Misanthropy and being Christian dont mix?

Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or contempt of the human species or human nature. A misanthrope or misanthropist is someone who holds such views or feelings. The word’s origin is from the Greek words μῖσος (misos, “hatred”) and ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, “man, human”). The condition is often confused with asociality.

I definitely have a misanthropic streak. A tendency to distrust humanity and only see their sinful side.
Do I need to get rid of this streak totally in order to be a good Christian?

Because loving God and hating your neighbour are contradictions, aren’t they.

By the way, do any of you have a similar streak? it’s not something I’m proud of, I have to say. Far better to notice a person’s strengths, especially ones whose sins are blatantly obvious to all.

I’m afraid I also have a rather pronounced streak of misanthropy. It’s far less prominent than it was when I was a young man, but it’s there, notwithstanding. It’s one of the many faults I’m working on getting rid of, along with grumbling, complaining, prevaricating, malingering, dissembling, pontificating, procrastinating(you can stop me any time)…

No, they’re not compatible.

In the developed world, there is a tendency to value animals more than people, since animals are innocent and incapable of judging or betraying you.

We are commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves. Putting this into practice requires prayer & courage and comes with the risk of pain. To love is to risk.

Mine did not exist when I was a child, nor as a teenager. It started when I moved from the country to the city. I think that distrust and hypervigilance are traits that one develops in order to survive in the city. Certainly naivety is something you need to avoid. It is easier to trust your fellow man and woman in a small town. Where everyone knows each other well.

And mine has increased dramatically over the last 10 years as I become more insular and less social. I’ve become a cyber citizen and that I know can be unhealthy.

I just need someone like you to communicate with on this forum. I can see you laughing at yourself which is healthy in my view.

I didn’t used to be able to laugh at myself. When I was young I was horribly self-important and serious. Life teaches you that the biggest joke going is that fool looking back at you from the mirror. Whenever I need a good belly laugh I just think of the latest foolishness I’ve committed, then I guffaw for about ninety seconds straight and feel much better!

Much of what is called misogyny these days is actually misanthropy . . .

hawk

good point. feminists don’t realise that some men have an aversion to the human race, not just women.

The flip side is that if one is a misfit or outcast in a small town they stick out like a sore thumb. You can be just another anonymous face in the crowd in a big city.

I’ve noticed people who go around saying how much they love humanity but hate individual people… It’s easy to love in the abstract but more difficult to love individuals. John Lennon could sing about imagining if we all loved one another yet treat his family and others like dirt.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.