Miss my old church

I’m a baptized Christian currently attending RCIA, looking to come into the Church at Easter. I’ve been attending Mass for a few months now. I come from an Evangelical background.

I’m increasingly growing to love it all and I’m beginning to realize what I’ve been missing for so long, and how incomplete Protestantism truly is.

Before I started coming to Mass, I had stopped going to my old church for a few months because I didn’t agree with much that was being preached (I was beginning to accept the Catholic view, though I didn’t recognize that at the time). I think I sort of figured I would end up returning at some point, and when I “left”, it wasn’t really an actual leaving, as much as I just didn’t go anymore. I drifted off, barely no one has noticed, and if they did, they definitely haven’t said anything. My husband and I knew one of the ministers there pretty well because he gave us pre-marital counseling and married us, but other than that, we didn’t have a lot of close relationships, and definitely nothing outside of church. In any case… no real closure.

Now I’m not intending on returning, and I suppose I’m mourning it. I miss it so badly. I miss the singing and the interaction with everyone, actually more the singing/music more than anything. I admittedly miss the feeling of closeness to God that came with it, and kind of feel like I’ve abandoned Him. I think I’ve equated this particular environment with God for so long it’s hard to separate the two. (It’s really all I’ve ever known. I was raised Baptist and have attended Non-Denominational churches since. Liturgy is foreign to me.)

I do recognize that this is mostly emotional and it doesn’t really have anything to do with whether or not I’ll ultimately convert, but, it’s intense, nonetheless.

I think that when I get to participate in the Sacraments, that will help alleviate some of this, and time and RCIA will change things. But, I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways to help combat these current overwhelming emotions and … I guess a sort of loneliness… while I’m waiting?

…and if anyone has talked about anything like this before, maybe point me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

(ack, I’m long-winded!)

–Lauren

catholicforum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy1.htm
our.homewithgod.com/divinemercy/
angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/athepieta.html

Find out if where you live there is a Cum Christo or Cursillo. These are weekend retreats sponsored by the Catholic Church. They are very meaningful, uplifting, full of music, and most of all you will get a sense of belonging. This is where you find what you have experienced in the Protestant arena…only on a Catholic level :slight_smile: This program enriches the Catholic faith and helps it to come alive. It is a weekend where you are given the “tools” for life’s experiences, begin deep and meaningful relationships/friends and experience the love of Christ in a way you haven’t before. I strongly encourage you to make a weekend if you can. Cum Christo and Cursillo are exactly alike except that Cum Christo allows non-Catholics to partispate in the weekends; where Cursillo is just strictly for Catholics.

While this is an excellent idea (for later), I think Cursillo requires that you have already been Catholic for a while. I don’t know about Cum Christo.

Find out if there is a Catholic Charismatic movement in your area. They might provide a style of worship (music, etc.) that is more comfortable for you.

Spend some time in adoration before the Blessed Sacrament (exposed in a monstrance, if that is available to you, or just sitting or kneeling near the tabernacle in your church). Jesus is truly present in the reserved Blessed Sacrament. You are likely to find His quiet peace, which to my mind is better than music-induced emotion. God can speak to our hearts in a still, small voice, in a tiny whisper.

Offer to God the suffering you are experiencing, uniting yourself with the sufferings of Jesus on the Cross, for the salvation of souls. That is a very Catholic thing to do!

It will get easier. God bless you!

Thank you, I’ll check these out in a bit!

-Lauren

Converted 10+ years ago, and I still miss singing. When it gets bad, I stick in some CD’s and crank up the volume and SING my heart out.

I don’t think there is anything like this around here. :frowning: I found a website for Cursillo and the closest is about 3 hours away. I can’t find anything location wise for Cum Christo though.

