Missed Holy Day of Obligation Today (Immaculate Conception) and Confession

I’ve been uncertain all week how I felt about attending mass today for the holy day. I had mostly planned to go, but it’s been a tough week and I can’t say I wanted to attend. I set my alarm last night hoping I would get up and go but still unsure. I woke up early this morning to my job telling me someone was a no show and then ended up at work. I work in a hospital and do our team’s scheduling so when someone doesn’t show I’m then responsible for finding someone or going in myself which I had to do due to the short notice and needing to start the commute which is an hour.

The worst part is I had plans to go to confession today and had been waiting all week to have that opportunity. To say I’m discouraged is an understatement because it seems I can’t have a normal encounter with the sacrament to begin with and when things like this happen it’s hard not to think I’m just not meant to go (similar things happen to prevent it nearly every time I plan on it… and it’s not usually work related). Now I don’t know where I stand in regard to missing mass and am unsure if I should mention it if I decide to try again to go to confession. I hate to go there if I don’t need to as it’s something else for me to struggle through while in the confessional.

Please let me know what you think.

Mortal sins require a voluntary act, but you did not voluntarily choose not to go, per your post, rather you were not able to.

Certain the devil wants to capitalize on these things.

When unsure, always mention.

It sounds like our Lord is teaching you about the grace of the sacrament of reconciliation. The more you relinquish the “struggle” and throw yourself upon His mercy, the more Confession will be a source of liberation and joy for you.

The devil loves to make Confession harder.

Missing mass for a valid reason, which you have, is not wrong. God Bless you it sounds that you are having a rough time. God understands and He loves you. Do the best you can and don’t sweat it.

Thank you for the replies. I will try to go back this afternoon and hopefully things will go smoothly.

At least you didn’t just forget, even after reminding yourself all week, like I did :roll_eyes: I struggle with absent mindedness and depression. Sounds like you struggle with life’s circumstances. We try, we fail, we try again. I’ll try not to let my absent mindedness defeat me again and you try not to get discouraged? Maybe if we both pray for each other, it will get better, yes? :thinking::hugs:

I’m sorry to hear this. I do also have depression which certainly doesn’t make things easier. I did not make it back to the church today as I should have. I had been doing so well with this for several months I’m quite ashamed of that. I will remember you in my prayers tonight. Please remember me in yours.

Definitely!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.