Missed a day during novena..what to do?

Is there a proper way to take care of this? Do I start over? Or just go go on to the day that would have been yesterday?

Yesterday was supposed to day 7 of a novena to St. Rita of Cascia, but I couldn’t sleep the other night, I ended up getting only two hours of sleep and knocked out way early, then woke up around 11:30 pm…I was really upset that I missed it, I didn’t do the novena, but said a separate prayer to St. Rita, can I go on to day 7 tonight, or is there a proper way to do it?

I have not heard of a proper way that was “official.” What I suggest is proceeding as though you had not missed a day and add on one day for the day missed. Novenas help us to develop a habit of prayer and practice trust in God, that he will hear and answer our prayer. So keep up with the prayers and trust in God’s mercy and generosity.

I usually just double up the next day. If I forget early on I might just restart but if it’s day 5 I would just say the prayers for days 5 and 6 and then continue as normal after that. Novenas are private devotions so there is no right or wrong way to pray them. You can even do a novena in one day (9 hour novenas) or even just recite the nine prayers back to back in an hour or less if you choose.

I just say the novena prayer twice if I forget to say it one day.

Me too.
One early in the morning, one in the evening.

I don’t think that there is any right or wrong way to do it.

I have read where you can just “pick up where you left off.” So if you missed Day 5 for example, just pick up on Day 5 if that is where you left off, for example. Then the next day would be Day 6, and so on, if you want to do it this way.

Or, you can do it like the others have mentioned to get caught up, where you pray the missing day’s Novena prayers as soon as you remember to, and then prayer the day’s prayers for the Novena day that you should be on.

I personally don’t think that it will matter either way as long as you finish it, as I think that it is your good intention that matters. That is how I tend to look at it. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.