Miracles...Coptic discussion

So I thought I would share some pictures of miracles with everyone.

This one is of St. Mary’s apparition in Zeitoun, Egypt:
coptichymns.net/userpics/zeitun.jpg

This one is a fairly recent one of a man looking at a picture of Pope Kyrillos VI, (the previous pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church), when the man looking at the picture after it was taken, he saw Pope Kyrillos standing behind him, and there are bells on his shoulder of the picture:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/Pope%20Kirollos.jpg

This one here is another picture of Pope Kyrillos, again when the picture was taken one can see St. Mena standing behind him, St. Mena was the pope’s patron saint. (sorry, I don’t know how to resize it on here):
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/St.%20Mina%20and%20Pope%20Kirollos.jpg

This picture was taken in the church of St. Abanoub in Sydney, Austrailia, which shows a little boy standing in front of the curtain of the altar. The picture was taken with no one else in the church, except the man who took the picture. St. Abanoub was martyred as a young boy:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/St.%20Abanoub.jpg

This Picture was taken from Copticpope.org it shows a baby receiving the Holy Spirit at baptism:
coptichymns.net/userpics/12843/Image003%7E0.jpg

It’s claimed that someone took a picture of a Jerusalem alley where people in Christ’s time used to shop, and found the Lord and disciples on the negative- but this miracle was never confirmed by any church. The picture is suppossedly Peter, Jesus and John:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10822/jesus.JPG

So, I love things like this. I think they are so amazing. Let me know what you think!

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Hi Coptic. I am surprised I am the first one replying to you. I was very interested in your photos. I don’t really want to say if I believe they are true miracles because I feel it is none of my business.

In Toronto we have a Coptic Museum. My pharmacist and his wife took me there. The curator gave my friend and myself a private tour of the ikons which were magnificent. The curator is an ikon-writer.

I was intrigued to see the back of the altar. Forgive my lack of terminology. Of course we were not allowed to go there; only to the rail. Apparently there was a miracle there.

I am touched by the hard faith of the Coptics I know. I wish life were not so frightening for them in their homeland.

I particularly like the story of St Anthony of the Desert and the crow who fed him half a loaf of bread. Who was it who visited him and then the crow came with a full loaf of bread? It is very telling that the crow came, because crows are wise birds and kind birds. They are also tricksters, but I digress.

Do you have a Coptic message board? I have some orthodox links (because I love ikons) but no Coptic ones. Do you have any? Oh I made a mistake. I think I have the link to the Coptic Museum in Cairo.

Hi,

www.coptichymns.net is a fairly large coptic message board, which is actually where I got most of the pictures from.

I didn’t know there was a Coptic museum in Canada, I hope to be able to visit it sometime.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

[quote=Coptic]So I thought I would share some pictures of miracles with everyone.

This one is of St. Mary’s apparition in Zeitoun, Egypt:
coptichymns.net/userpics/zeitun.jpg

This one is a fairly recent one of a man looking at a picture of Pope Kyrillos VI, (the previous pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church), when the man looking at the picture after it was taken, he saw Pope Kyrillos standing behind him, and there are bells on his shoulder of the picture:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/Pope%20Kirollos.jpg

This one here is another picture of Pope Kyrillos, again when the picture was taken one can see St. Mena standing behind him, St. Mena was the pope’s patron saint. (sorry, I don’t know how to resize it on here):
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/St.%20Mina%20and%20Pope%20Kirollos.jpg

This picture was taken in the church of St. Abanoub in Sydney, Austrailia, which shows a little boy standing in front of the curtain of the altar. The picture was taken with no one else in the church, except the man who took the picture. St. Abanoub was martyred as a young boy:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10091/St.%20Abanoub.jpg

This Picture was taken from Copticpope.org it shows a baby receiving the Holy Spirit at baptism:
coptichymns.net/userpics/12843/Image003%7E0.jpg

It’s claimed that someone took a picture of a Jerusalem alley where people in Christ’s time used to shop, and found the Lord and disciples on the negative- but this miracle was never confirmed by any church. The picture is suppossedly Peter, Jesus and John:
coptichymns.net/userpics/10822/jesus.JPG

So, I love things like this. I think they are so amazing. Let me know what you think!

God Bless,
Elizabeth
[/quote]

Those are quite awsome:) I have seen Mary on the Church before,I love that too.God is awesome and when he allows miracled like that I get tickled and ask God to make sure some atheists see them:p :wink: God Bless

Some cool stuff! Though as a Photographer I would write off the baptism shot as a light flair on the lens or possibly (and more likely still) the film was light struck while being loaded in the camera. :thumbsup:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Those are quite awsome:) I have seen Mary on the Church before,I love that too.God is awesome and when he allows miracled like that I get tickled and ask God to make sure some atheists see them:p :wink: God Bless
[/quote]

Yes, I have seen Mary on the Church too. Apparently she appears to many non-Christians. I think that is so loving of her. It took me some time to know Mary. Still, for someone who has never heard of her or has heard of her but only in terms of defamatory lies, I think it must be an overwhelming experience to encounter her in a miraculous vision. Oooo, little twinges of envy. But they are not really envy; just desire.

