Missal before 1962 Recommendation

I have an Angelus Press 1962 missal and looking to pick up one that was published before that, say around 1955.

I saw that Fr. Lassance missal that looks solid but unsure what year that is. Also, any recommendations would be helpful.

I have Lasance , it’s 1945

Compares Angelus Press and Lasance

5 Likes

They just came out with a leather version of the Angelus Press missal. Now it’s perfect, I wish that was available when I was missal shopping! :tired_face:

3 Likes

I just purchased one! Should be here any day. It’s the first new missal I’ve purchased. All of my missals are used.

1 Like

Lucky! You’ll have to tell me how it is!

1 Like

Wait, I have one too, it’s not leather? Is it big difference? I see $20 off coupon code for today!

2 Likes

Ugh I just saw that too lol

I bought mine last Wednesday not realizing they might have a cyber Monday sale.

1 Like

The first one they made isn’t, no:

This one is:

1 Like

I’m half tempted to get it. But even with it 20% off, that’s pretty pricey.

1 Like

Yeah I’m tempted too but would need to buy $120 of stuff to get $100 w free shipping. I already have that and Lasance so maybe wait.

2 Likes

I am using the one from Baronius Press. It is a nice missal. Some of the Latin is printed smaller than the English, but my eyes have not gotten to the point where I can’t read it. :slight_smile: The missal seems to be well made.

I have also heard good things about the one from Angelus as well as the Father Lasance Missal. Check the dates there could be a few differences.

Seems to be pricey. Might as well buy the altar version. Those are really beautiful.

1 Like

I have short arms though and bring at least two books to me with Mass, including the missal, anyway! It might spill out of my arms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, the Altar missal is heavy and I’ve seen servers struggle with taking it from one side of the altar to the other😉.

Has anyone heard of the St. Margaret Missal?

I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on a leather bound gold leaf missal…After regular attendance at Mass, you will become familiar enough with the order of the mass to not need a missal…I’ve attended enough OF masses, and EF masses so that when in a foreign country and the local language is used, I am present in the worship without a missal. Readings are readily available in other sources, and my own opinion is if the Mass is the first moment I am listening to or pondering the daily readings, I haven’t properly prepared myself for the Mass.

The St. Andrew Daily Missal is beautiful and practical; you can find it online in searches for vintage items on Etsy or Ebay. It comes in a little boxed set of four volumes (the liturgical year split into four sections), and each volume is small and easy to slip into a purse or pocket. (Obviously you only need to take one volume with you at any given time. :slightly_smiling_face:) It comes in either leather or imitation leather, and the latter is of course usually priced much lower. I found my 1950s set in a used book store for $15, and it was in excellent condition.

1 Like

I have and recommend the Saint Joseph missal from St. Bonaventure Press.

I second getting the St Andrew missal. It was corrected and reprinted in 1999 (maybe again since then?), but it was not updated, so it still carries the 1945 imprimatur.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.