Minorities Should Express Shame, Not Only Pride

Gay Pride. Jewish Pride. Black pride. Hispanic Pride.

Multiculturalism.

Ethnic pride. Minority rights vs. tyranny of the majority.

For a generation, America has been awash in the celebration of minorities and minorities celebration of themselves. Just recall Black is Beautiful or I am a woman, I am invincible.

At the same time, the majority group in America – white Christians – has been allowed to celebrate very little. Rather, they have constantly been reminded of what they should be ashamed of – their racism, sexism, homophobia, patriarchy, and xenophobia – real and alleged.

But what about minority shame?

Why does one almost never hear expressions of group shame from members of any American group other than white Christians (specifically, white Christian male heterosexuals)? Are the only evildoers in America white male heterosexual Christians? Is there something inherently wrong about members of minorities expressing anything but group pride? Are there no minority sins worthy of shame? The latter is in fact the argument advanced by many intellectuals concerning black racism, for example. For a generation, college students have been taught that it is impossible for blacks to be racist because only the racial group in power, i.e. whites, can express racism.

townhall.com/columnists/DennisPrager/2008/12/16/minorities_should_express_shame,_not_only_pride?page=full&comments=true

For a generation, college students have been taught that it is impossible for blacks to be racist because only the racial group in power, i.e. whites, can express racism.

I heard that once, in college. But note that the law comes down just as hard on black-committed hate crimes as on white-committed hate crimes.

Excellent article. I’ve been called racists many before merely because I am a white, heterosexual, Christian male; it makes me feel good that someone of a minority group sees the problem, too.

Ye Olde Rhetoric:

Majority rules, minority gets ------.

This isn’t a news story.

The Barbarian;

But note that the law comes down just as hard on black-committed hate crimes as on white-committed hate crimes.

We wouldn’t know. We NEVER hear about it.

Even though, in 2005, Black on white homicide was 934 to White on black homicide: 337. And has been that way for the last 29 years. :shrug:
ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/ovracetab.htm

[quote=Prager]The relative absence of expressions of shame in the Muslim world over the atrocities committed in Islams name is an example of the above. The labeling of blacks who express shame over disproportionate rates of violent crime and out-of-wedlock births in the black community as Uncle Toms is another. The absence of any expression of shame in the gay community over the current blacklisting – and attempts to economically destroy – anyone who donated to the California proposition defining marriage as between a man and a woman is another example.
[/quote]

:nope:

Dennis Prager is as clueless as ever. I am amazed that anyone pays attention to him.

Hey, Dennis, try getting to know some minorities. Or at least read some blogs where minorities post. You’ll see misgivings about violent crime in the black community and you will see upset over excesses in the gay reaction to the Proposition 8 vote. And, yes, you will see shame when someone in your group does something stupid.

Dale_M;

Hey, Dennis, try getting to know some minorities. Or at least read some blogs where minorities post. You’ll see misgivings about violent crime in the black community

Yeah, they still have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They still became mad at Bill Cosby, didn’t they? Prager means their prominent black leaders.

and you will see upset over excesses in the gay reaction to the Proposition 8 vote.

Prager means their prominent gay leaders.

And, yes, you will see shame when someone in your group does something stupid.

YEAH, and our leaders, kick them out of our group!

I guess it is not fair to say that the majority in all of the above vote Democrat to, huh? Nah, that’s not fair. That’s not based on any kind of truth either, is it?

If that is what he meant (after all, he didn’t say it), his essay is even sillier. Shame is a personal emotion. Its not a platform for leadership.

Barbarian observes:
But note that the law comes down just as hard on black-committed hate crimes as on white-committed hate crimes.

We wouldn’t know. We NEVER hear about it.

You don’t read newspapers, or watch the evening news, then.

Even though, in 2005, Black on white homicide was 934 to White on black homicide: 337. And has been that way for the last 29 years.

Hmm… that would mean that whites are much more likely to kill blacks than a random selection would indicate, and that blacks are much less likely to kill whites, than a random selection would show.

Since whites are more numerous than blacks in America, a random process would result in more whites being killed, just because they would be more numerous.