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of anything Catholic at all in Joplin, Missouri, though. :wink:

I did that last night, lol.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is a Catholic Charismatic movement around here… but I will check around. Though, I was not Charismatic as an Evangelical… unless those words mean two different things in this case. If not, that would be about as new to me as liturgy is. :smiley:

Look for two things in your area. Call the chancery for your diocese to find out whether they have a Charismatic center and/or movement in that particular diocese. Also inquire as to whether there are A.C.T.S. retreats in your area. These are truly wonderful. We have had many conversions to Catholicism in my area because of these retreats. You will remain in my prayers for your journey.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

Thanks, I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

Is there a Life Teen Mass or charismatic meeting in your parish? That might help the transition.

A.C.T.S. pointed the way home to me…showed me everything I had been longing for. They are wonderful.

I presume that Life Teen Masses are for… teens? Yes? lol I’m not a teen. :smiley:

No charismatic meetings around here though. But, as I said to someone else, if charismatic means the same thing in the Catholic world as it does in the Protestant world, then this would be just as new to me as anything else Catholic, as I’ve never been to a Charismatic church.

I would not recommend a Life Teen Mass. They have a dubious origin (dissident priest) and usual liturgical abuses and even sacrileges are committed.

No charismatic meetings around here though. But, as I said to someone else, if charismatic means the same thing in the Catholic world as it does in the Protestant world, then this would be just as new to me as anything else Catholic, as I’ve never been to a Charismatic church.

No, they do not mean exactly the same. In the Catholic Church, all these subgroups must be completely inline with Catholic teaching and the Mass must not be desacralized. You have to be very weary of any group unless they have permission from the bishop (a successor to the Apostles of God).

I meant that because “charismatic” in the Protestant world means speaking in tongues, prophesying and other things that go along with that, which would be completely foreign to me, probably equally as foreign as for example… singing hymns and chants is, if not possibly more.

Well, I think you should go to Mass at an orthodox, good Catholic parish, maybe one where there’re people who are in a similar life situation with you, and you can identify with and make friends with. By the way, is your husband converting also?

Yes, my husband is converting as well.

I am attending an orthodox parish and have no intention of leaving it. I’m honestly a bit confused by your posts. Am I misunderstanding you? Perhaps you have misunderstood me?

If you are simply saying that you don’t recommend a Charismatic church, then there are no worries there. I do not wish to attend one-- assuming of course that I understand what one is (which no one has actually told me yet, so I may not). Beyond that, it would not alleviate the problem of missing my old church (the original post) if it is even more different from my old church than an orthodox Catholic church is (which, as far as I know, it absolutely would be even more foreign to me).

And I wouldn’t be going to a Life Teen Mass, either, as I am not a teen.

The original post was more in terms of what I can do outside of Mass that could help, perhaps during private prayer time or some other way and I think there were some good suggestions here.

So, are we on the same page? :slight_smile:

Yeah. Cool. :thumbsup:

I am attending an orthodox parish and have no intention of leaving it. I’m honestly a bit confused by your posts. Am I misunderstanding you? Perhaps you have misunderstood me?
If you are simply saying that you don’t recommend a Charismatic church, then there are no worries there. I do not wish to attend one-- assuming of course that I understand what one is (which no one has actually told me yet, so I may not).

Charismatic Catholic services are dubious, and not all Catholics are happy about them. They are much like their Protestant counterparts. However, if one were to become involved with that, they must be particularly careful to make sure that they are inline with the Church and approved by the local bishop (successor to the Apostles).

Beyond that, it would not alleviate the problem of missing my old church (the original post) if it is even more different from my old church than an orthodox Catholic church is (which, as far as I know, it absolutely would be even more foreign to me).

You’re right.

And I wouldn’t be going to a Life Teen Mass, either, as I am not a teen.

And you’re orthodox, so that doubly rules them out.

The original post was more in terms of what I can do outside of Mass that could help, perhaps during private prayer time or some other way and I think there were some good suggestions here.

So, are we on the same page? :slight_smile:

Are there any Catholic Bible studies or womens’ groups in your parish? Maybe you can prod them to start one? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.