Missed Mass

My wife and daughter are out of town visiting relatives and I have been home my 10 y/o son who has been sick with the flu since Christmas day. He has not had any “problem” holding in the little he eats today but is still sniffling some and although he seems better now I decided not to attend Mass today or this evening. I am kind of feeling bad about not doing so but I think it is for the best. Not only for him but for others around us. I do think he and I could have gone but I just didn’t like the thought of him being weak and possibly still being able to spread what he has to others or pick up something else in his weak state. He is just lately starting to eat again although not normal amounts.

Anyway…My point is I am still feeling kind of guilty because I could have went with him but I still feel it would have been selfish in some ways. I told him that since we didn’t go to Mass that I would read over the readings and reflection on Laudate at his bedtime and maybe try to attend one daily Mass this coming week with the entire family.

Am I being overly scrupulous in your opinion ? :confused:

Just wondered your thoughts

You did the right thing. It’s an act of charity not to expose others to your son’s current - and your potentially - contagious virus.

God Bless you! :slight_smile:

Yes you are being scrupulous.

You are being overly scrupulous.

Anytime you wonder about missing Mass because of illness, be it your own or that of a child you are caring for, please consider this:

patheos.com/blogs/rebeccafrech/2014/12/please-dont-go-to-mass-this-christmas.html

Thank you for keeping your ill child away from Mass. I wish more would do the same.

DGB

Thanks for all your comments and the link. I feel better about my decision. I know it seems logical from an outsider looking in but sometimes ones mind dealing with the situation can become clouded and over scrupulous if you think you are doing something not pleasing to God. Thanks again!

you are excused by the CCC 2181

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless** excused for a serious reason** (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Not only did you care for your child, you cared for that Grandma/pa sitting two pews up that won’t catch the flu tonight.

SO,
:blessyou:
and Offer this up to our Lord our God, you sacrificed attending the Mass to attend to your child… offer this sacrifice up and allow the Lord to use this to help someone in need.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.