Missed Confession

My local parish holds confessions on Saturday from 4-5PM. I showed up a few minutes early and waited with a few others but the priest never showed. I decided to leave at 4:30 as I believed the priest would not be able to make it due to other obligations.

I intend to make another try this Saturday but I was wondering had I
been hit by a bus (may God forbid) or experienced other misfourtune and died would my sins have been forgiven as I showed up for confession ?

Thank you,
Oscar

While the act of showing up for confession does not, in itself, obtain forgiveness of sins it may be an indication of contrition – “sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with a resolution not to sin again” (CCC 1451). Contrition does forgive sins when it is “perfect”. The catechism explains: “When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible” (CCC 1452).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.