Missed Vocation

I had a couple of experiences where God indicated what my vocations were (marriage and career-wise). My faith failed and I effectively said no to God, despite many opportunities to say yes. Will God ever call me again? I feel spiritually dead.

[quote="c333, post:1, topic:218263"]
I had a couple of experiences where God indicated what my vocations were (marriage and career-wise). My faith failed and I effectively said no to God, despite many opportunities to say yes. Will God ever call me again? I feel spiritually dead.

[/quote]

I am sorry that you feel this way. There is always hope. I put God off on things in my life for 30 to 35 years. I just finally surrendered to him on my knees and told Him I would do what He wanted, not what I wanted. Actually, I don't believe God ever stops calling you, I think we just stop listening. Anyway, after 17 years out of school, I will be 62, I am studying for my masters in pastoral theology and will be devoting the rest of my life to God's plans, not my own. So don't give up. Just give yourself to Him and let Him tell you what He wants you to do at this point in your life. I know 30 years ago I should have done what I am doing now, but I refused him. So He never gives up on you, we only give up on Him.

I hope this will help you.

your vocation today is your state in life today, yes God can call you at any time to change that and move in another direction (your career is not necessarily your vocation, but a way to live it out). What he will not do is tell you to be unhappy in or neglect the duties of your current vocation due to remorse or guilt.

Thank you both for your answers, they do both give some hope. I guess my fears are that since I didn't perservere, I'm going to hell anyway, and God doesn't seem to be guiding me at all. I feel like I have no sense of intuition and a diminished conscience (if any). I used to be very conscientious, but have compromised my work ethic and integrity.

[quote="c333, post:4, topic:218263"]
Thank you both for your answers, they do both give some hope. I guess my fears are that since I didn't perservere, I'm going to hell anyway, and God doesn't seem to be guiding me at all. I feel like I have no sense of intuition and a diminished conscience (if any). I used to be very conscientious, but have compromised my work ethic and integrity.

[/quote]

Why don't you make a good confession to God and let Him do the rest. He knows what He wants you to do for Him, but you must reach the point where you are truly open to Him and want to do what He wants you to. I believe by your first post, God is calling you. He is allowing you to know that He still wants you to do His Will. Otherwise, this would not trouble or concern you. This was my experience.

I pray that you will not give up hope in His mercy. We must never believe that our sins are greater than His love. He is always calling you to Himself; it’s not that He has stopped calling, it’s that we don’t always listen. Have you been to confession and spent time with Our Lord in The Blessed Sacrament? If not, please do so and continue to. Go to Mass and receive Him as much as you are able. Pray the Rosary; this is much help for our spiritual journey. I hope that you will listen and go back to Him.

OP,

Realize that vocation is not just our gift to God, it is God's gift to us. He intends to give us the graces proper to the state to which we are called. However, this does not mean that God abandons us if we fail in this sense.

The perfect example is Pope St. Peter. He was called to be the leader of the Church. Yet, as Christ was being persecuted, he denied him three times. But what happened after? Peter was forgiven, and amended his life.

In the same way, it is illogical and uncharitable to continue to beat yourself up over the past if you have truly repented of it. The moment you leave the confessional and finish penance is the moment you truly should be a new person, a person that does not identify any longer with the person that did the past actions.

God can and will work with us exactly where we are.

The apostles and Christ's closest followers are again a great testament to His divine nature. He called poor fishermen and a prostitute, among others. God takes the weak and makes them strong.

Offer him yourself. Give yourself to him by participating frequently in the sacraments (particularly Mass and Reconciliation), and spend time in Eucharistic Adoration. No one is broken beyond God's ability to repair. Trust in His mercy, and seek His love, and He will not disappoint you.

Seek to grow in devotion to Our Blessed Mother, and read the lives of the Saints. There are plenty of other great things to do, but just take little steps. These are merely recommendations from me, and I don't have any authority whatsoever, so take them with a grain of salt.

I will say a prayer for you!

In Christ Through Mary,

+VNV+

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.