Missed my holy day of obligation :(

Its not about being special. This happens to be one of the things that fall in the competency of the local bishop or Episcopal Conference. So they can make a decision on it. In the US they decided to abrogate it. In other Episcopal Conferences in other parts of the world, they may have done the same, others may have kept the Obligation.

I can understand moving other holidays because those days being work days, it may be harder for people who work to go to church. But days of obligation on non-working days such as Jan 1st shouldn’t have the same issue. I guess US bishops are just avoiding confusion on 2-fers, or perhaps by past experience they found out that it wasn’t well attended anyway.

The reference to Canon 1246 is there to indicate which canon gives the USCCB permission to decide what the HDOs will be for the US. Having referenced the relevant canon, the USCCB decrees that these 6 are the HDOs for the US. Three of these HDOs see the precept of attending Mass abrogated when they fall on Saturdays or Mondays. I agree with JM3, only the precept to attend Mass is abrogated, not the HDO itself.

When it comes to the other 4 HDOs named by Rome, which were abrogated and which were simply transferred to a Sunday? The USCCB document does not say.

Is it like Canada with Body & Blood of Christ transferred to a Sunday and “St. Joseph”; “Saint Peter and Saint Paul” abrogated and “Epiphany” transferred to the Sunday after January 1 unless Jan. 6 comes first (as it will next year) in which case it’s abrogated?

I think the very nature of a “Holy Day of Obligation” pivots on the fact of the “obligation” to attend Mass …if it ceases to be a day of obligation (to attend Mass) it would seem it one would not then need to treat it as a “Holy Day of obligation” in other respects.

If it is not a Holy Day of Obligation one year…it is not a “Holy Day of Obligation” that year. For the obligation has been removed (and the other obligations or aspects of the day hinge on if it is a HDO)

It is a solemnity this year…as the Official Calendar of the US notes.

Solemnities are very important…but there is no obligation in regards to them.

If that were the case it would pertain to canon 1247 not 1246, but 1247 is not referenced by USCCB. There are also additional headings showing 1246.2.
usccb.org/norms/1246.htm

There are some transfers in addition to the holy days of obligation abolished, which were promulgated in 1984 and 1999. Taken all together we have the following abolished and transferred:

1 Mary, Mother of God (abolished if Sat or Mon)
2 Epiphany (transferred)
3 St. Joseph (abolished)
4 Ascension (may be transferred)
5 Corpus Christi (transferred)
6 Sts. Peter and Paul (abolished)
7 Assumption (abolished if Sat or Mon)
8 All Saints (abolished if Sat or Mon)

No change to these:

9 Immaculate Conception
10 Christmas

I’m no canon lawyer, though I could play one on TV. :wink:

But the document doesn’t say that HDO 1, 7 & 8 are abrogated on Saturdays and Mondays. No, it specifically refers to only one of the precepts listed in 1247, the precept to attend Mass.

There’s a world of difference between
“If 1, 7 & 8 fall on Mondays or Saturdays, the precept to attend Mass is abrogated.”
and
“If 1, 7 & 8 fall on Mondays or Saturdays, the Holy Day of Obligation is abrogated.”

It may be it seems though that the intent of the Bishops here was to make sure people know that the Day is still there…Masses will be still celebrated and it is still a solemnity…but the emphasis on the Mass attendance was to make it clear that one is not obliged to go to Mass those days. One can see the very use of the language of “not a Holy Day of Obligation” on the official Liturgical Calendar of the USA as also noting this intention. I really do not think they are going to remove the major obligation of a Holy Day and then keep the other obligations that only exist due to it being a Holy Day of Obligation (it is a Holy Day of Obligation chiefly due to the Obligation to attend Mass).

I think you mean 1246 not 1247 there.

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holydays of obligation, the faithful are obliged to assist at Mass. They are also to abstain from such work or business that would inhibit the worship to be given to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, or the due relaxation of mind and body.

Canon 1246 gives the power to abolish or transfer, when approved by the Holy See, rather than the power to modify how it is observed (can. 1247).

It is because the bishops requested the change and it was approved by the Holy See:
usccb.org/norms/1246.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.