Miracles Performed by non-Christians?

Greetings,

As a “cradle Catholic,” I am well aware of the countless authenticated and medicine-confounding miracles performed by the Catholic saints from ancient to modern times. I am genuinely curious, however: has there ever been a documented miracle performed by a non-Catholic Christian or non-Christian monotheist? For example, has a virtuous Muslim ever cured a cancerous tumor, plague-stricken tissue, or bodily injury through the power of Allah, as many saints have through the power of Jesus Christ? This is not in the least a sneering or sarcastic question, so I, in turn, am looking for an honest answer. Thank you!

I would say that neither Catholic, Protestant or non-Christian has ever healed anyone…all healing is by the Providence and Design of God.

I would also like to add, a Catholic priest healed my significant other of congestive heart failure. He layed hands on his heart for 15 minutes and prayed. When he had the eccocardiagram, it showed he went from 15% to 35% out of 60, his heart no longer pooled, it got smaller, as he also had cardiomyopathy which is an enlarged heart, and was taken off of cuamidin after 4 years of nose bleeds. Mind you, he is also only 46 years old.
I truly believe only the power of God works through the Catholic priests and the Saints and that they are the only ones that can heal. Everyone else is fake.

Glad to know that Catholicism has a monopoly on the healing work of God.

CAtholics are NOT the only ones who can heal. Catholics are NOT the only ones who can heal by the power of God. That much cannot be denied.

I would be willing to say that no other group has as much time or money invested in investigating healings and claims of them.

Only God heals, and He chooses whom He wills to use as an instrument of healing. All is pleasantry with Him.

I have traces of scar tissue where once there were small tumors. That happened during a healing service after I left the RCC.

any proof?

God may act through others for purposes unknown, but it seems clear that Jesus must still be the center of the action.

Mark 9:38"Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.“
39"Do not stop him,” Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,

Does that suggest someone without legitimate authority can perform a miracle?

Mark 16:17
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

We are reminded:

Matthew 10:1
He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

Matthew 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

John 20:23
If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

For me, if a miracle was performed/claimed by someone outside of the legitimate authority of Christ I would have to evaluate the conditions and purpose of the miracle. I do not know of any. The truth of a miracle is only for Gods glorification in my view.

We are cautioned:

Matthew 24:5
For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ, ’ and will deceive many

Any proof?

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Salaam/peace

Welcome to the forum .

we ( Muslims ) believe many Prophets such as Moses , Jesus , Muhammed (peace be upon them ) performed miracles by the will & power of God Almighty .

Sometimes sick / injured persons miracally get cured --all praise be to God only.

In my country , it’s very common that people go to Imams
( religious leaders ) for prayer , water etc. Imams pray in the name of God only , recite from holy Quran & tell the sick person to have faith in God only.

I have been both the beneficiary of and a participant in group prayers with the most astonishing results. Not all of them were started by Catholics, and not all the participants were Christian. God doesn’t care who you are, if you pray to Him with love in your heart, He will hear you. If it is His will that your prayer is fulfilled, then it will be. But it cannot be done without God.

The purpose of a miracle is to bring someone to the Truth. The fullness of Truth only resides in the Holy Catholic Church. God is not going to lead someone away from His Truth by leading someone to some other faith or belief through someone who does not believe in His One True Faith. It’s just not going to happen, why would it?

Remember - the miracle is not the healed body, it is the spiritual transformation that occurs within the person or others as a result of that healing (for example). If someone is healed and they don’t grow in their spirituality and come closer to the Truth, then it’s just another medical fluke.

~Liza

Like I said, only Catholic priests have the ability to heal through Jesus Christ.
Benny Hinn? Joke.
All the others a laugh…really sad.

I think the God’s miracles can be done through the non-Christian people as well.

The same I think that God’s word some times could come through non-Christian people , for example , such figures as Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King .

The people did not committed sin , just because they were born in Asia or on Middle East . Right ?
There are areas in the world in some areas of Asia in Africa , where the people are suffering very much.
There are the wars , there are severe famines.
God’s presence is there , the presence of his love , his comfort , his compassion and some times HIS MIRACLES.

IMO, it is the power of God that heals and He chooses whom He will. The scriptures have instances where He uses non-believers to further His divine purposes.

Please name the Scripture in which these “non-believers” heal

I don’t think the prior poster claimed an example where a non-believer “healed” others in scripture, but rather than God uses non-believers throughout the scriptures for his divine purposes (Pharoh being one of many examples). It is certainly within God’s power and providence to use a non-believer as a vessel for the peforming of a healing or miracle, if that is His will.

The claim that only “Catholics” can heal is really not supportable. Even within the teaching of the Catholic Church - christians who are outside the Church are “Christian” in the Holy Spirit (just according the the Church, not possessing the fullness of the faith).

I’m not sure God uses the same “boxes” we tend to create for ourselves. I believe Jesus/God is the way - beyond that, we can/will debate for centuries the rest :slight_smile:

There have been many documented cases of Catholic priests healing the sick and the lame. Christ had given this gift to the Catholic priests and continues to do so.
Do you know that a Catholic priest is the only person who can perform an Excorcism and succeed? No one else has the power to drive out evil except for these holy men. Then why wouldn’t God also give them the power to heal?
A true story. A young man many years ago was posessed by the devil at eight years old. They were Lutheran. When they called their Lutheran minister, he replied “You need to call a Catholic priest, as he is the only one who can perform and drive out the demon.”

I don’t agree with your premise that only a Catholic priest has the ability to heal or excise a demononic presence. You may believe this to be true - others equally believe that there are Christians (not in communion with the Catholic church) who have the power to heal. I’m not suggesting that a Catholic priest lacks this power if he is in fact so empowered by the Holy Spirit, just the claim of exclusive healing power among Christians.

In any event, I will put my trust in God and believe He is soverign. The scriptures talk about christians (not just apostles and bishops) having different gifts of the Holy Spirit - some the power of healing, some the power of prophecy, some the power of tounges, etc. This isn’t a monopoly of the Catholic Church, it is a gift of God.

Blessings,

Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.