Missed Sunday Mass?

By accident I missed Sunday mass this morning because I subconsciously put my alarm clock off and I got up to late, is this a mortal sin and should I confess it before going to mass again or is it ok since I didn't miss it on purpose?

[quote="CanadianMickey, post:1, topic:293329"]
By accident I missed Sunday mass this morning because I subconsciously put my alarm clock off and I got up to late, is this a mortal sin and should I confess it before going to mass again or is it ok since I didn't miss it on purpose?

[/quote]

First -I would remind you that a person cannot sin by accident - sin must be made consciously -you must know the gravity of the sin and decide - purposely -` to commit it ...

Second -Confession is very good for us ... and even small sins hurt us - so you can go to confession in cases are that are less then mortal ;) and the more often you go the better off you are .. scrupulosity though is not something to strive for ...

Third -do you only have one option - in my location there are evening masses available - in my own parish now -but also in adjoining parishes -` search out a later opportunity

Last -` do not make this a habit :D

Check for evening Masses in your area. Even if you have to drive a parish or two over it is worth it!

I recommend that you go to confession before you receive communion again - not because something you did accidentally is a mortal sin, but because confession is good for us. The discipline of going to confession and the graces you receive from sacramental confession (even when you confes venial sins) will help you to get up and going next Sunday!

If you missed by accident then don't worry about it; if it makes you feel weird, you can bring it up next time you go to confession.

No sin involved, you were not consciously sinning. Of course, if you have the chance to go to Mass this evening still, you need to, otherwise, it would be a sin (even if you need to travel outside your normal parish).

And of course, you should try and see if you could figure out an arrangement with your clock so it doesn't happen again. :)

And move the clock out of reach. :D

[quote="YADA, post:2, topic:293329"]
First -I would remind you that a person cannot sin by accident - sin must be made consciously -you must know the gravity of the sin and decide - purposely -` to commit it ...

Second -Confession is very good for us ... and even small sins hurt us - so you can go to confession in cases are that are less then mortal ;) and the more often you go the better off you are .. scrupulosity though is not something to strive for ...

Third -do you only have one option - in my location there are evening masses available - in my own parish now -but also in adjoining parishes -` search out a later opportunity

Last -` do not make this a habit :D

[/quote]

Awesome answers!! :yup:

:thankyou:…:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.