Miss America 2016 is Faithful Orthodox Christian

On Sunday, September 13, the twenty-one year old Miss Georgia, Vasiliki “Betty” Cantrell took up the crown and title of Miss America 2016 in the competition’s 95th anniversary held at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Cantrell, who impressed the judges with her vocal performance, is involved in numerous artistic and charitable activities, several among them involving her Greek Orthodox faith.

Cantrell’s name “Vasiliki” fittingly means “royalty” and was given to her in honor of her Greek grandmother. Also of German descent, she celebrates her Greek heritage as part of a Greek dance troupe.

More importantly, she is an avid music student and performer and among her many activities is Byzantine chanting in both Greek and English at her Holy Cross Greek Orthodox parish in Macon, GA. She holds a Bachelor of Music degree in Vocal Performance from Mercer University where she received both academic and music scholarships, and her musical prowess was on display at the Miss America competition when she offered the judges and audience a stunning performance of “Tu Tu Piccolo Iddio!” from the opera Madame Butterfly

pravoslavie.ru/english/82186.htm

Bravo! She has such an amazing opera voice for such a thin woman. I’m not used to seeing that.

Wonderful to hear about her devout faith.

:thumbsup: thanks for that info! glad to hear that her faith is important to her. I never know which channel to watch Miss America anymore. I have watched the show since a young child. Really disappointed Miss America was dropped by a big network. I heard she won the talent also. Sounds like she will make a good Miss America!

Good news , glad to here of her faith in Christ .:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.