Miss Universe Pageant

I notice that the Miss Universe Pageant is on TV tonight. I always have to chuckle when proponents of beauty pageants try to argue that they are all about talent. I wonder just what effect the beauty pageants have had on our society as a whole over the years? Do we view women as more talented or as objects? In these post women’s liberation days, it seems a paradox that women are still displaying themselves as physical beauties. (Of course, models do it everyday.)
It’s also surprising that by now, in the 21st century, women are not viewed somewhere between the old women’s lib model (“I can be just like a man”) and sex object (I exist for the pleasure of men").
Any thoughts?

[quote=Blanka]I notice that the Miss Universe Pageant is on TV tonight. I always have to chuckle when proponents of beauty pageants try to argue that they are all about talent. I wonder just what effect the beauty pageants have had on our society as a whole over the years? Do we view women as more talented or as objects? In these post women’s liberation days, it seems a paradox that women are still displaying themselves as physical beauties. (Of course, models do it everyday.)
It’s also surprising that by now, in the 21st century, women are not viewed somewhere between the old women’s lib model (“I can be just like a man”) and sex object (I exist for the pleasure of men").
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I think a lot of what passes for “women’s lib” these days really is still “I exist for the pleasure of men.” Birth control, abortion and the whole “sexual revolution” give men easy access to sex any time, or at least the expectation of it. Sex with no consequences often translates into sex with no responsibility (on the part of the male partner.)

I do not think this pageant is trying to hide what it really is. During the opening sequence, it introduced the women by calling them the “world’s hottest women”.

No disrespect to anyone, but when a woman complains about beauty pagents it’s evident that that woman could never win one.

I was hoping Ms. Mexico would win (she came in 4th), but was glad to see Ms. Canada won & not Ms. USA. :smiley:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/cp/entertainment/20050530/e053040a.jpg
**Natalie Glebova **- Ms .Universe 2005
*hubba hubba :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Blanka]I notice that the Miss Universe Pageant is on TV tonight.

[/quote]

Oops, I missed it. :yawn:

There’s so much flesh on TV it’s hardly fun to look at it anymore!

I always have to chuckle when proponents of beauty pageants try to argue that they are all about talent.

Have you ever seen the Mrs. America pageant? It’s been years, so I don’t even know if it is still shown. (I don’t watch much TV.) It was pretty interesting, and seemed more about talent and personality than looks – at least in a higher ratio than most Miss X. pageants.

I wonder just what effect the beauty pageants have had on our society as a whole over the years? Do we view women as more talented or as objects?

Objects, definitely. Some of that talent I’ve seen in pageants is pretty impressive, though. It’s been a couple years since I’ve seen any but I don’t suppose they’ve changed that much.

Any thoughts?

I think it depends who you’re asking. To a modern “gender feminist,” the thought seems to be “men are scum and should be eliminated from all positions of authority and yield to our bidding, and they had better not stand between me and my abortionist.”

Ten years ago I started reading an excellent book on feminism, written by a woman who used to consider herself a feminist back when they weren’t so vicious and evil. Then I gave the book away before I finished it, but it did a good job of showing how the feminist movement has evolved into what it is.

It is by Christina Hoff Summers, and titled Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women.

I was absolutely astounded at some of the stupidity that has been legislated by feminist thinking, such as a Michigan statute that history books had to be rewritten to show an equal amount of information from a woman’s point of view. This resulted in books so convoluted they became meaningless.

Sorry about the near-hijack of the thread. Actually, no I’m not. :smiley:

Alan

I usually love to watch beauty pageant. There is a big difference with pageants of today (in the last 5+ years) and yesterday. In the past, you not only see beauty but brains also. In the past, there would be a COMMON question, usually a difficult moral question. By this, you can judge which woman has the brain. So if the contestant is the loveliest of all but answer stupidly, she wouldn’t win. It was a more challenging pageant. Nowaday, there’s just beauty. The questions that were asked of the contestants were more miscellaneous. It has no wrong or right answer. Just opinions and not even fair for some that get easy question. Don’t know why they did away w/ brains… It just made the winner more real by showing she has a brain and therefore more respected than just another ‘playboy’ chic. The beauty pageant has been degraded.

[quote=Dj Roy Albert]No disrespect to anyone, but when a woman complains about beauty pagents it’s evident that that woman could never win one.

