Missing Holy Days of Obligation because no means of transportation

Hey guys, recently I have tried to persuade my parents to bringing the family to Holy Days of Obligation. Only problem is that most of the time they say that are too tired from work or that they have work the next day. My siblings also are not the most excited when it comes to going to church for any reason. These two reasons just make it near impossible to persuade everyone in my family to go to church. Therefore, I miss days of Holy Obligation even though I really want to go with all my heart. I am 17 years old and I just feel terrible for not going to the Holy Days of Obligation. Is this a mortal sin because I currently have no other means of transportation? I really can’t wait until I get a car and start driving my self to church. But until then Im just being held back. If I do end up going without my family then I would feel even worse because I feel as if they are committing a mortal sin and aren’t willing to change. I tried talking to everyone but all I get is a “ok” or “maybe”, never a concrete answer.

Im sorry for the vent but it’s coming out of true concern for my family.

You can only do for yourself in this matter. When you are able to drive and can go to Church do so whether they go with you or not. Continue to offer to bring them and encourage them to go but you can’t force them. Your example of going may change their minds and help them to start going.

If you are unable to get to Mass there is no sin involved. When you are in a position to get there yourself, your responsibilities will change. (And if you can get a ride with someone else, use public transportation, Uber, or whatever other alternatives there may be, then you can go ahead on your own.)

As far are your parents, pray for them.

I thought of using other means of transportation but Im not sure my parents will allow me to go since I would have to use their money.

Thank you

Public transit a possibility? Would only be a few bucks if so.

sigh

Here are a few principles to live by.

1. No one is bound to the impossible.
  2. No one is bound to the impossible.
  3. No one is bound to the impossible.
  4. Is it really reasonable to think God (or the Church) would impute guilt when there is an impossibility?
  5. No one is bound to the impossible.

And finally.

1. No one is bound to the impossible.

It is not a mortal sin because you can’t make it. I have missed a Sunday mass due to circumstances where I literally couldn’t make it (travel and transportation) and a priest told me it was not a mortal sin.

I missed a few Holy Days last year in College because my Catholic college didn’t have Holy Day masses!! This year they do thankfully!

Last year when I missed the Holy Days, I went on YouTube and watched a Holy Day mass there. I know its not the same as being at mass but its really close! You hear all the readings and a homily and all the prayers so its certainly better then nothing!!

Here are two good YouTube channels for Daily Mass for you to watch on Holy Days or whenever you want to watch mass and can’t make it:

Back in the day, when I was 17, I took city buses, walked, hitchhiked everywhere. Left the house in the morning, made it to school, work, hanging out with friends, and made it back home by bedtime.

However, if you can’t make it in your own circumstances, you can’t make it.

Praise God you are still alive after hitchhiking. We were warned repeatedly not to do that back in the early 1970’s and trust me, it’s a lot more dangerous out there now than it was back then- regardless if you are male or female.

Does the church you attend have a bus available to pick up people who don’t drive?

Is the distance close enough where you could walk?

Don’t you have some sort of part time job?

@honestanswers

You didn’t have the means nor your parents took you to the Mass ,that said, its not a mortal sin ,but you should confess it anyway ,i was sick in bed and couldn’t go for mass ,so when i have been to confession ,the priest advised me even if i was sick or was not able to come on Sundays for a genuine reason ,you should confess then regard less of the same.

second it is said in Acts 16:31 They answered, “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.This is for the wives but you can take this advice for yourself too, 1 Peter 3”Wives, in the same way, accept the authority of your husbands, so that, even if some of them do not obey the word, they may be won over without a word by their wives’ conduct, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. so with good example and purity of your lives and good conduct and respecting your parents ,you can win them over, try to download videos of Fr mike schmitz in the mean time for your siblings and some Catholic books or online content.

If you don’t have the means you don’t have the means. I know of Catholics who now never attend any Catholic masses because their Parish church closed down and there is no public transport to their nearest one.

I find this very hard to believe, frankly, that a priest told you that you had to confess that you were unable to go to Mass for a genuine reason.

That is so blatantly wrong that he either said nothing of the sort, or you misheard or misunderstood him.

If it is true, it is making a mockery of Confession.

@paperwight

No, i had miss mass on a Sunday and on another occasion on a day of obligation ,i was surprised to hear from the Priest ,but, i accepted it, i had no issues with it,i do not know the church’s teaching whether we have to confess it, even though i was sick with high temperature and back ache was unable get out of bed.There is nothing wrong in confess though,we get healing and grace is restored,so kind of satisfied he probably said for the good of my soul .

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

IX. THE EFFECTS OF THIS SACRAMENT

**[1468] "The whole power of the sacrament of Penance consists in restoring us to God’s grace and joining us with him in an intimate friendship."73 Reconciliation with God is thus the purpose and effect of this sacrament. For those who receive the sacrament of Penance with contrite heart and religious disposition, reconciliation "is usually followed by peace and serenity of conscience with strong spiritual consolation."74 Indeed the sacrament of Reconciliation with God brings about a true “spiritual resurrection,” restoration of the dignity and blessings of the life of the children of God, of which the most precious is friendship with God.75

This rule applies to Holy Days of obligation and the Sunday obligation. If you are unable to go to mass because there is no transportation and you live to far from the church to walk to mass, then you are excused from that obligation.
I had an ancestor who kept a diary and on those days when he was unable to get to mass on Sundays for that same reason he wrote that he read from his mass book.

If you are ill then you are excused from the obligation to attend mass.

Well, quite, which makes me wonder if there was a misunderstanding on the priest’s part otherwise he would not have said something so obviously wrong.

OP, could it have been that he did not understand just how ill you were?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.