Missa deGallo?

Does anyone know what a Missa deGallo is?:shrug:

Mahalo!

Missa del Gallo is Spanish for Midnight Mass. Believe it or not, Midnight Mass is not necessarily solely for Christmas. In fact, on December 12th, many churches have Midnight Mass for Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Thanks Benedictgal!:blush:

Gallo seemed like a curious word for midnight. Turns out it is the word for cock or rooster.

I would guess based on the meaning that the phrase isn’t limited to midnight masses, but could be applied to any predawn mass. Perhaps if benedictgal or others are familiar with predawn, non-midnight masses in Spanish, they can confirm or deny this theory.

I’ve never actually heard of this myself. Coming from a Mexican background, if you say “Misa de Gallo”, everybody understands the Christmas Midnight Mass.

As for the Feast (or Sollemnity for Mexicans) of Our Lady of Guadalupe, what is common in Mexican communities is that many churches celebrate mass at dawn, usually 6 AM. In spite of this insane hour, churches actually get packed.

And from what I understand, the phrase pre-dates the OF. “Misa de Gallo” is what it has always been called.

in the Philippines, Missa deGallo is a 9-day pre-dawn Novena Mass in preparation for Christmas. it starts on the early morning of the 16th of December all the way to pre-dawn of the 24th. locally its known by its Filipino translation, “Simbang Gabi” or literally, Evening Mass (simba = mass or to go to Church, gabi = night or evening)

of course this tradition comes from the Spanish who occupied the Philippines for 333 years. so other Spanish Colonies may also practice this

in recent years, in order to cater to more people, especially those who has to go to school or work, there are also masses celebrated evening from the 15th to the 23rd, usually from 7pm or later. those masses before midnight are called “Simba sa Gabi”, or literally, Masses in the Evening, to spearate it from the other form of Evening Mass which is done post-midnight, pre-dawn (mass starts usually between 4-5am)

ang given the Philippines is predominantly Catholic, the churches are brimming full of people even at that hour

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.