I was hoping Ms. Mexico would win (she came in 4th), but was glad to see Ms. Canada won & not Ms. USA. :smiley:

WOW!! To be able to clone this beauty.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/cp/entertainment/20050530/e053040a.jpg
**Natalie Glebova **- Ms .Universe 2005
hubba hubba :stuck_out_tongue:

http://im.rediff.com/news/2005/may/31nlook.jpg

[/quote]

hehe nice one!:smiley:

is that so? then i better not say anything;) :smiley:

It is frustrating to me.
Women are so beautiful and we prade them around as objects.
I am male and not a feminist…yet this sort of thing kills me…I think women are a precious gift God gave to man and it is terrible how we treat them. The beautiful daughters of our Lord diminished to nothing more than objects of lust.
I have not been perfectly pure, but now, I see the problems with impurity…pagents aren’t there for anything but entertainment. It seems innocent, but it isn’t really.
A truely beautiful woman is humble, patient, pure, modest, and loving…and gives her life to Jesus…she doesn’t have to be perfect, no one is…she just has to strive for holiness…and if she is beautiful on the exterior, than that is wonderful too.

We should pray for our women…

[quote=antiaphrodite]is that so? then i better not say anything;) :smiley:
[/quote]

Cheeky. :slight_smile:

[quote=Dj Roy Albert]Cheeky. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

well, we try:p

Please!

There are tons of contests regarding this or that talent or ability or atribute. Big deal!
Football, horse jumping, ballroom dancing, body building, dog shows, the olimpics.
Pick your interest and theres a competition. Most people consider everyone of these (except one or two) to be a waste of time.

My favorites are football and airshows because I know something about what it takes.

I think that the biggest fans of Miss Universe are girls, women and men who know what it takes to compete in this arena.

This is a beauty pagent not a strip show. I once knew a Miss Univers contestant and can tell you it’s a whole lot more than looking pretty.

If feminists want to turn the Miss Universe Pageant into a talent/success/brains show, then I would propose that Bill Gates and other successful men be nominated to Mr. Universe and get rid of objectifying men as strong brainless cavemen in tights (as the current Mr. Universe Pageant does today). :smiley:

I did watch it and although Ms. Canada was a decent pick. I would have picked Ms. Switzerland (or Ms. Latvia), if it were up to me.

I particularly liked the addition of the “National Costume”, it added culture to it:

http://www.missuniverse.com/delegates/2005/images/costume/CZ.jpg

[quote=Dj Roy Albert]No disrespect to anyone, but when a woman complains about beauty pagents it’s evident that that woman could never win one.

[/quote]

:yup: :thumbsup:

Miss USA = http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catbouncy.gif+ http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catconfused.gif= How did she make it to final 10?

Announcing the one and only Miss Universe:

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Flick\My Documents\My Pictures

Im proud to be Canadian :smiley:

The real Miss Universe:

http://www.memorialprayercards.com/Media/Our-Lady-of-Fatima.jpg

Not to get off into a treatise on the whole woman’s lib thing which in a nutshell was a Phyrric victory for women, I do want to note that the current Miss Universe looks like a young Elizabeth Taylor.

[quote=Primitive]It is frustrating to me.
Women are so beautiful and we prade them around as objects.
I am male and not a feminist…yet this sort of thing kills me…I think women are a precious gift God gave to man and it is terrible how we treat them. The beautiful daughters of our Lord diminished to nothing more than objects of lust.
I have not been perfectly pure, but now, I see the problems with impurity…pagents aren’t there for anything but entertainment. It seems innocent, but it isn’t really.
A truely beautiful woman is humble, patient, pure, modest, and loving…and gives her life to Jesus…she doesn’t have to be perfect, no one is…she just has to strive for holiness…and if she is beautiful on the exterior, than that is wonderful too.

We should pray for our women…
[/quote]

What a beautiful reply. Thank God for men like you Primitive who have a Christ-like attitude in virtuous respect for women. :thumbsup:
I think that many men do not realize that it takes a conscious decision by attractive women not to flaunt their appearance and use their physical beauty for the unholy attention of others. Sure it is fun to walk into a room and turn heads. It’s fun to be coy and seductive and gain favors because of one’s appearance. That is how the world would have us behave. I have known women who have been in beauty pageants and sad to say, their lives were pretty superficial. I remember one state pageant winner who expected every man to fawn all over her. If a man didn’t, she became indignant. I also know many (physically) beautiful Christian women who have CHOSEN to live virtuous lives and who are not pageant girls. There really is a different glow about them. It is the glow of virtue, kindness and love as you so eloquently pointed out.
My husband had no interest in watching the pageant. He thinks they are just glorified Las Vegas shows. In fact, he pointed out that somewhere he read that one of the Miss Universe judges was a man from the “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” television show. We both had a good laugh about that. It’s not surprising…just another example of worldly values. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.