Miracle cures. How come not us

just getting used to this. Im new. Any thoughts as to why there are only certain miracle cures. never heard of anyone being cured of severe autism non verbal, or someone with downs. Please i ve heard gifts etc. However has anyone that has every been cured asked to go back to their disability so why is not everyone included ie those with learning difficulties. God bless

I’m not sure I totally understand your question, but I’ll take a stab at it.

1. Welcome to CAF!

2. It’s Down Syndrome. Not “downs” or anything else. :wink:

3. How do you know that God has never cured anyone with severe non-verbal autism or Down Sydrome? This could never be proven except by someone with some omniscient faculty, and God is the only one who has that.

I do not know if any one has ever been cured, hence the question but I have never heard of a cure being put forward in cases of beatification etc or at Lourdes again q why not, i am sure if there was such a cure someone somewhere will know and maybe answer it in this post thanks

I read a thread a long time ago saying that who says that someone with a handicap is in need of healing? God heals those who really need it. Often times we confuse what WE think is important (walking, full mental faculties, etc.) with what HE deems important (love, faith, humility, etc.). Sometimes those who society deems as sick are the happiest, most fulfilled people in the world. So when people are miraculously healed physically, there is probably a much deeper healing spiritually. And those who don’t get healed physically actually do not need it according to God’s will. I know that sounds like a bitter pill for some of us to swallow, but God sees things from a much different perspective than us and we must have faith in His plan.

not an answer thanks

[quote="haggie, post:1, topic:141539"]
just getting used to this. Im new. Any thoughts as to why there are only certain miracle cures. never heard of anyone being cured of severe autism non verbal, or someone with downs. Please i ve heard gifts etc. However has anyone that has every been cured asked to go back to their disability so why is not everyone included ie those with learning difficulties. God bless

[/quote]

You'd think that the miraculous restoration of Miguel Juan Pellicer's amputated leg in the miracle of Calanda would at least count for something... :shrug:

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think that God working a miracle will magically convince them... they are RESOLVED not to believe. God has worked plenty of miracles but skeptics look at them, even when they can't explain them, and rationalize that there could only be some natural explanation. They don't want to believe, and yet they fail to see the sillyness of a God constantly working miracles for people who desire NOT to accept them as miracles.

I've been lurking on CAF here for over a year and I have to tell you this question really hit home with me. Don't know if this will help but here goes...

I asked that same question for many years.
Where are the miracles?

My daughter was born with a very rare type of Muscular Dystrophy.

I was not active in any faith for many many years but I really started praying when we got the diagnosis.

Praying for that miracle.

I'd love to be able to tell you that she was miraculously cured but that is not the case.

The real person that was cured was me. She has taught me so much about was is truly important and I believe she lead me to my conversion.

She is great kid and "normal" in all other ways.
She just can't walk and needs a lot of physical help.

Teaching me I was in serious need of spiritual help. In the end she helps me everyday and that is the miracle.

It's true - God draws straight with crooked lines.
We don't always see where that line is headed.

But I don't know if there are any of these miracles you are looking for. I hope and believe there are .

There are a fair number of hagiographical stories of people who are “simple” (ie, either mentally handicapped or just not that smart) becoming smart. This doesn’t seem to happen much nowadays; but then, every age tends to have different needs before God.

It is generally connected with someone with a great love of God being given a vocation to the priesthood, monastery, convent, etc., because you had to be able to understand Latin to join up.

There are a lot more stories about someone who was “simple” (like St. Joseph of Cupertino, the guy who levitated) continuing to be mentally disabled in most ways, but still somehow being able to pass all the tests given to keep him out; and often such people are able to explain complicated points of theology in a very simple, direct way.

(Since St. Joseph of Cupertino spent so much time staring blankly into space as a child and adult, as well as wandering around in a daze without knowing how he’d gotten to places, there’s a lot of discussion about whether he might have been autistic, had a lot of seizures, or just was a deep thinker.)

There are also a fair number of hagiographical stories where someone received a miraculous healing of eyesight, a crippled leg, a deformed face, etc., and prayed that it be taken away again, in order to avoid temptation or to enable more love of God. For example, the story of St. Brigit healing the blind man, who spent a perfect day looking at things and then asked that his sight be taken away again, so that his next sight would be Heaven.

Of course, it’s possible that many of the undocumented stories from pre-modern times are just stories. But then, there are plenty of real, true, documented things that happen, which would be dismissed as just a folklore motif if you encountered them in a storybook.

For example, it’s well-documented that a lark flew up to the altar inside church at the moment that the bishop laid hands on one Josef Ratzinger’s head, to ordain him. He wrote about it in his own autobiography, and just took it as a reassuring sign that he could be a good priest, despite all his worries before ordination. Seeing as he became pope, it’s inevitable that this will become a hagiographical story motif; people may even come up with titles for the man based on it. But it really did happen, all the same.

Wonderful story thanks for sharing it. I too believe the miracles are often times the conversion of the person and his/her family and friends.

There are without a doubt many miracles of people cured from illnesses, physical and mental. Google miracle priest, lourdes france, st. anthony, st. jude etc, there are testimony stories on those sites as well. On our own forum here under prayer requests we have several threads of individuals who are walking miracles according to modern medicine.

[quote="BigRedMachine, post:7, topic:141539"]
I've been lurking on CAF here for over a year and I have to tell you this question really hit home with me. Don't know if this will help but here goes...

Where are the miracles?

I was not active in any faith for many many years but I really started praying when we got the diagnosis.
I'd love to be able to tell you that she was miraculously cured but that is not the case.

The real person that was cured was me. She has taught me so much about was is truly important and I believe she lead me to my conversion.
Teaching me I was in serious need of spiritual help. In the end she helps me everyday and that is the miracle.

But I don't know if there are any of these miracles you are looking for. I hope and believe there are .

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Most wonderful and inspiring! Thank you for joining up to share with us! I hope you will continue to participate here!

Where are the miracles?

[/quote]

Thank you,

I had a priest who told me that too often we think God has done/allowed some unfortunate thing to happen TO us and ask why me? When in fact God has done/allowed that thing to happen FOR someone else.

He said we will be judged on whether we fed the hungry, clothed the naked, tended the sick, visited the imprisoned etc. That kind of requires that some of us be poor, hungry, sick etc. Otherwise, there will be no one for us to assist to show Jesus we see Him in our fellow man.

I don't know what value there is in cataloging whether there has been a miraculous cure for each and every disease or condition that exists. I think that those who work to find cures or solutions/assistance for diseases and conditions are carrying out Christ's work. We can pray for miracles, but we still need to get in there work and get our hands dirty.

It's a mystery as to why some illnesses are cured and others are not.

We don't see amputees getting new limbs, nor do we see many forms of cancer reversed.

I suppose we should be greatful for the cures we see, regardless of how they came about.

Jim

Where are the miracles?

[/quote]

Thankyou so much, yes it has, my sons have changed so many people in so many ways. I just wondered why not us butI do not know if I am right, but I do not want them cured, only if Gods Wills it. Our children will go straight to Heaven thats for sure. Having read about amelia (lucias friend Fatima) being in purgatory until the end of time. I worry for all our young/well all people. Maybe the sick are here to help us not not the other way round God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.