Missal Archive?

Is there an online way to look up the Roman Missals from previous years? I want to know what the scripture readings were on Jauary 27, 2002, but don’t know how or where to look it up.

Thanks
Craig

I don’t know of an online soarce,but here are the readings from my Missal(St.Joseph Missal).Jan.27 2002.3rd Sunday in Ordinary time,Cycle A.Theme is Discipleship.1st.ReadingIs.8:23-9:3.Responsorial Ps.27,The Lord is the light of my salvation.Second Reading:1Co.1:10-13,17.Gospel Mt.4:12-23 or 4:12-17.Hope this helps,Rocky.

The schedule of readings is cyclic, so given the current location in the cycle, it should be possible to find out what you’re looking for.
This looks like a good website to use:
easterbrooks.com/cgi-bin/Cathcal.cgi?20020127

I am reading from the Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition. There is no verse, Isaiah 8:23. Neither is the verse found in my D-R version. Can someone tell me why?

Craig

January 27 2002 was Septuagesima Sunday in 2002, with the Reading 1 Cor 9:27-10:5, and Matt 20:1-16 according to the 1960 rubrics.

The Saint was St Chrisostom, and the Readings 2 Tim 4:1-8 and Matt 5:13-19 , since 1911 he was commemorated only until 1960.

divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl

shows the actual mass, and you may press on Kalendar link and chose other dates. The only version works properly only between 2008 and 2015, but the downloadable standalone version generates the necessary transfer tables for other years too.

Due to copyright limitations the New Mass is not implemented there

I’m not sure about verse 23. I do know that the New American Bible includes verse 23. There are footnotes to the effect that some verses from Isaiah Chapter 14 seem to be mixed up with those from Isaiah Chapter 8. But I did not see an explanation for verse 23.

My NAB has a footnote for 8, 21f: These verses have been transposed and placed within Is 14, 25, which affords the context in which they can be understood.

So it skips from Is 8, 20 to 23, which is the last verse of chapter 8. There is no explanation about where verse 23 came from. Verse 23 reads:

First he degraded the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali; 1 but in the end he has glorified the seaward road, the land West of the Jordan, the District of the Gentiles. Anguish has taken wing, dispelled is darkness; for there is no gloom where but now there was distress.

New American Bible

Why? No, I can’t, however I can tell you that the reading begins:

[quote=Isaiah]First he degraded the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphthali; but in the end he has glorified the seaward road, the land west of the Jordan, the District of the Gentiles
[/quote]

Happily, another way to find out the day’s readings is the check a missal that has a calendar that stretches back that far :wink:

My apologies.I assumed you were in the USA where all readings are from the NAB.Is.8:23 is the same as Is.9:1 in my DR>Challloner edition.The Readings are from my St.Joseph Missal which goes back many years.You can read these in any Missal for cycle "A"3rd Sunday of Ordinary time.Peace,Rocky.

I checked my Catholic bible copyrighted 1951 and Isaias 8 ends with verse 22.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.