Miracles now-a-days

Let’s be honest, miracles as in the era of Christ, just don’t seem to happen. There are a few unexplained cases, but there may come a time when science does explain them. So why the change if Christianity is the Truth? Why don’t we see people getting cured with withered hands, or one simply touches a lame person and they suddenly can walk again, or individuals rising from the dead?

Is there a faith reason behind this? If God always did these things woiuld it not simply be over played for the wrong reasons?

Hi The Catholic,

Many miracles do still occur. St. Padre Pio healed many people and he is a saint of our times!

Yes but it doesn’t seem to be so widespread like Christ’s were.

Miracles happen often.
Time telescoping can make things look more common in the distant past.We look at X number of major healings and Y number of lesser ones between 435 and 1435 or whatever and say, “Look, in the Middle Ages alone, all these miracles were reported.” Then we look at X/10 big ones and Y/10 smaller ones in the 16th Century and say, “And in the next stage of history, there were so many fewer.” Then we see X/100 big ones, Y/100 smaller ones in the period since 2005 and say, “It’s rare now.” Well, no, we just divide history smaller as it gets closer, so to speak.

But where in the world is someone with a withered hand or one who cannot walk healed? Or someone rising from the dead after he/she is “clinically” dead? Things like this do not happen. I’m not aware. It seems most miracle can be explained naturally. And that makes the miracles of Christ, to me, MORE believable. It’s their rarity that makes them remarkable.

I think there are many “miracles” now adays, but we have figured out a way to help ourselves. People are living long now than they ever did before. Many common diseases back in time have now been contained or eliminated. What does God need to do now? Does he need to have people live to be 150? 200? I think we take advantage of the gifts God gave us. If you lived back in the 200s or 600s or whatever, you would be more astonished by “miracles”. Now adays, we have the causes of allot of things, and can fix them ourselves. God wants us to help our selves, in a moral and humble way.

What miracles are you complaining about not recieving?

There is a lot of noise today.

lol

Let’s be honest, miracles as in the era of Christ, just don’t seem to happen.

**Obviously, you’re not looking in the right places.

St. Elizabeth the New-Martyred Abbess reported many spontaneous miracles and healings at the canonization ceremonies for St. Seraphim of Sarov. She likened it to the days of Our Lord’s earthy sojourn.

And here’s a small one: At this time last year I was diagnosed with Stage IV Chronic Kidney Disease-- failure, in other words. My kidney function was only 22%. It went to a low of 19%; at 15% they start dialysis.

I even went to have the fistula put in my arm to make the access in January.

Beforehand, I went to be anointed.

In February, I expected the date to be set to begin thrice-weekly dialysis. Instead, the nephrologist was surprised to see my kindey function had improved to 40%.

And as of today, when I went to see him (after 3 months) it was 45%! Creatinine level, from a high of 3.5, was only 1.6 (high normal cutoff is 1.5).

The nephrologist was quite puzzled at this. In May (when I was still 40%) he said, “There must be a mistake here. Function doesn’t improve that much.”

And now he says he’s NEVER had a patient show this much return of kidney function.

I attribute this soley to God’s mercy through the grace of the Sacraments of Anointing, Confession, and Communion.

If this is not a miracle, what is it?**

Or someone rising from the dead after he/she is “clinically” dead? Things like this do not happen.

**Funny you should ask this.

As a matter of fact, my cab driver (who was driving me back from my nephrologist today) told me about how he had died and woke up in the morgue.

Now what?**

We have to take into consideration that the book of Acts didn’t tell us what happened every day in the early church. Those things took place over many years. It also seems to be a retelling of what happened from Paul mostly to Luke, the writer, so Paul and anyone else who contributed to it would have naturally told about all the miracles because those miracles are very convincing in evangelism.

So, in my expert opinion, lol, I would say the same things happen today, just as they did back then because the Spirit never left. People are still healed today, devils are still cast out, people still speak in other tongues as the spirit gives them utterance.

I don’t think the number of miracles have diminished, just the % to the % of the population.

In the Gospel we read that Jesus couldn’t perform Miracles in his home town, because they lacked faith.

Today in America we have very little faith, as compared to the early Christians, most Americans go through their entire life well off not worring about how they are going to provide for themselves.

People have always said that the more education you have the more unhappy you become. This is true in our Western society, many unhappy people, many people who lack faith.

When Catholic missionaries go into small town communities that havn’t been exposed to the modern world Miracles still happen, when the modern world influences these societies doubt sets in and their faith is put to the test, some pass the test, some fail the test, and some are still taking the test.

In our modern world today most of us are still taking the test, or have given up and failed the test, not many people have been able in this age to pass the test and that is why there arn’t obvious miracles anymore.

The great thing about the Church is that she allows forgivness allowing us to retake this test over and over again until we can finally pass it.

As long as you don’t give up and fail the test you are garrenteed salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.