. Are there any traditionally minded minor seminaries for high-schoolers? If it be God’s will for me to become a priest, I most likely would join the Canons Regular of Saint John Cantius, the FSSP, or the ICKSP. Advice? Minor Seminary suggestions? Please help and God bless! :shrug:

St. John Vianney, Pray for Us!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us!

I advise against pursuing such a path as entering a Junior Seminary. I really advise you to listen to your Pastor and seek an active and involved spiritual director who you can confide in and who you can trust. I am currently a senior at a Public High School. Public School has done so much more for my faith than Catholic School. I am reminded of a quote by the late, great, Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen, “If you want your children to fight for their faith, send them to public school. If you want them to lose their faith, send them to Catholic school”. I urge you to take this important time of your life to step back and live the faith according to your age. Events will go very quickly, and you will want time back that you lost.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about Seminary applications or Seminary life. I will be entering (barring any unforeseen circumstances) College Seminary next Fall, so by all means, keep me updated.

I will pray for you in hopes that you can pray for me.

I concur. My husband attended a minor seminary. He now says he was much too young. He missed out a lot on family life, and even after all these years doesn’t feel close to his family. It’s much more normal for a young man to leave his family to go to college

If I may ask why? :shrug:

But a totally agree with Bl Pope Pius IX. I too attend non-catholic gymnasia-school and I think that is even better for us who will (if God wants) become Priests. Because we will live and serve in real world and not in some “sterilized environment”

In Christo,
frater Attempto

I don’t know. I told him I was considering it and he said that he wishes he didn’t go and wouldn’t encourage me to, and would even discourage me to go. :shrug:

I really wish either the FSSP or Canons Regular had a minor seminary. I just don’t know what to do because I am currently positive God is calling me to the priesthood (and I am fine with that!) but, I just don’t know how long I am going to have to wait before i can study for what I think he is calling me to. Thanks for your reply! I will pray for you!

I don’t think boarding schools are good for teens in general. Perhaps if you called the vocations office in your diocese, you could find out about some good programs for boys who feel called to the priesthood that don’t involve leaving home and joining junior seminary.

Discernment is a two sided coin, my friend. You are only in 7th grade. Do not get caught up in it. Vocational Directors do not want men who are so sure about it, because that does not show a suppression of will. Indeed, Discernment and vocational discovery is only possible if you suppress your will for the will of God. I really urge you to reexamine your life and your future. While one hears constantly about this shortage of priests, this doesn’t mean they’re accepting every lad who walks in. You need more time.

I hadn’t heard of a minor seminary in years, and didn’t know what one was until I read this thread.

The Holy Ghost works on attraction. If you can possibly visit a minor seminary, and everything seems to line up for you, then perhaps that’s where God wants you.

The world in Archbishop Sheen’s day was 180 degrees different from the world we live in today. Religious vocations need a place where they can go for ‘worldly detox’, and I pray for the day we have more beguinages for the sake of discerners.

There are arguments both for and against minor seminary. Visit, try a year, then decide further. It’s basically between you, God, and the person(s) financing the venture.

Blessings,
Cloisters

I know that I talked to a Capuchin about this and he was the only one to become a religious after attending a minor seminary, and this was in the 1960’s. So, my advice is to go to college to get some real life expirence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.