Your data shows exactly the opposite of what you intended it to show. Roughly one-eighth of Americans are of African ancestry. That means that a random selection would show whites as victims about seven out of 8 times, and blacks about one out of 8. As you see, blacks kill far fewer whites than a random sample would indicate,and whites kill far more blacks than randomness would show.

If you want to call this racism, you can, but it wouldn’t lead to a conclusion you’d like.

Dale_M;

If that is what he meant (after all, he didn’t say it), his essay is even sillier. Shame is a personal emotion. Its not a platform for leadership

You must not listen to Prager then.

The Barbarian;

You don’t read newspapers, or watch the evening news, then.

Sure I do, and I rarely, if ever, hear of such a thing. I DO hear, all the time, about the opposite, or gay’s whining. Yeah, I hear about that all the time.

Hmm… that would mean that whites are much more likely to kill blacks than a random selection would indicate, and that blacks are much less likely to kill whites, than a random selection would show.

Since whites are more numerous than blacks in America, a random process would result in more whites being killed, just because they would be more numerous.

Your data shows exactly the opposite of what you intended it to show. Roughly one-eighth of Americans are of African ancestry. That means that a random selection would show whites as victims about seven out of 8 times, and blacks about one out of 8. As you see, blacks kill far fewer whites than a random sample would indicate,and whites kill far more blacks than randomness would show.

I see of the (a minority)13% of blacks, killing more whites than whites(80%)killing blacks. Blacks are disproportionately killing more whites that whites killing blacks.

Another way to say it is this: The majority is exercising more control than the minority. I’m not saying that is what it is, but that is describing the data.

Or this:

prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex/graphs/murderrace.jpg

If you want to call this racism, you can, but it wouldn’t lead to a conclusion you’d like

Nothing in this is racism at all. But I see that since you brought it up, that you are asserting that it is. What it is, is a sad state.

Here is another: The Rates

Homicide Offenders by Race

Rate of white offenders per 100,000: 8350

Rate of black offenders per 100,000: 10,285

Whites, percent of population: 80%

Blacks, percent of population: 14%

ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/oracetab.htm

1. TownHall is not a credible or impartial news source. Its columnists tend to be polemicists.

2. There is a problem of violence within the minority community.

3. The vast majority of crime does not cross racial lines.

4. There certainly have been expressions of apology by "minority leaders’ for some crimes which occurred. This was by that famous, polarizing black leader.

5. When the shootings occurred at the Israeli airport by Japanese terrorists, the Japanese prime minister apologized. You think the CEO of Blackwater is gonna apologize, now that at least one employee has pleaded guilty to murder?

Beau Ouiville;

1. The vast majority of crime does not cross racial lines.

True. Just when it does, the minority is always highlighted as the victim.

1. There certainly have been expressions of apology by "minority leaders’ for some crimes which occurred. This was by that famous, polarizing black leader.

Who?

1. When the shootings occurred at the Israeli airport by Japanese terrorists, the Japanese prime minister apologized. You think the CEO of Blackwater is gonna apologize, now that at least one employee has pleaded guilty to murder?
  1. The CEO of Blackwater is not the leader of a foreign nation.
  2. Blackwater is not a terrorist group.
  3. But I haven’t seen The Taliban or the Baath party apologize for anything either, and they are responsible for 1000’s of times more deaths, rape, and tyranny than any one guy at Blackwater.

But speaking of Blackwater, did anyone know that Obama used Blackwater for security when he went to Europe to campaign?

Which black leader? Jesse Jackson! Surprised?

name one news source that is credible and impartial.

The New York Times (and what conservatives love to smear as the “MSM”) and other major newspapers are both highly credible and strive for at least some balance. TownHall was started by a conservative nut and repeats smears, paranoid conspiracy theories and features discredited columnists.

if the smear fits…
the NYT has the motto all the news that’s fit to print, right.
who determines what is fit?
obiviously some news items don’t fit their criteria. what are they trying to hide by not printing ALL of the news?

While I certainly wouldn’t trust Town Hall as a news source, the article in question is an opinion piece. As such, it is just as credible as anything written here.

Pride is a sin and that is one reason I am so critical of gay pride events and other minority pride events. It is one thing to have a good self esteem. It is quite another to let that evolve in to the sin of pride.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.