There is an unofficial appearance of Mary in Marmora just east of Toronto near Peterborough. Someone at the Church saw the apparition of the sun.

Church Militant:

[size=3]Some cool stuff! Though as a Photographer I would write off the baptism shot as a light flair on the lens or possibly (and more likely still) the film was light struck while being loaded in the camera.

:thumbsup:
[/size]

I hear ya…some of them are more or less believable than others. And the nonbelievers always have an excuse.

Apparently when St. Mary appeared in Zeitoun, she did so every night for over a year! Those from ALL shorts of religions witnessed the miracle.

Here is another one which happened I think two years ago about 10 miles from where I live. I went to see the window when it happened.
http://www.ananova.com/images/web/58921.jpg

It’s St. Mary holding baby Jesus. It occured at Milton Hospital, in MA. Eventually the hospital removed the window because it was disturbing the day to day business of the hospital.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Those are great pictures Coptic. I love to see pictures of miracles and apparitions.

What does the Coptic Church teach about Mary? Not looking for a debate. Just curious since I have never heard or read about the Coptic theology, Do they call her the mother of God, was she free from sin, do they believe the assumption? I am guessing they pray to her and the other saints.

You can send me a PM if you want, so that you can keep this thread on topic.

Thankyou

We basically believe the same that you do, but I would probably guess in a more toned down manner–meaning we don’t have Hail Marys. But we do honor all of the saints, we pray through their intercession, and we believe in the assumption. In our church Mary is commonly called Theotokos, meaning bearing of God.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

I noticed copts carrying rosaries. Also I saw them sold in coptic religious stores. Do they pray the rosary? Do they have their own type of rosary?

A Coptic friend of mine was more than once a witness of the apparitions at Zeitoun. Very compelling.

Very cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed copts carrying rosaries. Also I saw them sold in coptic religious stores. Do they pray the rosary? Do they have their own type of rosary?

No, we do not pray the rosary. Or at least the Orthodox Coptic Church doesn’t…maybe the Catholic Coptic one does–I don’t know.

A Coptic friend of mine was more than once a witness of the apparitions at Zeitoun. Very compelling.

I would have traveled half way around the world to witness that! It is such an amazing event, which happened every day for over a year!! My parents were in Egypt when it happened…I’ll have to ask my father if he saw it. The stories about it are awesome. All sorts of miracles were happening, and people were being healed left and right of their illnesses–many of which were nonbelievers.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Thanks for sharing Coptic. Those are great! The appearances of our Lady in Egypt are very impressive. I have mentioned them several times to agnostic friends…as about a million people witnessed them all in all. (Or so a SECULAR book on unexplained mysteries I have says). The Marxist dictator of Egypt, even had the area searched for any possible explanation (projection, etc.)…no explanation was ever found. :slight_smile:

I understand our Lady was broadcasted on national Egyptian TV back in the 60s during one of her appearances.

Coptic, do you ever refer to the Blessed Mother as “our Lady”? Or is this a purely Latin term of endearment for the Mary?

In response to your question:

Coptic, do you ever refer to the Blessed Mother as “our Lady”? Or is this a purely Latin term of endearment for the Mary?

One statement automatically came to my mind from the end of St. Basil’s liturgy–this is the one we use most often–which refers to St. Mary as “our lady and queen of us all…” It is spoken by the priest towards the very end of the liturgy, during a part called The Confession. I posted it in context below.

Amen. Amen. Amen. I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath, that this is the life-giving body that your only-begotten Son, our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ took from our lady, queen of us all, the holy Theotokos Saint Mary. He made it one with his divinity without mingling, without confusion and without alteration. He witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate. He gave it up for us upon the holy wood of the cross, of his own will, for us all. Truly I believe that his divinity parted not from his humanity for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye. Given for us for salvation, remission of sins and eternal life to those who partake of him. I believe, I believe, I believe that this is so in truth. Amen.

I always liked this part of the liturgy because when growing up our priest always used to say it with such emotion in his voice and made it sound so meaningfull.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

I read about this several months later, I would like to ask, what was the reason of all of this, Zeitun, copts, muslims, catholics in Egypt, I don´t know, I feel like St Agoustine when he thought about trinity, the two most famous virgins in Europe Lourdes and Fatima, the first was the name of a muslim converted to catholicism there when he conquered the zone in the VIII century and Fatima was the name of Muhammad´s daughter, I say, it´s truth that muslims will go to catholicism and christianism thanks to The Virgin Mary, I don´t know but It´s beautiful to think about it.

Okay, one more picture of St. Mary appearing on some windows on a building in 1996, in Florida

God Bless,
Elizabeth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.