Miss California (Carrie Prejean) loses her crown

nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Miss-Calis-Crown-Yanked.html

Pageant officials stripped Carrie Prejean of her title Wednesday.

"This was a decision based solely on contract violations, including Ms. Prejean’s unwillingness to make appearances on behalf of the Miss California USA organization,” stated Miss Califronia USA director Keith Lewis. “After our press conference in New York, we had hoped we would be able to forge a better working relationship. However, since that time it has become abundantly clear that Carrie is unwilling to fulfill her obligations under our contract and work together.”

That’s sad. I have to wonder how much of the decision had to do with her campaigning against gay marriage?

After the response drew heavy criticism she began speaking to crowds opposed to gay marriage, violating a section of her contract that required she clear unsanctioned appearances with pageant officials. About the same time, seminude photos of her began to surface on the Internet.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090610/ap_on_en_ot/us_miss_california

On the other hand, the article cited by Icenine claimed that Ms. Prejean refused to make appearances on behalf of the Miss California organization. So I guess it is unclear as to whether this is a case of management dumping an an embarrassing employee, or whether she truly was refusing to cooperate.

well initially they claimed she violated the contract by getting paid to campgain for prop8, but they had to drop that when it was proven she donated her time and spoke only as carrie never as miss california.

as to the contract violation. well the article really didnt go into detail so its hard to know if it was a legitamate complaint or if they made it up, or tried to force her to do someting unethical(endorse gay marriage) in an attempt to get an excuse. util someone is more forth coming with evidence its hard to say.

A related article from CNN:

"Miss California USA Prejean dethroned

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) – Carrie Prejean has been dethroned as Miss California USA for “contract violations,” including missing scheduled pageant events, according to a state pageant official.

Prejean, 22, retained her title last month despite a controversy over topless photos, missed appearances and her statements against same-sex marriage.

Miss USA pageant owner Donald Trump decided to fire Prejean a month after he gave her a second chance."…

Full article here: cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/10/prejean.dethroned/index.html

She could not have it both ways, either she had to live up to her responsibilities as Miss California or campaign against gay marriage. I’m glad she didn’t sell out her convictions.

Obviously, they decided to keep her until the issue was ought of the mind of the public. That way they could more easily shape the news. Bet they didnt’ guess that the public will notice. I think this does the most to wake up the average Joe about how serious the gay marriage threat is on ordinary life.

When she was accused of not showing up for events the first time, she responded that she was not notified of these events. Wonder if that happened this time too? But they’ll hope the public won’t be interested enough to hear her side but just assume she’s in the wrong, making the pro-homosexual side appear right in the first place for recognizing her unworthiness. It’s an attempt to smear her and to clean up the same sex marriage image too.

Her attorney was just interviewed on Greta Van Susteren and he said that the allegations against her are false and that she has been showing up for her scheduled events.

Under the circumstances, I’ll take her and her attorney’s word over these pageant officials.

This all smells like a set-up and inside baseball. Initially let it slide when the heat is on, and let enough time pass to strip her of her crown with some general/complaints about her being a “diva”…

Anyone who doesn’t think pro-gay lobby doesn’t have influence and will try anything to target and isolate anyone who believes in traditional marriage in the public square is naive…

Anyway, it’s better that her 15 minutes of fame is over, and she’s not tied down to the crown duties, or whatever they may be.

As for Trump having “leverage” in his assertions against Carrie Prejean… Like he has anything to compromise… I believe his backbiting can be explained away with “. . . it’s only business”

and in the beauty pagent business? you couldnt make his stuff up if you tried.

yeah- she liked taking topless photos. . .

Wow if this was my employee, yes I think I would fire her.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525726,00.html

Maybe it is time we tell Trump;

***YOU’RE FIRED!!!***!

Yeah, it’s pretty clear she’s not a sweet delicate thing that got steamrolled by the corporate machine, but an assertive and somewhat self-centered individual. This isn’t necessarily a negative, I think it’s pretty common in performers.

At the some time, it’s worth remembering it was pageant officials who got to pick and choose the emails that were released.

And who’s to say they were really her e-mails?

In this case, Fox News. Most mainstream news sources can be trusted to make reasonable efforts to verify this sort of thing before presenting it as fact.

miss prejean was just on the radio and claims that she did not miss a single function/duty/obligation and that she has been ousted on a complete lie. i believe she is supposed to appear on fox news at some point tonight too.

Yea, I’m sure they verified it with the pageant officials. Who’s to say THEY didn’t fabricate them?

Under these circumstances, I don’t put anything past those people.

Just saw her lawyer and the beauty pageant rep on Greta’s show, plus a replay of her interview with Sean Hannity.

Carrie’s lawyer said pageant told her she was fired for signing a book deal, but wouldn’t answer directly when Greta asked them if this was true. She said she didn’t sign anything, just was in the process of getting permission to sign one. Also, they wanted her to sign that she wouldn’t say anything negative about the pageant or officials, she thought she should be able to freely tell her side.

They said she wouldn’t go to appearances. Lawyer said they asked her to go to the debut of a documentary about homosexuality, pro of course, but not go officially. Just unofficially. Pageant guy agrees that happened, but added that they gave her a list of 20+ places she could make her unofficial appearance. Didn’t discuss whether those 20 were all pro-homosexual events. Didn’t discuss the purpose of going, was it to get Carrie assaulted, or to give the impression that she is now pro-gay marriage? I can’t think of any other reason to go unofficially.

Greta asked new Ms. CA her position on same sex marriage. She laughed about how silly it was to ask a beauty queen, then said she supports the peoples right to decide. So Greta says, you mean since the voters decided against, then you’re against it? :eek: She backpedalled, and said that she’s for individual decisions. What’s extra funny about this is the pageant rep earlier said that Carrie was not able to handle questions about this issue well with the press, and then their replacement messes it up.

Carrie told Sean that all the emails were not released by the pageant, just some. She claims there’s about 70 of them.

Lawyer said the decision to sue has not been made, it would take up 2 years of Carrie’s life.

i saw the interview tonight with Carrie and she has had a lawyer working with her since this whole thing blew up and i don’t think the lawyer would advise her not to show up for something that she was under contract to do. it sounds like there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and that they were looking for anything to give them reason to fire her. i also think someone should tell donald trump that he is fired. why did he fight for her in the beginning and stand up for her and then not back her up now? it makes me have a really low opinion of the pageant world and the way donald trump is running things.
after feeling so happy about keeping her crown i can imagine the disappointment she must feel now - especially because she is being made to feel that her beliefs are wrong and that she is being punished almost to set an example.

Because expressing personal opinions and old topless photos are not violations of the contract. When you win the pageant you become a paid employee of the Miss California USA Organization. She consistently blew off appearances, refused to schedule appearances, and refused to fulfill her contractual obligations. You can’t do those things and expect Donald Trump, or any employer for that matter, not to fire you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.