"Mirror, Mirror On The Wall.."

When you look at yourself in the mirror, who do you see? Do you like what you see?
The Book of Genesis says: "And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him… (Genesis 1:27). Because God created us in his image and likeness, we have a dignity inherent in us and because Christ died to redeem us, we are precious in the eyes of God. But sometimes because we don’t understand this truth, we short-change ourselves. We settle for less. We act in ways that is not worthy of our status as children of God. In reality, we are all “princes” and “princesses” because our common father is the King of Heaven. You and I are of nobility and destined to inherit a kingdom. What more can we ask for? But just like any inheritance, we have to wait in patience until the day when this inheritance is ours. In the meantime, we try our best to live up to our true identities and act as worthy sons and daughters of a King.

Well…fortunately when I look into my heart, mind and soul, I usually like what I see there, but I don’t know about the mirror.:smiley:

I have to say… I agree!

:shrug:

Awesome, Sister! Thanks for the reminder. I think that the fact that we ARE sons and daughters of the Most High God… “princes and princesses”… is something that the enemy would very much like… for us to forget. :sad_yes:

Certainly does put our existance into a beautiful light. If only we could see ourselves (and more importantly… our neighbors) as our Father in Heaven sees; maybe we would begin to live more as His sons and daughters.

God bless.

Fortunate are they who are born ugly, for just as they most resemble Christ in His bitter Passion, they will most resemble Jesus in His glorious Resurrection on Judgement Day. And this is far from a hollow promise, for if we have suffered and lived with Him, we will reign and live forever with Him.

At best I see myself as a child of God, however most of the time I see how I fail Him :frowning:
When I look into the mirror I see my sins and faults instead of the good I have done. It is a constant struggle to feel like I am deserving of God’s love, although I know that He love’s me even with all my faults. I guess it is the perfectionist coming out in me, I really need to work on that!

God Bless
Amanda

Hello Amanda,

You are not your feelings. During times when you doubt the generosity and personal love of God, go beyond your feelings and purify your intention by reciting this prayer for example: “Father, I know and believe that you love me, help my unbelief!” Leave it at that and be at peace.

Thank you for posting that Sister. It’s very nice. I try to see myself as God sees me. God is insanely in love with me. I’m not insanely in love with myself but I love myself. I must be of great value if God loves me so much as you so perfectly write here.
Thank you for your insights. I liked it.

God bless and peace to you dear Sister:thumbsup::slight_smile:

That is also part of the reason, I think, why God commanded us to love one another as HE loved us. If we make ourselves the measure of the love we ought to give, we can either love less or love too much (in an unhealthy way.) other people. St. Teresa of Avila used to say that if we truly recognize our worth in the eyes of God, we would think twice about committing a sin, however slight it might seem to be. Isn’t that awesome, how loved we are? That is why we owe each other tremendous respect.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.