Miracles and Evangelism from other religions

Miracles were used by Jesus and the Apostles to demonstrate the divine, to give reasons to people to follow Christ. Tim Staples has a good article on this catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/miracles-and-evangelism

What about miracles from other religions? What do we make of them?

What some religions claim to be miracles are really kooky, I must admit, but there are some that seem authentic.

Before the Catholic Church recognizes a miracle it studies it very carefully. I don’t believe other denominations are that careful about it. God Bless, Memaw

Hi Memaw, so you’re saying that there are NO miracles attributed to other religons and denominations?

I believe most alleged miracles are natural phenomena.

If we believe that God can work outside the visible bounds of the Church and bring people to him, even to where they can be saints in heaven, I think it’s also possible that such a saint could perform miracles on this earth. Sure, it would make more sense to me that God would only allow those in the Church with all his Truth to perform miracles, but his love and mercy often go beyond that which makes sense to us.

Now did I say that??? I just said that the Catholic Church is VERY careful what it calls a true miracle. Some people call many things a miracle even tho it really isn’t. God Bless, Memaw

The more usual, what you might call “orthodox” view among Protestants is that miracles have ceased (thus the term “cessationist”), and they ridicule Catholics for believing that they have happened in recent centuries along with their many other accusations of superstition. So it does not seem like Reformed Christians have an abundant testimony of miracles. I had read prior on a Protestant blog dealing with this subject that there are reports of miracles in relation to John Knox and Martin Luther. However, I just googled it, and I can’t find anything to validate that claim. Martin Luther himself was a cessationist, which would be absurd if he was going around raising the dead. Closest I found was that John Knox thought he was a prophet equal in every way to the Old Testament prophets on the basis of his “strong interior conviction” and that he liked to make predictions about future events. Nevertheless, there was nothing about his love for predicting things that went beyond a natural ability. So in short, the more traditional Protestants do not believe in miracles nor claim to have worked them.

Other Protestants, especially Charismatic ones, are more likely to believe in continuing miracles and that their coreligionists have experienced miracles. I have seen stories of individual testimonies online. I suppose you’d have to judge for yourself whether those are true.

St. Francis de Sales focuses on miracles quite a bit in The Catholic Controversy. One of his big arguments is that authorities in the Church must have “mission” from God (i.e. they must be sent by God). This can be either immediate and extraordinary (as Moses was sent directly by God) or mediate and ordinary (as a Catholic priest is sent by the Church’s ordinary authority, but which derives from the Apostles who were sent immediately by Christ). He further argues that if the Reformers were sent immediately by God, they must of necessity have the testimony of miracles to validate their mission, otherwise, no one would be obliged to listen to them.

My view is that God might work miracles outside of the Church, if it would not seem to validate falsehood. For instance, God might miraculously provide food for hungry pagans in it would not encourage idolatry. Or God might work miracles lending support to (non-Catholic) Christian missionaries in Muslim lands, even though what they are preaching is mixed with much error, in order that the name of Christ might not be blasphemed. Also, there can be things which have the appearance of the miracles but are not really miracles. Demons can work in ways that seem supernatural, but only God can work truly outside the natural order. For example, the Pharaoh’s magicians were able to do great feats, but these were undoubtedly not true miracles, but rather the work of demons. St. Paul also speaks of a Son of Perdition who will perform miraculous signs, but also calls them “lying wonders.”

yes and that is one of the reasons i like the church. God, bless Memaw!

yes, many alleged miracles are natural phenomena.

Yes

Benny Hinn - Holy Ghost Fire-- He was raised catholic

benny hinn says he like having catholics at his crucade

becasue they have been trained and taught to believe in miracles–

it is said he received the “mantel” of Kathern kuhlman

youtu.be/KWf9kJZIgHQ

Kathryn Kuhlman healings,miracles and anointing power

youtu.be/6ciFtPrANBk

That is not Christianity. It’s sorcery.

The Spirit blows where He will. If you don’t think there is good and truth and holiness in other religions you’re not looking hard enough. If God can sanctify people from other religions He can work miracles there too.

As a born again Christian we believe in miracles. There are many miracles that take place in my church. People healed from bipolar, diabetes, infertility, deafness, deliverance from demons and whatever else you can think of. My pastor has been invited to other churches around the country and miracles have taken place there also. These are verifiable. People have gone to the doctor and been told their conditions no longer exist and they have no explanation why. They are done in Jesus’ name for the glory of God. My pastor does not heal but it is God that does the healing.

I have a strong feeling that there is much “healing” faked at Pentecostal reeevivals. Where people come in in wheel chairs and walk out on their own. I also have my doubts about what they call “being slain in the spirit” where someone touches them and they fall down backwards.

My grandmother with a third grade education probably sent many thousands to televangelists like Morris Cerullo and the like. For all that trouble she got a bible sent by the phony PTL club. It did not keep her from dying of cancer though and she never touched a cigarette in her life, or touched any alcoholic beverage.

It is very true not everyone is healed and in the end no one gets out of life alive. But the fact remains that God does continue to heal people. How is it fakery to go to a doctor after a person is healed and to be declared healed?

you have not read nostra aetate and dignitatis humanae, have you?

If you had to guess what would you think? :wink:

dont know.

Catholics are raised to believe in real miracles and be cautious of so called “here today and gone tomorrow” ones. God Bless, Memaw

yes.
God, bless Memaw

Without this turning into a Benny Hinn bash fest, the question is being sidestepped on weather God heals outside of the catholic church. What does a “here today gone tomorrow miracle” mean anyway? Please explain.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.